E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > OBD issues, cant communicate with ecu.

12-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

OBD issues, cant communicate with ecu.

Anyone had issues with not being able to communicate through obd ? Randomly my mhd stopped connecting, tried another otg, another cable and even an expensive snap on diag tool and nothing can connect to the obd...

Have checked fuses all seem to be okay, checked connector all seem to be fine, have checked two voltage sources on the obd plug under the impression that one is 12v constant and the other is 12v when ignition on but am not getting anything from that one with ignition on, any ideas about this, tried three cables all no go. I have comfort access and have heard this can be an issue ?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
mikelacy1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

I had the same issue except I didn't have power on the pin that was supposed to be the constant 12v. I checked all the fuses which all tested good as well. Searched through all the forums and couldn't find anything so I broke down, and took it to a shop. They rechecked all the fuses, and connections again which were all good. Told me I would have to bring it back for them to dig deeper, but told me he figured it was either a break in the wire or a bad module. So I went home and removed the module that is connected to the bottom of the fuse panel, and immediately saw some signs of corrosion on the pins of the module. Found one of the pins broken off. Found the place in the harness where the pin had broken off, and it was the pin for the constant 12v to the OBD. Bought a module off eBay, but had to take it back to shop to get the broken pin out of harness. I didn't want to mess it up. When I went back to pick it up guy told me he was able to just plug it back up and was good to go. He didn't have to reprogram the module.
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

Thanks mate have asked the shop to look into it. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
mikelacy1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

No problem. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0