E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How poorly do you treat you car



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
KMEddy
Private First Class
3
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

How poorly do you treat you car

I have noticed the past few weeks around campus that people really don't know how to take care of their cars, or simply do not care about them. Today I was walking to class and saw a E92 335i with damage to the front bumper as if they pulled into or out of a spot and hit another car and it also had a basket ball sized dent in the door. So what I have noticed around campus is that their are a ton of high end cars (Range Rover, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche ect.) that you can tell are completely neglected and abused.. I just don't get how people can let this happen or be okay with this.. Anyone else have similar experiences or stories?

I treat my car like its a child, I know every scratch and imperfection on the car and try and keep those to a minimum.. Just don't get how some people can treat such an expensive possession like crap...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
marshall834
Lieutenant
marshall834's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Biggest Little City in the World

iTrader: (7)

I can relate to the bumper story. In May I hit a rabbit that cracked my lower right bumper cover and it is still there.

I love my car and take care of it, I have just been taking my time looking for a replacement. Worth it too, because I found a used replacement same color really cheap - I don't love it that much to spend an extra $600 to get it fixed right away (that's how much I'm saving). That's my project for tomorrow
__________________
E90 TiAG 335i |6 MT | JB4 | BMS DCI | LUX 5.0

Past:
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
chuddism
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (1)

Not everyone loves cars... And some who do are still objective enough to realize its just a car ^^ (guy above me).

I love my BMW and consider myself a car enthusiast, but at the same time it has a place in life and its not top of the list. I doubt you'll find anyone on here neglecting cars in the areas of maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

- I drive through the carwash instead of the handwash option...

- Sometimes i leave a empty bottle in te car...

- I sometimes eat something in my car...

- Sometimes i get in my car with my football (US: soccer) shoes...

I'm so sorry for my car
__________________
BEFORE: 130i N52 (2006-2011)
NOW: 335xi N55 (2011- )
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
nightops
Lieutenant
nightops's Avatar
6
Rep
472
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E92
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles- Westside

iTrader: (2)

you say campus so i take it these are mainly 'students' with these vehicles. I drove an old vw diesel rabbit to school when i was in college...i think when you have rich parents that give you a range rover or other expensive car to go to school you generally don't have the appreciation one has (like yourself) for taking care of things and trying to make them last along time.
__________________
335i Space Grey Coupe/ppk/ssk/pe exhaust/perf susp
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
ihc95
Major
ihc95's Avatar
12
Rep
1,167
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
OP I am just like you. My car is always clean and I loose sleep over any little imperfection. I hardly ever go WOT on my car because I feel like that can also be considered "abuse." Obviously these students with their high end cars only have them because of the status they provide, not because they are good cars. Thus, they couldnt give a rats ass about the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
KMEddy
Private First Class
3
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

Maybe its just the car enthusiast in me that finds it hard to wrap my mind around this concept
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
BOBKUR
Major
13
Rep
1,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E 90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA

iTrader: (2)

Poor rich kids.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
edirtaynine
Major General
61
Rep
6,093
Posts

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Because the general population dont "care" about cars. Sorry for the shocking news, but car enthusiasts are the minority.

Same goes for almost every "hobby" out there. Some people are super ocd and particular about their shoes/sneakers/heels/etc. and will clean that shit after everytime they wear it. Some people could care less if their shoes get scuffed or wet or whatever.
__________________
e90post killed plastidip
Just say no to painted stock wheels

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
KMEddy
Private First Class
3
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
Because the general population dont "care" about cars. Sorry for the shocking news, but car enthusiasts are the minority.

Same goes for almost every "hobby" out there. Some people are super ocd and particular about their shoes/sneakers/heels/etc. and will clean that shit after everytime they wear it. Some people could care less if their shoes get scuffed or wet or whatever.
I get this, what I don't get is today for example, I parked 2 cars down from an X5 5.0 I think these have only been out for a year or two.. this car was disgustingly filthy and had more dents/scratches/damage then the 1995 corolla that was parked behind it
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
AndreyT
Captain
AndreyT's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
967
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMEddy View Post
Just don't get how some people can treat such an expensive possession like crap...
Well, then you just don't get it.

When people buy cars, especially new ones, they know that eventually they will get their first scratch, first dent, first paint chip, first windshield crack etc. So, they decide in advance which strategy they will follow with regard to such unavoidable incidents. There are two extreme strategies in this case: 1) don't sweat it, it is just a car, 2) clench your teeth and fix every single scratch no matter the cost.

Many people stick to the first strategy. Well, it is their car to do whatever they want with it. Some people pledge to stick to the second strategy, and do at first, but then eventually drift to the first. Very few people manage to remain faithful to the second strategy forever. And those who do usually prefer to accumulate the damage before trying to fix it. This make sense. If your car is often exposed in a damage-prone area (like a dense parking lot full of inexperienced and/or stupid drivers) it makes more sense to wait till you get, say, 5 door dents of 2 bumper scratches before going to the body shop.

What strategy those people of yours are following (if any) - I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
156
Rep
10,685
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier
- I drive through the carwash instead of the handwash option...

- Sometimes i leave a empty bottle in te car...

- I sometimes eat something in my car...

- Sometimes i get in my car with my football (US: soccer) shoes...

I'm so sorry for my car
Check on all the above except for soccer shoes.
Hiking boots are close enough though I guess
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Check on all the above except for soccer shoes.
Hiking boots are close enough though I guess
Only if they have enough mud on them
__________________
BEFORE: 130i N52 (2006-2011)
NOW: 335xi N55 (2011- )
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
bmwforme
First Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: 11' Camry
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
OP I am just like you. My car is always clean and I loose sleep over any little imperfection. I hardly ever go WOT on my car because I feel like that can also be considered "abuse." Obviously these students with their high end cars only have them because of the status they provide, not because they are good cars. Thus, they couldnt give a rats ass about the car itself.
Cobb Tuned 335i... really

its not abuse if you're not flooring it every time you accelerate but sometimes it's nice to feel the power and pulls and the money you spent to have such a car, no need to preserve such a minuscule and even un-proven thing, people on here run Meth + FBO and drive aggressive and spiritedly and have never came out and said they ruined their car, live a little !

but +1 about the status... Almost all of the people I know who own BMWs, can't talk to them about anything, to them it's just a nice brand car BMW, but that's okay because there are things they may appreciate that I could give a crap about
__________________
19
Brooklyn, NYC
320i...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
jhilly8982
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMEddy View Post
I have noticed the past few weeks around campus that people really don't know how to take care of their cars, or simply do not care about them. Today I was walking to class and saw a E92 335i with damage to the front bumper as if they pulled into or out of a spot and hit another car and it also had a basket ball sized dent in the door. So what I have noticed around campus is that their are a ton of high end cars (Range Rover, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche ect.) that you can tell are completely neglected and abused.. I just don't get how people can let this happen or be okay with this.. Anyone else have similar experiences or stories?

I treat my car like its a child, I know every scratch and imperfection on the car and try and keep those to a minimum.. Just don't get how some people can treat such an expensive possession like crap...
Do you go to UVM? Graduated in '06. Lots of BMW, range, mercedes and no students took care of their cars, especially since their parents bought them. Heck, I noticed in Vermont no one had car pride. Lots of unwashed, muddy vehicles. Nature of the area I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
KMEddy
Private First Class
3
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilly8982 View Post
Do you go to UVM? Graduated in '06. Lots of BMW, range, mercedes and no students took care of their cars, especially since their parents bought them. Heck, I noticed in Vermont no one had car pride. Lots of unwashed, muddy vehicles. Nature of the area I guess.
Yes I am referring to UVM campus
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
QC335
Lieutenant
QC335's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: C-17
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Nothing wrong with wanting a spotless car. But it's just a car...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
fireline43
Lieutenant
9
Rep
497
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

to some people, these cars are like a civic to them.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
ny325
Captain
United_States
14
Rep
987
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i jet black spt pkg
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Those are probably the same people that park their car so close to yours, with so many open spots that are not next to your car. Then what do you know, BANG, you now have a door ding. Why? Because they just don't care.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
Envuks
Captain
Envuks's Avatar
8
Rep
718
Posts

 
Drives: '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
I hardly ever go WOT on my car because I feel like that can also be considered "abuse."
I am going to disagree with this logic. Having owned a few turbo cars I have found that they like to be driven. Most have given me more problems when I don't drive them hard. I think they like to get the cobwebs out (my own logic on the end there).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #21
Gator335i
Private First Class
Gator335i's Avatar
4
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gainesville, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
I hardly ever go WOT on my car because I feel like that can also be considered "abuse."
No offense, but if you were to say that to a BMW engineer he'd hurl down curses on you in German and probably punch your lights out!

Remember the name: Bayerische Motoren Worke! It's a BMW, not a Kia! BMW is first and foremost an engine company! BMW's are designed, engineered and built for the nurburgring, the autobahn and every other high speed environment known to mankind.

By not giving it WOT every so often, you're actually doing more harm to it than by trying to preserve it. So, please, pretty please, with sugar on top, drive the f***ing car!

As for the OP's original point, college kids have no business owning expensive luxury cars simply because when you have no skin in the game you don't care about your losses! If junior was making the $1,000/month payments on his fancy ride, I guaran-damn-tee you he'd be watching how he parked it.

As for me, I keep my '07 335i and '12 X5 5.0 covered in a climate controlled garage and know every centimeter of both cars. Whenever I drive them, I inspect them from nose to tail to note the condition and deal with any flaws immediately.

My '93 525i and '97 750il, on the other hand, are my commuter vehicles and I let things slide a bit more with them. I still do a walk around after every trip home, but since they live outside on the driveway I don't try to keep them up to showroom condition. That said, I still treat them better than 90% of the people on the planet treat their cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #22
ndog14
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
1,746
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
- I drive through the carwash instead of the handwash option...

- Sometimes i leave a empty bottle in te car...

- I sometimes eat something in my car...

- Sometimes i get in my car with my football (US: soccer) shoes...

I'm so sorry for my car
Minus the bottles.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST