E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Evo Mag Tyre Reviews



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,856
iTrader: (1)

Evo Mag Tyre Reviews

As I'm sure you know with these tyre reviews the results can always be taken with a grain of salt, as the type of car used in the test generally varies to what you drive and of course local conditions etc etc, but nevertheless I always read them!

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

The results seem to favour the goodyear F1 A2's quite well which is somewhat as a relief as I had just purchased a set for my 335i
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
kaitan
Major
 
kaitan's Avatar
 
Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

Posts: 1,349
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
As I'm sure you know with these tyre reviews the results can always be taken with a grain of salt, as the type of car used in the test generally varies to what you drive and of course local conditions etc etc, but nevertheless I always read them!

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

The results seem to favour the goodyear F1 A2's quite well which is somewhat as a relief as I had just purchased a set for my 335i
Hey Jekl,

Just wondering how much did you get for the set and what size are they ?

I'm actually in the market to get a set soon. 225/35/19 and 255/30/19 but most likely going for 235/35/19 and 265/30/19. At the moment i'm on RFT and the ride is too harsh and looking at this alternative.
kaitan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,856
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Hey Jekl,

Just wondering how much did you get for the set and what size are they ?

I'm actually in the market to get a set soon. 225/35/19 and 255/30/19 but most likely going for 235/35/19 and 265/30/19. At the moment i'm on RFT and the ride is too harsh and looking at this alternative.
Cheaper then I initially thought thanks to a mate! Around about $1400ish.

I went for 225/35 265/30.

I agree RFT's are too harsh, I compared a RFT off the rim against a similar tyre of the size spec (dia profile) and just pressing down on the tyre there was a lot more give in the conventional tyre. They are also meant to be a lot quieter which isn't really an issue with the RFT's as I currently think they are quite as is
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
kaitan
Major
 
kaitan's Avatar
 
Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

Posts: 1,349
iTrader: (1)

You bought it local i presume?? care to share where??
kaitan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #5
dontask
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: White BMW 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

Thats not too bad. It cost 1400 to ship a set of 4 of the same tire from the states (4 x 265/35/18). BUT that doesn't include fitting, disposal, pickup from the depot, etc.
__________________

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
dontask is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,856
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
You bought it local i presume?? care to share where??
I can try and get you a set if you wish?
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,856
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask View Post
Thats not too bad. It cost 1400 to ship a set of 4 of the same tire from the states (4 x 265/35/18). BUT that doesn't include fitting, disposal, pickup from the depot, etc.
I have a mate into muscle cars, and he knows a hot rod builder who ships over a few containers a month, I have been meaning to ask him if he can grab me some tyres its crazy how cheap tyres are in the us! (well everything is I guess!)
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
Zen
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney Aus

Posts: 598
iTrader: (0)

I'm also in the market for new tyres as well as I've got a rear left leak / puncture today.

Can't decide to stick with RFT or switch to non-RFT.
__________________
08' E92 335I
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Zen is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
samchuang33
Captain
 
samchuang33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 330d LCI Sport
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 748
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
As I'm sure you know with these tyre reviews the results can always be taken with a grain of salt, as the type of car used in the test generally varies to what you drive and of course local conditions etc etc, but nevertheless I always read them!

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

The results seem to favour the goodyear F1 A2's quite well which is somewhat as a relief as I had just purchased a set for my 335i
Nice find and thx for sharing.

What happened to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport? I would love to see the compare PSS instead of the PS3.
__________________
2009 LCI 330d Sport Auto
Space Grey, Sunroof, 18", Professional Nav, Individual Audio

Diesel POWER!!!!!!!
samchuang33 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Scootah
Private First Class
 
Scootah's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lost

Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

Ive got continental 5p all round on my car , i have no comparison point , but general cornering grip seems to be fine , however traction (or lack of it) is a big issue

Might need to try Michelin PSS when these wear out , which at current rate wont be too long
Scootah is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Zen
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney Aus

Posts: 598
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootah View Post
Ive got continental 5p all round on my car , i have no comparison point , but general cornering grip seems to be fine , however traction (or lack of it) is a big issue

Might need to try Michelin PSS when these wear out , which at current rate wont be too long
One of my rim is cracked so I need a new set of rims and also a good excuse to ditch those bloody bridgestone rfts and fit some proper tyres. So off I went to get a few quotes, and boy.. the Michelin are so expensive. 1 of the shop quoted me RRP $3300 for all 4 Michelin PSS tyres and wouldn't even give me some sort of discounts.

So at the moment, I think about getting a set of Pirelli's P-Zero. Anyone had these before and maybe share their thoughts. Seem like a decent pair of all-rounder from the reviews that I had googled.
__________________
08' E92 335I
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Zen is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Scootah
Private First Class
 
Scootah's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lost

Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
One of my rim is cracked so I need a new set of rims and also a good excuse to ditch those bloody bridgestone rfts and fit some proper tyres. So off I went to get a few quotes, and boy.. the Michelin are so expensive. 1 of the shop quoted me RRP $3300 for all 4 Michelin PSS tyres and wouldn't even give me some sort of discounts.

