E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Main dealer finance problem

09-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

Main dealer finance problem

Ok in June this year we ordered a brand new car from a main dealer, it was ordered under a finance contribution offer where the manufacturer pays 1700 towards the PCP - the dealer stated when I specifically asked that even if the car arrived after the promotion finished it would still get the contribution as it was being ordered now.

Car has now turned up, picking up in 4 days and apparently the business manager was going to call me a couple of days ago to sort out the PCP and I was going to get emailed the V5R or something to sign and return. Having had nothing I phoned today and the salesman told me he would chase it up. He then casually mentioned that the PCP offer had expired and so I may aswell pay by debit card or traditional HP/PCP or whatever I wanted as I the promotion had finished. I pointed out that the vehicle had already been ordered during the promotion period etc and he just said back to me that the PCP wasn't proposed therefore it had lost out on the contribution. I left it at that and said I would call back in a bit as I was about to get mad down the phone.

The invoice is somewhere at home, but if I recall correctly he even typed on the invoice the promotion offer to show that it would still have the contribution. I'll find the invoice so thats not a problem, but, am I right in thinking that the deal must still be honoured (sp)?

If they don't play ball what can i do?
      09-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
The invoice is somewhere at home, but if I recall correctly he even typed on the invoice the promotion offer to show that it would still have the contribution. I'll find the invoice so thats not a problem, but, am I right in thinking that the deal must still be honoured (sp)?

If they don't play ball what can i do?
If you have an invoice which states that the promotion would be honoured regardless of when the car was delivered,that is in effect a contract.

If they don't honour it,you could sue them for breach of contract.

Find the invoice,and go and see the Dealer Principal,being fobbed off on the phone is frustrating.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

cheers matey, i'll grab the invoice tonight and i'll go see him tomorrow!
      09-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Sounds very Volkswageny to me...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Tha is not wrong....
      09-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

I ordered a new shape Tuareg (spelling?) back in 2010 prior to me getting the E91. It would have meant me settling the Saab early but the contract hire offer was unbelievable and well worth it. The offer was for cars registered by 31st December 2010 but with the inevitable build delays VW couldn't guarantee delivery in time and absolutely would not confirm they'd honour the price if it arrived late. I cancelled.

My business partner ordered a new A4 Avant earlier this year on a PCP and one of the things that made the vehicle attractive was the contribution from VWFS. Lo and behold there were production delays again but this time the supplying dealer (Vindis Huntingdon) stepped up and offered to cover the contribution. I got the distinct impression they were a little sick of VWFS making offers on orders they couldn't deliver.

Absolutely no help to you but that's my experience with VW/Audi. Good luck with those lovely people up at Meadowhead.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068
I ordered a new shape Tuareg (spelling?) back in 2010 prior to me getting the E91. It would have meant me settling the Saab early but the contract hire offer was unbelievable and well worth it. The offer was for cars registered by 31st December 2010 but with the inevitable build delays VW couldn't guarantee delivery in time and absolutely would not confirm they'd honour the price if it arrived late. I cancelled.

My business partner ordered a new A4 Avant earlier this year on a PCP and one of the things that made the vehicle attractive was the contribution from VWFS. Lo and behold there were production delays again but this time the supplying dealer (Vindis Huntingdon) stepped up and offered to cover the contribution. I got the distinct impression they were a little sick of VWFS making offers on orders they couldn't deliver.

Absolutely no help to you but that's my experience with VW/Audi. Good luck with those lovely people up at Meadowhead.
I'll drop you a call if I need some muscle!!!!
      09-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Muscle? Ha! Remember, you've met me!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well we had a long day Saturday of chat, and the dealers attitude was that we could have an extra 1100 off the car, which is not insignificant, and that was about it! The sales manager/controller/whatever was saying that it was all our fault for not agreeing a finance figure at the time of the sale.

What actually happened was that not having had one of these new fangled PCPs before we didn't know whether to put a high deposit or low deposit, and to ask whether to reduce the balloon etc and the salesman said 'not to worry, we don't have to talk about this yet, it's 3 months before the car gets here, we can do this later', and later on the same day when asked said 'as you are ordering the car now you qualify for the PCP incentive even if it expires'.

All the conversations on Saturday, for over an hour were pretty much like this, in different formats.

Me: 'We were told, explicitly, that we didn't have to sort out the finance yet and that the PCP incentive would apply as the car was being ordered now'.
Them: 'Audi have removed the offer and as such will not be putting in the 1700 incentive, these offers do come and go from time to time and in order to qualify a finance proposal must be made before the offer exprires. Clearly there has been a miscommunication and we are not willing to lose money on the vehicle. We do not order a vehicle to be financed until a proposal is made therefore you can't have wanted finance'.
Me: 'Your salesman told me not to worry about it, I have no idea why he didn't do a proposal or even tell me one needed to be done'.
Them: 'Mr zedman, you've had 3 months to come in and sort the finance out or come and ask about it, why didn't you do it?'
Me: 'Because the salesman told me I didn't have to do it yet, he didn't tell me when i needed to so I figured i'd do it when the car came'.
Them: 'It's like buying a house and waiting for the completion day to sort out a mortgage'
Me: 'No it isn't'

Anyway it went on and on and eventually I accepted the 1100 discount and so have now got the car. Lovely!.

The deals been depressing though, even though the salesman wrote TBC on the finance bit they keep saying they thought it was a cash deal and everything was our fault. Its rediculous, I know nobody wants to admit they're in the wrong but its like we're sat in this so called premium dealership and all we're getting is half baked excuses that keep changing slightly and the salesman lying through his teeth saying he never said that the PCP would be honoured. Really takes the emotional 'shine' off the experience and shows the 'premium' aspect only really applies to the Costa coffee they serve.

Handover yesterday was good, lady was v friendly and took a long time to explain everything but she did ask whether I would be happy to give them excellent feedback on the customer appraisal thing from the manufacturer. I told her she could have 110% but her colleaugues (sp) possibly may not.

Learn't some lessons from this so it's not all bad - always get everything in writing! I normally do but when the salesman said the PCP offer would apply as the car was being ordered now it sounded 'reasonable', I wasn't too fussed when he told me the offer had expired as I thought he would just ring up and sort it out. It was only when i asked him to ring up and try and sort this that I got a firm 'No, theres no point because I know what they'll say' and suddenly everyones attitude changed!!

Thanks for all the advice on the thread guys, much appreciated!

anyway got the car now so heres a pic of it about to come up on the dealers new car delivery lift - its quite amazing.

Last edited by zedman; 09-25-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: copied post
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Ha! That lift is amazing, must be great to see your new motor rise up like that!!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Ha! That lift is amazing, must be great to see your new motor rise up like that!!
its pretty funky!

Not so funky though is going to your wedding in your new car, only to find that someone keyed the side of it whilst the ceremony was going on and now its going to cost 500 to fix!!!

Damn it!
      10-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i

Glad you're 'almost' happy mate, but you should have walked away IMHO.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree.

And congratulations mate. Apart from the car I hope it went well.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068
I agree.

And congratulations mate. Apart from the car I hope it went well.
Cheers buddy

Apart from the A5 being keyed at the wedding (whilst the ribbons were on the front too!), it was a great day.

Not seen you driving round much recently where you been?
      10-03-2012, 03:22 AM   #15
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

You'll have to keep an eye out for a silver Mini Cabriolet ( ) being driven like I stole it. Harry likes it but he's four.

Mine's been at Sytners for 3 weeks getting the dash rattle/crack/clunk/whatever fixed.
Appreciate 0