E90Post
 


Bimmertech
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Car's approaching 70k miles, need maintenance suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
iloseguitarpicks
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335Xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ

Posts: 545
iTrader: (8)

Car's approaching 70k miles, need maintenance suggestions

Hey everyone,

Kind've my first time venturing into the Xi section of the forums, and lately I've been starting to get concerned about my car in terms of ensuring that everything runs ok. I'm approaching 70k miles, and as far as I know none of the fluids have been changed in anything drive-train related, and no parts have been replaced. Doing some brief reading it seems like it's a good idea to look into changing the TC fluid, and potentially the diff fluids too. I've been getting some sort of hard buck sometimes when letting off the gas/the car changes gears, but it could be trans related so I'm not sure yet. Car still has warranty, but I'd rather not bring it in to get charged their inspection cost if it turns out to be something they don't cover. Car's automatic btw.

Any suggestions would be great!

Cheers
__________________
-335xi---Innotech Exhaust---AR 3" Catless---Pro tuned---HPF FMIC---ER Chargepipe---KW V1---Injen DCI---BMW Performance Front Bumper, Rear Spoiler & Door Sills---Vorsteiner wheels---much more-
iloseguitarpicks is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
nailer335
Captain
 
nailer335's Avatar
 
Drives: alpine '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona

Posts: 690
iTrader: (0)

Change all of your fluids, clean/oil your filter(s), do your breaks if you havent done them yet, and be prepared for the day when your water pump gives up the ghost.
nailer335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,471
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Here's what I did at 50k. I do oil changes every 5k-7k. Pads and Rotors were done at 40k.

*Oil/Filter Change (Synthetic 5w/30)
*Brake Fluid
*Coolant Flush
*Transmission Fluid
*Gearbox Oil
*Differential Fluid
*Transfer Case Fluid

If your struts are original, they're overdue for replacement as well. Your braking, and brake maintenance, as well as general safety are the most important elements that suffer from tired suspension, despite much of what you read here about people chasing improved performance and profile aesthetics (which is obviously a great side effect of upgrade/replacement).

The bucking is probabaly mounts getting tired/worn.

This is a big tab to do all at once, so consider breaking it up over the next few months and getting caught up.
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
iloseguitarpicks
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335Xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ

Posts: 545
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Here's what I did at 50k. I do oil changes every 5k-7k. Pads and Rotors were done at 40k.

*Oil/Filter Change (Synthetic 5w/30)
*Brake Fluid
*Coolant Flush
*Transmission Fluid
*Gearbox Oil
*Differential Fluid
*Transfer Case Fluid

If your struts are original, they're overdue for replacement as well. Your braking, and brake maintenance, as well as general safety are the most important elements that suffer from tired suspension, despite much of what you read here about people chasing improved performance and profile aesthetics (which is obviously a great side effect of upgrade/replacement).

The bucking is probabaly mounts getting tired/worn.

This is a big tab to do all at once, so consider breaking it up over the next few months and getting caught up.
I do my oil every 5k, so I stay on top of that at the very least. Brakes are fine, just did rears about 5k ago and fronts about 15k.

All of the other fluids though are what I'm looking to get done over the next couple of months. I know that the trans is said to have a lifetime warranty, but I know many people change it. However, I've also heard that it'll perform better with the original fluid that it had from the start (again, just going off of what I've heard, haven't done too much research into it).

The big thing I need to do is change the suspension. The car is beginning to drive very poorly, and I can feel it in the way that it handles bumps etc. So I think the two big projects for me to get done are going to be the suspension and all of the fluids. This sound right?
__________________
-335xi---Innotech Exhaust---AR 3" Catless---Pro tuned---HPF FMIC---ER Chargepipe---KW V1---Injen DCI---BMW Performance Front Bumper, Rear Spoiler & Door Sills---Vorsteiner wheels---much more-
iloseguitarpicks is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Fresh330
It is what it is
 
Fresh330's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 330xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central NJ

Posts: 300
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I'm curious, are you still using your original battery? I have an '06 330xi with 56K miles and haven't changed my battery yet.
__________________
e90 | LUX 5.0 | Blacklines | 20% Tint | Sirius
Fresh330 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
iloseguitarpicks
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335Xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ

Posts: 545
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh330 View Post
I'm curious, are you still using your original battery? I have an '06 330xi with 56K miles and haven't changed my battery yet.
I am still on the original battery. I've never had any issues in terms of the car dying or anything, so as far as I know it's ok. Could be something to look into though
__________________
-335xi---Innotech Exhaust---AR 3" Catless---Pro tuned---HPF FMIC---ER Chargepipe---KW V1---Injen DCI---BMW Performance Front Bumper, Rear Spoiler & Door Sills---Vorsteiner wheels---much more-
iloseguitarpicks is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
GoRomeo
Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 2,169
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Here's what I did at 50k. I do oil changes every 5k-7k. Pads and Rotors were done at 40k.

