E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Drivers mirror will not adjust in far enough

09-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
737mechanic

Drives: 2007 328i

Drivers mirror will not adjust in far enough

Ever since we have had our 2007 328i which has been about 1-1/2 years we have not been able to remotely adjust the drivers mirror in far enough to get a good look at the cars next to us. I can see the main housing looks to be a bit farther out than the passenger side. Is there a way to adjust the main housing. The fold up part works great and they unfold fine but it looks as though it folds out a bit to far.
      09-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
galahad05
Colonel

Drives: 335i Sedan

Funny enough, I'd just looked this up a couple of days ago.

With the folding mirrors option (pretty important!) this is what you're supposed to do.

------------
1. fold the mirrors in with that fold-mirrors button
------------
2. by hand, pull the driver's mirror housing back to normal. From my experience the other day, it should be very smooth and easy to do. It will "click" into position back open.
------------
3. Push the fold-mirror button again to unfold both mirrors. In the case of the driver's mirror, it will fold out PAST the normal position.
------------
4. Push the fold-mirror button once more to fold the mirrors back in. The drivers' mirror will fold from waaaaay forward until it folds all the way closed again.
IF you had the problem that this procedure is designed to fix, you'll hear another *click" or even a *snap* as things re-adjust themselves.
------------
5. Once the mirrors are folded back in, push the button one last time to bring the mirrors back to normal.
------------

I got the above from a copy-paste on one of these forums from a BMW TSB regarding the mirror positions.
      09-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
galahad05
Colonel

Found it again. Here's my copy-paste of the original poster's copy-paste of the tsb on another forum.

Quote:
SUBJECT
Power Fold Mirror Position Incorrect

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E63, E64 (6 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E82, E88 (1 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E85, E86, E89 (Z4) equipped with power fold mirrors

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

F01, F02 (7 Series)

SITUATION
One or both mirrors appear to have folded out further than the standard position. The incorrect position of the mirror housing is typically not visually noticeable and as such, the customer typically states that the mirror glass is not in the stored position.

Folding the mirror in and out does not restore the correct mirror housing position.

CAUSE
The mirror has shifted outward from its standard home position. The new position is now stored as the home position.

CORRECTION
Do not replace any parts.

Reset the mirror home position using the following procedure.

PROCEDURE

1. Fold the mirror in using the power fold button on the door switch block.

2. Grasp the folding part of the mirror and fold it outward manually. The mirror housing will disengage from the mirror base and will now be in the breakaway position.

3. Operate the mirror via the power fold button. The mirror will now fold out past the expected end stop.

4. Operate the mirror via the power fold button again to fold the mirror in. When the mirror is fully folded in, the motor will continue to run until a clicking and/or popping sound is heard. This sound is the mirror housing resetting its position.

5. Fold the mirror back out, using the power fold button to ensure it has folded out to the correct position.
      09-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
737mechanic

It took a few tries but it actually worked as far as where the detent stops the mirror. The only problem now is the motor acts like it can not rotate the mirror anymore. When I push the button the mirror moves maybe 1/2in. and stops and when I push the button again it moves back the same 1/2in.

Any idea's on that.
      09-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
galahad05
Colonel

Sounds like the thing got reset the other way (too far).

Did you try repeating the reset procedure? That is, when the mirror is "folded up" (by a couple of inches you said?) manually pull the housing forward back to the normal position, etc.
      09-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
737mechanic

I did somewhat but I didn't want to get it back where it was because now it is at least where I can adjust it and see better. I hardly ever folded the mirrors anyway so I am not to worried about that but I do want to eventually be able to get them working like normal.
      09-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
PR3CI5N
need4speed

Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

You must be short to need the mirrors that inward. Try moving the seat back a little and pulling the steering wheel out.
      10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
737mechanic

galahad05 I pulled the housing cover off and was able to get everything working great. The mirror lines up where it should and it is able to be adjusted properly. Folds in and out perfect. Thanks for your help.

PR3CI5N I'm 5'8" and even if the seat was all the way back it was still not able to be adjusted enough.