E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP DIY questions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

HPFP DIY questions

This is more about me being curious about the costs involved in a replacement and trying to figure out why this all has to be done by a dealer. I'm not actually having problems; I'm just weighing the pros/cons of continuing with this platform vs moving on to like an LS3 C6.

I did a bit of searching on the part number, and arrived here:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...3*51*7*592*881

From what this fiche says, the pump is only $325.

Now I've heard horror stories about people paying $2-3k to have one of these replaced. It looks like the actual labor is easy enough, nothing super complicated.

So what am I missing? Why do so many people moan about this fuel pump, so many people on the outside looking in criticize the platform and the rampant fear of having to pay for it out of pocket when a DIYer can get this done for so cheap?
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 1,898
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
This is more about me being curious about the costs involved in a replacement and trying to figure out why this all has to be done by a dealer. I'm not actually having problems; I'm just weighing the pros/cons of continuing with this platform vs moving on to like an LS3 C6.

I did a bit of searching on the part number, and arrived here:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...3*51*7*592*881

From what this fiche says, the pump is only $325.

Now I've heard horror stories about people paying $2-3k to have one of these replaced. It looks like the actual labor is easy enough, nothing super complicated.

So what am I missing? Why do so many people moan about this fuel pump, so many people on the outside looking in criticize the platform and the rampant fear of having to pay for it out of pocket when a DIYer can get this done for so cheap?

1.) This is covered till 120k miles

2.) The new pump seems to have solved all the issues.

3.) The HPFP shouldn't be your determining factor on what platform to go with, there are many bigger limiting factors.

4.) If you did change the hpfp on your own it's not a terribly hard job if youre somewhat mechanically handy, probably a 3 hour job your first time around.

Last edited by pits200; 10-07-2012 at 04:56 PM.
pits200 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
1.) This is covered till 120k miles
This isn't confirmed. Modded cars might void that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
2.) The new pump seems to have solved all the issues.
Not true as people have reported fuel pump problems even with the new one (though not as many); it didn't solve all the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
3.) The HPFP shouldn't be your determining factor on what platform to go with, there are many bigger limiting factors.
A $2k-3k repair on a part that can go out at any time and has no aftermarket replacement options? Yeah, it should definitely be a determining factor on platform. Most other platforms don't pay that much money for transmissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
4.) If you did change the hpfp on your own it's not a terribly hard job if your somewhat mechanically handy, probably a 3 hour job your first time around.
That's not the vibe that I've ever gotten, even though researching the procedure and the parts cost tells me that is true.
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 1,898
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
This isn't confirmed. Modded cars might void that.


Not true as people have reported fuel pump problems even with the new one (though not as many); it didn't solve all the issues.



A $2k-3k repair on a part that can go out at any time and has no aftermarket replacement options? Yeah, it should definitely be a determining factor on platform. Most other platforms don't pay that much money for transmissions.



That's not the vibe that I've ever gotten, even though researching the procedure and the parts cost tells me that is true.
Ok, everything I said was wrong.

Don't ask a question if you don't like the answer.

If you want to mod a car and you think you can't repair the hpfp yourself than you shouldn't be modding cars, simple as that, especially a bmw where things will obviously be more expensive. If someone paid $2-3K for an hpfp repair then they have addtl issues to worry about like $3k brake/rotor replacement, $1000 transmission changes, $150 oil changes and so on.

Also, please show me where there have been prevalent problems with the new version pump. Are you sure it was the new pump that failed, no you aren't because as of now these new pumps have been holding up fine.

Once again I will state, if you are using the determining factor of the hpfp as the sole decision for choosing the n54 over the ls3 then you should probably stick with american muscle which is much easier to fix if you run into any issues.
pits200 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
N55
Major
 
Drives: 2012 335IS E92
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 1,221
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
This isn't confirmed. Modded cars might void that.
ummm yes it is confirmed for 07/08 MY Cars. When you make performance modifications to your car you take that risk.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/05/23...anty-10yr120k/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Not true as people have reported fuel pump problems even with the new one (though not as many); it didn't solve all the issues.
Yeah, but the forums aren't littered with HPFP fail threads like it used to be.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
A $2k-3k repair on a part that can go out at any time and has no aftermarket replacement options? Yeah, it should definitely be a determining factor on platform. Most other platforms don't pay that much money for transmissions.
No aftermarket options as of right now...
__________________
2008 335xi E90 Alpine White - Sold - 8/19/10 > 2011 335xi E90 Jet Black - Sold - 6/27/12 > 2012 335IS E92 Crimson Red - Current

N55 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Ok, everything I said was wrong.
Yup, just about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Don't ask a question if you don't like the answer.
You gave a non-answer because you were wrong. Your 'answer' wasn't even to the question I was asking. I asked if 'I was missing something', you answered with a bunch of false or semi-false statements. So you wanna try again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
If you want to mod a car and you think you can't repair the hpfp yourself than you shouldn't be modding cars, simple as that, especially a bmw where things will obviously be more expensive.
LOL.