*Oil/Filter Change (Synthetic 5w/30)
*Brake Fluid
*Coolant Flush
*Transmission Fluid
*Gearbox Oil
*Differential Fluid
*Transfer Case Fluid

If your struts are original, they're overdue for replacement as well. Your braking, and brake maintenance, as well as general safety are the most important elements that suffer from tired suspension, despite much of what you read here about people chasing improved performance and profile aesthetics (which is obviously a great side effect of upgrade/replacement).

The bucking is probabaly mounts getting tired/worn.

This is a big tab to do all at once, so consider breaking it up over the next few months and getting caught up.
Hi there thanks for the info... How do u know when struts are bad?
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
 
Drives: 2009 e90 2011 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

Posts: 3,095
iTrader: (0)

I found the bavauto maintenance chart to be very helpful: http://bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/e90mc.pdf
__________________

2009 MBM 328| ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 Jet Black 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,471
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloseguitarpicks View Post
The big thing I need to do is change the suspension. The car is beginning to drive very poorly, and I can feel it in the way that it handles bumps etc. So I think the two big projects for me to get done are going to be the suspension and all of the fluids. This sound right?
I went with Bilstein Sport dampers and eibach prokit springs. I didn't want an overly stiff ride like coilivers as I use the car for work, and as a daily driver, but still wanted a nicer stance and better performance. I don't track the car. I'm really pleased.

Here's the review
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664385

Otherwise, do all those fluids above. Lifetime fluid is only if they're paying for it. If you're keeping the car for a while, do the whole list. Fluid maintenance is critical for a long life vehicle.

Oil at 5k is fine, I just found it to still be pretty clean, even at 7k.

I'm still on my original battery.

That bavauto list is pretty close to the cheat sheet I like to use. Good link. I forgot belts. I did mine at 45k.
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
mthomas
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2006 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: lNorth Shore, Lake Tahoe

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

If nobody else mentioned it, look up mike millers old school maintenance. Find the current version, if you email him at roundel magazine, he will send it to you.
mthomas is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
iloseguitarpicks
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335Xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ

Posts: 545
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I went with Bilstein Sport dampers and eibach prokit springs. I didn't want an overly stiff ride like coilivers as I use the car for work, and as a daily driver, but still wanted a nicer stance and better performance. I don't track the car. I'm really pleased.

Here's the review
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664385

Otherwise, do all those fluids above. Lifetime fluid is only if they're paying for it. If you're keeping the car for a while, do the whole list. Fluid maintenance is critical for a long life vehicle.

Oil at 5k is fine, I just found it to still be pretty clean, even at 7k.

I'm still on my original battery.

That bavauto list is pretty close to the cheat sheet I like to use. Good link. I forgot belts. I did mine at 45k.
Its funny you posted the link to that because I read your review earlier and saved the page because thats what I want to do to mine. I need a bit sportier of a setup, but not enough that I don't want to drive it since I DD as well. Great writeup, that's what im gonna buy
__________________
-335xi---Innotech Exhaust---AR 3" Catless---Pro tuned---HPF FMIC---ER Chargepipe---KW V1---Injen DCI---BMW Performance Front Bumper, Rear Spoiler & Door Sills---Vorsteiner wheels---much more-
iloseguitarpicks is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
jeguth1s
Private First Class
 
jeguth1s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cincinnati

Posts: 180
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I went with Bilstein Sport dampers and eibach prokit springs. I didn't want an overly stiff ride like coilivers as I use the car for work, and as a daily driver, but still wanted a nicer stance and better performance. I don't track the car. I'm really pleased.

Here's the review
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664385

Otherwise, do all those fluids above. Lifetime fluid is only if they're paying for it. If you're keeping the car for a while, do the whole list. Fluid maintenance is critical for a long life vehicle.

Oil at 5k is fine, I just found it to still be pretty clean, even at 7k.

I'm still on my original battery.

That bavauto list is pretty close to the cheat sheet I like to use. Good link. I forgot belts. I did mine at 45k.

+1 same set up on 162's. Love it
jeguth1s is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,471
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST