E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Herb Chambers Boston Service Saga - Unbelievable Incompetance, missing obvious parts

10-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2012 135i M-sport 6 sp manual

Herb Chambers Boston Service Saga - Unbelievable Incompetance, missing obvious parts

All,

A little over 2 weeks ago, I started my car in downtown Boston to go to work, and I had violent shaking, RPM's, i.e. misfires. Seeing as this was the first time I've had a problem and I was closer to HC Boston, I immediately drove it in there, even though I knew I'd rather go to Sudbury.

It took them 8 days to initially "fix" the issues and give the car back. Low pressure fuel sensor, replaced 3 injectors, walnut intake blasting (which I had to pay for), software update. There were days I had to call to get an update, SA seemed not really that concerned throughout the whole process.

I got it back on a Thursday night, drove fine home and to work the next day. When I started it up to go home Friday, same misfire problem again. So, obviously agitated, I drove it straight back there. They didn't do any real work until Tuesday (some excuse about Monday, who knows). It was done Wednesday night, apparently, the 3 injectors they put in were faulty right off the bat, so they replaced them again. He told me that the Service Manager would drive it home Wednesday night and back into the dealer on Thursday so we wouldn't have the same problem of me having to come back.

I pick up the car Thursday night (14 days, 2 trips total at this point), and when I start driving away, I immediately hear louder noises I've never heard. Pissed as hell, because there's no way the Service Manager would not have noticed this, I just drove back home, and immediately called Sudbury (whom I've had great experiences with) and told them the story.

Low and behold, I take it in this morning to Sudbury, and the shop foreman was already waiting to take a ride with me. He did hear the noises but said it might just be because of the cleaner intake. But he assured me they'd take a look through since all the work that had been done.

Right as I'm about to get my loaner car, he pops the hood and gasps. There are numerous obvious parts missing. Engine insulation cover, microfilter assembly, there are two sensors just dangling. I never paid much attention to what it looked like but even I knew there was a lot of stuff missing. I could see the strut brace.

The kicker? He lifts up the intake manifold cover ... they forgot to put the bolts back on the intake cover!!! Immediately, he called over the manager, they were dumbfounded. They took pictures of everything, including lifting the manifold cover up to show there were no bolts in there at all. The good thing is, this is obviously the source of increased noise in the cabin.

The best, part, I haven't talked to HC Boston yet, even though they called last Friday for a survey about my recent service visit. I can't wait to call them up and give them their survey.

I mean, honestly, just missing parts and bolts on obviously visual parts. Now I'm concerned about what else might not have been put back together, which isn't obvious to the naked eye.

Do not ever go to HC Boston for anything. I have never dealt with such incompetence in my life.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep

In red is the part completely missing. In blue, that is the piece that has no bolts in it, and is able to be lifted off with one finger.

bmw335iUnderHoodMod by foofunnel
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
crazyinp
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Thanks for the feedback. it is unacceptable for any shop to let the car go without even visual check. Now I really worry who should I bring the my car too.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update. Sudbury called and said that HC Boston said they had the parts, but they were locked in the technicians locker box, and he wasn't in today and they can't get the parts back to Sudbury until tomorrow when he comes in. I'm having Sudbury also go through the rest of the car that was touched during the repairs at HC Boston to make sure they didn't drop a wrench in an injector hole, or something else ridiculous.

Interesting, how do they know the parts are in his locker if it's locked and only he can open it? Sorry, I just can't trust anything HC Boston says anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Not surprised at all. The only thing I would consider from HC Boston is possibly buying a car there. Sorry to hear about all your issues man, glad Sudbury is better.

btw. I am not surprised that a dealership that is surrounded by nice towns would have better service.
2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
TwnTrboCAT1212
The Moose Whisperer
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E92 GIAC S1 335xi 6-MT

Kevin Waters...BMW Sudbury..Hands down Best SA I've ever dealt with. I strongly recommend that anyone with issues schedule an appointment with him and he will take Great care of you. Boston HC sucks in both sales and service from what I've heard and personally experienced.

~Chris~
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwnTrboCAT1212 View Post
Kevin Waters...BMW Sudbury..Hands down Best SA I've ever dealt with. I strongly recommend that anyone with issues schedule an appointment with him and he will take Great care of you. Boston HC sucks in both sales and service from what I've heard and personally experienced.

~Chris~
Yeah, I had him the first time I took my car in after buying it at Sudbury (the seat belt robot broke), and it was a hassle free experience. Car was done in 3 hours after dropping it off in the morning and I picked it up at lunch.

This time, I have someone else, but he (Chris?) has been equally accommodating. Given the fact that even though HC Boston had the parts, I refused to take it back there and I'm having them ship the parts out to Sudbury to install.

All in all, Sudbury is just easier to deal with. When I was taking my car in and our of HC on the way to/from work, it added like 20 to 30 minutes to my commute. That traffic around Allston/Brighton is just chaos. Not to mention the tight squeezes of the service bay/lane and general chaos at their service department.

Crossing my fingers that they get the parts to Sudbury today and get the parts installed so I can get it back today.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
krazyking
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

Yeah HC Boston sucks ballz. I went to get ONE tire balanced and mounted there on a Friday morning at 8AM. They took 2.5 HOURS to do it and charged me $60 for it! I could've got a set of four tires balanced and mounted in that time span for $25 a tire.

And on top of that when I got to work and checked my glove box, the idiots forgot to give me my wheel lock back so I had to go in the next day to pick it up.
      10-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
markusvt
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
I am guessing you won't be giving them 10's on the satisfaction survey?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
LuisSF
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Yeah HC Boston sucks ballz. I went to get ONE tire balanced and mounted there on a Friday morning at 8AM. They took 2.5 HOURS to do it and charged me $60 for it! I could've got a set of four tires balanced and mounted in that time span for $25 a tire.

And on top of that when I got to work and checked my glove box, the idiots forgot to give me my wheel lock back so I had to go in the next day to pick it up.
Dealers always lose my wheel lock key. I think I've had to have them replaced twice!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...future+classic
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

One time I called them for a service issue, and wow I didn't even wanted to go in just by their attitude through the phone. I guess their service stands up to their attitude.
      10-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #12
skeee1
Private
Rep

Drives: 2011 328XI, 2012 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW E90  [0.00]
2012 BMW E93  [0.00]
The best part is that BMW of Sudbury is a Herb Chambers company also.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
LuisSF
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonroy View Post
One time I called them for a service issue, and wow I didn't even wanted to go in just by their attitude through the phone. I guess their service stands up to their attitude.
I've had decent service from HC Boston. The service manager is a really nice guy and has gone above and beyond for me. Still, the technicians have lost my wheel lock key and owners manual before. But the manager always fixes the situation. He might need to fire some techs.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...future+classic
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
no suprise, HC Boston has been like this for over 20 years....only thing keeping them in business is the international students leasing/buying cars their
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
PSEE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2009 335d

they're buying their cars there?

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
krazyking
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
no suprise, HC Boston has been like this for over 20 years....only thing keeping them in business is the international students leasing/buying cars their
Yeah to an extent. Altho, I bought mine used and went all the way down to NJ to pick it up. They also survive largely due to the people who live in the city and can't make it out of the city to other service centers because they only have 1 car. I went there twice, and that's the last time I'll be going there unless its an emergency situation.
      10-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i

BMW of NA How bad it should be before you take action???

BMW Service Centers in MA are rather centers of incompetence and dishonesty. There isn't a single decent one to my experience (please check my previous posts here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717092). Each visit you pay at any of these centers puts your car reliability at risk. My car has scars from each and every visit. Actually the only scars the car has resulted from these visits.

HC of Boston - horrible
BMW of Peabody - horrible
WAGNER BMW - horrible

I didn't try BMW of Sudbury yet but I will .
Next year my warranty will expire and I will now buy the extended one simply because I don't want to deal with these people.
Turner BMW - did someone try them?

Last edited by RMG; 10-24-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep

Drives: F10 M5/F32 435xi

Turner does great work. If you're out of warranty they're definitely a good shop to consider.
There's also Tulley BMW in Manchester and Nashua who are pretty good.
13 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / Color matched side and front grills (lightly tinted LEDs) / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / Hartge Springs / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG View Post
I didn't try BMW of Sudbury yet but I will .
Sudbury corrected the problem immediately and since that's where I bought my car, I've taken it there before (seat belt robot broke). They are much better and their facility is top notch. I've had nothing but good experiences there. Plus, it's so much easier to get in and out of there being there's more space than HC Boston. It's not nearly as hectic so in my mind, that leads to less scrapes and dicking around with customer's cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
MassBimmer
Major General
Rep

Drives: E90 LCI 328i xDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.50]
FWIW I've had my car serviced at Wagner BMW for the past 3 years and they've been great
      10-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #21
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
FWIW I've had my car serviced at Wagner BMW for the past 3 years and they've been great
you're lucky. They destroyed mine. Unbelievable incompetence it's all I can say.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep

Drives: 07 E90 335i Crimson Red

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [2.88]
2002 BMW X5 4.4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Turner does great work. If you're out of warranty they're definitely a good shop to consider.
There's also Tulley BMW in Manchester and Nashua who are pretty good.
BMW of Stratham is good as well. I had them do a walnut blasting. They were out of loaners so they paid for a Enterprise rental.
BMWCCA Member #424823
Appreciate 0