Yeah ok there buddy, way to really reach. Never did I ever say I couldn't do the repair myself, it's just that the repair looked so simple and so many people complain that I thought I might be missing anything.

If I wasn't missing anything, then perhaps you could have just said: "No, you're not missing anything, people really just can't work on their own cars."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Also, please show me where there have been prevalent problems with the new version pump. Are you sure it was the new pump that failed, no you aren't because as of now these new pumps have been holding up fine.
I've seen enough reports. There are 2012 335i with multiple blown fuel pumps. Remain willfully ignorant if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Once again I will state, if you are using the determining factor of the hpfp as the sole decision for choosing the n54 over the ls3 then you should probably stick with american muscle which is much easier to fix if you run into any issues.
That's not what you stated. You said
Quote:
The HPFP shouldn't be your determining factor on what platform to go with, there are many bigger limiting factors.
Where I said, mulling the possibility that I AM just missing something and that the repair wasn't easy, that a $2k-3k repair that randomly strikes and has no alternatives is most definitely a limiting factor; it'd be a HUGE limiting factor.
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55 View Post
ummm yes it is confirmed for 07/08 MY Cars. When you make performance modifications to your car you take that risk.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/05/23...anty-10yr120k/
So modded cars, BMWs choice for what that entails I assume, do not get a pump warranty. My point is confirmed, thanks.

Quote:
Yeah, but the forums aren't littered with HPFP fail threads like it used to be.
True, but they still happen and on newer cars with supposedly replaced pumps. Hardly fixing 'all' the problems eh?
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 1,898
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Yup, just about.



You gave a non-answer because you were wrong. Your 'answer' wasn't even to the question I was asking. I asked if 'I was missing something', you answered with a bunch of false or semi-false statements. So you wanna try again?



LOL.

Yeah ok there buddy, way to really reach. Never did I ever say I couldn't do the repair myself, it's just that the repair looked so simple and so many people complain that I thought I might be missing anything.

If I wasn't missing anything, then perhaps you could have just said: "No, you're not missing anything, people really just can't work on their own cars."

If someone paid $2-3K for an hpfp repair then they have addtl issues to worry about like $3k brake/rotor replacement, $1000 transmission changes, $150 oil changes and so on.



I've seen enough reports. There are 2012 335i with multiple blown fuel pumps. Remain willfully ignorant if you wish.



That's not what you stated. You said Where I said, mulling the possibility that I AM just missing something and that the repair wasn't easy, that a $2k-3k repair that randomly strikes and has no alternatives is most definitely a limiting factor; it'd be a HUGE limiting factor.
Not sure why you're so defensive, you're bringing up a topic that has been covered so many times, you're lucky to even be getting any responses to such a riveting thread you've created.

Ask yourself, why do you think no one is diving into hpfp threads anymore and instead is worried more on how to upgrade the lpfp.

I'm not even sure what the answer was you were looking for in regard to your "question".

What is there that you could possibly be missing? If you read this forum, its obvious the hpfp is not a limiting factor being that we have seen many 500-700 hp n54s.

But hey, what do I know, you obviously know better to the question you already asked.
pits200 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
N55
Major
 
Drives: 2012 335IS E92
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 1,221
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
So modded cars, BMWs choice for what that entails I assume, do not get a pump warranty. My point is confirmed, thanks.


True, but they still happen and on newer cars with supposedly replaced pumps. Hardly fixing 'all' the problems eh?


So revert it back to stock and take it in. Roll the dice.....
__________________
2008 335xi E90 Alpine White - Sold - 8/19/10 > 2011 335xi E90 Jet Black - Sold - 6/27/12 > 2012 335IS E92 Crimson Red - Current

N55 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
N55
Major
 
Drives: 2012 335IS E92
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 1,221
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Not sure why you're so defensive, you're bringing up a topic that has been covered so many times, you're lucky to even be getting any responses to such a riveting thread you've created.

Ask yourself, why do you think no one is diving into hpfp threads anymore and instead is worried more on how to upgrade the lpfp.

I'm not even sure what the answer was you were looking for in regard to your "question".

What is there that you could possibly be missing? If you read this forum, its obvious the hpfp is not a limiting factor being that we have seen many 500-700 hp n54s.

But hey, what do I know, you obviously know better to the question you already asked.

+1 i'm done here.
__________________
2008 335xi E90 Alpine White - Sold - 8/19/10 > 2011 335xi E90 Jet Black - Sold - 6/27/12 > 2012 335IS E92 Crimson Red - Current

N55 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST