E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best SQ 10 or 12" Sub

09-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
AWBimmer
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI

Best SQ 10 or 12" Sub

Guys and Gals,

Front stage is almost sorted bar the amp which I've got about a month to research on since my speakers (Morel HO + Technic Harness) are coming from the US.. still debating on which 4/5 chn amp to get..

Onto Subs..
I've got the opportunity to buy a JL 12"W7 used for a great price (around 250 used) OR I've been told to start considering a couple of other subs... FI and Orion HCCA 12.4?!

I'm torn with the idea of going down another route and not JL as had my mind set on that - we all know what happens when you have your mind set on something and someone comes along to suggest there's better out there LOL.

I want something to punch hard, deliver great SQ even when cranked up and not gimme some stupid rattle or SPL shiet! I am NOT interested in window shattering, door hinge removing bass but, I want a Kick!

I listen to HipHop / RnB and car is E92 2006.

What are peoples thoughts on the Orion HCCA 12.4 + Hifonic Brutus 20100D amp (circa 400 used)?

Sam

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom
      09-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
WilliamS
GoofBall

Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Both of the subs you mentioned are not ideally SQ woofers but SPL designed. As well the music you mention again are more geared to SPL and not SQ. The information in front of me make me decide that the W7 is a good woofer for your application. A good SQ sub returns to zero accuratly, plays all notes evenly and clearly without overlapping or playing sloppy adding notes that should not be there. Again Rap/R&B have nothing to do with accuracy usually, they have to do with playing low. The W7 will do that nicely.

Usually a SQ sub will have a lower RMS rating as well, again they arent designed to move huge amount of air, just move with percision. SPL being a big airpump take more power to move more air.

Again if your into that music Genre, the W7 would be a good fit, I would also say the Kicker L7 series in a 10 will give you a nice kick. The HCCA is a monster and dont expect it to be musical but powerful. L7's again great kick, decent frequency range and in a sealed box can be musical but still not as good as say a Morel Audio, IDQ, or some of the FI series.

All things considered, Dayton would be my choice of SQ woofer.
WilliamS is offline   United_States
      09-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
AWBimmer
Brigadier General

Thanks for the insight above buddy.. could you delve more into Dayton's as i've come across them ont he forum but never really know if they're suited... so far I'm more for the w7. Will the Hifonics Brutus 20100D give my 12w7 enough power to do what it does best and some headroom over and above?

w7 is 3ohm I believe.

09-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
WilliamS
GoofBall

Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Daytons are just a more accurate sub er go (SQ)

The w7 is it dual 3 ohm or 6 ohm. Regardless in a ported box the Brutus 20100D should get that cone moving pretty good. Wire the sub to the lowest load possible, 3 ohm or 1.5 ohm and setup the amp accordingly.

Still to what your original post stated, the W7 is more up your alley.
WilliamS is offline   United_States
      09-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
makkan00
Major General

Drives: E90

Sam, if you are looking for SQ, then look no further than W6.
As Goofyguy said, with SQ subs, RMS handling is low and they are more accurate.

The subs you are mentioning are for SPL. On one side you say, you need a good kick and on other side you want SQ. Decided what you want first and then sort out the sub accordingly.
      09-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
AWBimmer
Brigadier General

Sam,
Good point however I've not considered w6 as I believe it may not be enough... I don't know and it's hard to go somewhere to hear them play..

You're correct in that the two I've mentioned are more spl... I guess my question of the 2... Can I get better sq from the w7?

Sam

09-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
kaigoss69
Colonel

Drives: '08 335i

Having owned both, I have to say the W6V2 is by FAR the more accurate sub. It sounds better for rock, pop, jazz & classical. For hip hop R&b etc where a lot of low end output is desired, a W7 would be more suitable.
      09-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
AWBimmer
Brigadier General

12" or 10" Dawgssssssss?????

09-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
AWBimmer
Brigadier General

Also, with all these new front stage speakers AND the W7 which I'm decided on now (just debating between 10 or 12 w7..), would I need extra power? What are all these yellow tops and what not for? NooooOoOooOoOBb!

09-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General

Drives: E90

Go for 12 if you can afford. It is more powerful on papers at least.
You will need a good amp to punch it hard.

Any update on amp for front / rear / underseat subs?
      09-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
AWBimmer
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Go for 12 if you can afford. It is more powerful on papers at least.
You will need a good amp to punch it hard.

Any update on amp for front / rear / underseat subs?
12 it is then.. getting at good price too but dammit it didn't wanna spend anything yet since my front stage isn't even done yet LOL!

I'm think about a Hifonics Brutis 2010D (170 - is what I'm being offered for a used one). The guy is saying he will show me it works if I come to pick it up and not just sell it blindfoldidly lol. What do you think?

What checks can I run to ensure that it's an amp I should be buying and it won't go kaput? He said hes had it for 9/10 months and is selling his car along with an Orion HCCA sub aswell... but I'm def going JL route.

Re: front stage.. my uncle form the US emailed to say hes received the Morely Hybrid Ovations from the US seller I bought from off this forum..and all that's left is TECHNICs harness which is also en route to him - then next month get it hand delivered so avoid postage/customs blah and install it all in November. Re: Underseats, already got my underseat Jehnert XE200s (not SWS as had them in my last set up)... and all I need now is a decent but not too pricey 4 chn Sub!

Which brings me to a dilemma LOL.. plan was to buy a front stage Amp for now and do just the front stage but since I'm being offered a 12w7 for 250 and Hifonics Brutus 2010D for 170 and Sumil's Box which again at a great price... I can't understand how to let them slip out of my hand!!

LOL.. any decent priced 4 chan amp dude.. ideally < 150? Would spend more but since it seems like I'm gonna be buying the bloody boot install gear.. I gotta try and keep all costs to a minimum now LOL..