So at the moment, I think about getting a set of Pirelli's P-Zero. Anyone had these before and maybe share their thoughts. Seem like a decent pair of all-rounder from the reviews that I had googled.
I had P-Zero on my 325 good tyres , but traction wasnt an issue on the 325 like it is on the 335
Scootah is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
bornadog335i
First Lieutenant
 
bornadog335i's Avatar
 
Drives: Black MY09 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 386
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
One of my rim is cracked so I need a new set of rims and also a good excuse to ditch those bloody bridgestone rfts and fit some proper tyres. So off I went to get a few quotes, and boy.. the Michelin are so expensive. 1 of the shop quoted me RRP $3300 for all 4 Michelin PSS tyres and wouldn't even give me some sort of discounts.

So at the moment, I think about getting a set of Pirelli's P-Zero. Anyone had these before and maybe share their thoughts. Seem like a decent pair of all-rounder from the reviews that I had googled.
Why don't you get some Michelin PSS from tirerack.com? You can get it to Australia for around $1800.
__________________
M Sports Pack, Sapphire Black, Procede Rev 3, Alpina T3 trans flash, Gloss Black GTC wheels with Michelin 19" PSS, Gloss Black BMW Performance Grill
bornadog335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
sbce90
Me Boosta
 
sbce90's Avatar
 
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 5,501
iTrader: (3)

interesting.. gave 1st to conti sc3.. Theres tyres are barely adequate for the C63s rears
sbce90 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
pavo335
Banned
 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90
interesting.. gave 1st to conti sc3.. Theres tyres are barely adequate for the C63s rears
I don't think that's a fair comparison / reflection on the tyre suj?

Btw I'm not a big fan of the conti's too soft and not enough griped go Pirelli or Michelin first
pavo335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
Zen
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney Aus

Posts: 598
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog335i View Post
Why don't you get some Michelin PSS from tirerack.com? You can get it to Australia for around $1800.
I missed my 335i and desperate at the same time, and I couldn't afford to wait 1-2 wk for the tyres to arrive from the US. Therefore I decided to bite the bullet and buy the tyres locally.

Driving my 4x4 and accelerating seems to take an eternity now.
__________________
08' E92 335I
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Zen is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
chappy
Lieutenant
 
chappy's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane Australia

Posts: 595
iTrader: (0)

From 1addicts forums Tirerack has stopped international shipping to Australia as of last Tuesday of Major brands.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743277

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=943889
__________________
THE BEAST Vishnu Procede V5 2.5rev/Stage 2/ AFE DCI Intake /M3 suspension/Forge Intercooler/Alpina B3 AT Flash/Bird's B3 Suspension/BMW OEM M3 Steering Wheel and DCT Paddles/LUX V4 Angel Eyes
chappy is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
bornadog335i
First Lieutenant
 
bornadog335i's Avatar
 
Drives: Black MY09 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 386
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
From 1addicts forums Tirerack has stopped international shipping to Australia as of last Tuesday of Major brands.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743277

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=943889
You can always get it done in other ways, through freight forwarders etc.
__________________
M Sports Pack, Sapphire Black, Procede Rev 3, Alpina T3 trans flash, Gloss Black GTC wheels with Michelin 19" PSS, Gloss Black BMW Performance Grill
bornadog335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
e90luver
New Member
 
Drives: 2005 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
I missed my 335i and desperate at the same time, and I couldn't afford to wait 1-2 wk for the tyres to arrive from the US. Therefore I decided to bite the bullet and buy the tyres locally.

Driving my 4x4 and accelerating seems to take an eternity now.
I'm considering a switch from Bridgestone RE050A RFT's to the Michellin PSS - however the last time I tried to go non RFT (a set of Conti's I can't remember which model exactly) I was bitterly disappointed with how much feel of the road was lost and how soft the ride was.

Interested to hear what people think of the PSS and if loss of road feel has been an issue.
e90luver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #20
pavo335
Banned
 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

yep lots softer! if you want kidney crunch your gonna have to upgrade shocks or get some coilovers
pavo335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
Zen
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney Aus

Posts: 598
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90luver View Post
I'm considering a switch from Bridgestone RE050A RFT's to the Michellin PSS - however the last time I tried to go non RFT (a set of Conti's I can't remember which model exactly) I was bitterly disappointed with how much feel of the road was lost and how soft the ride was.

Interested to hear what people think of the PSS and if loss of road feel has been an issue.
I had decided on a set of Pirelli PZeros. I will see how that goes. Also managed to get a bmw genuine space saver kit (with the Jack, Gloves etc) on ebay from a UK dealership, costed me around $550 landed (arrives this friday! ). From memory I got quoted from our local dealer$hip $850 for the kit, and wanted to me pay 50% deposit and possibly wait 7 - 10 days for it.
__________________
08' E92 335I
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Zen is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #22
pavo335
Banned
 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

you know those flashy show rooms and service centres dont come cheap. kinda like vagas, they pay for things with peoples gambling loses.
pavo335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST