E90Post
 


Motormavericks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb Stage 1 car E85 fuel benefits?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Malaka1
General
United_States
23

 
Malaka1's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i 6MT Black
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clearwater, FL


Posts: 798
iTrader: (6)

Cobb Stage 1 car E85 fuel benefits?

I am running the Cobb AP Stage 1 aggressive map w/ only a DCI. So I found a local gas station that has E85 I am tempted to mix some in with 93 octane fuel and maybe bump the map to stage 2 aggressive or the E30 map? Would I be able to do that for just a few short runs or no? And would adding E85 make the stage 1 aggressive map any more powerful?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
25

 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR


Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (3)

adding e85 will help with knock retard. Unless you increase your timing / boost you won't see any gains with just fuel.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Ænema
Captain
10

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay


Posts: 961
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
adding e85 will help with knock retard. Unless you increase your timing / boost you won't see any gains with just fuel.
This.
Without adjusting the tune for the ethanol then you won't see any benefit of the added octane. Also, only run the map appropriate for your mods.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
25

 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR


Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
This.
Without adjusting the tune for the ethanol then you won't see any benefit of the added octane. Also, only run the map appropriate for your mods.
I found the OTS maps to be very conservative. I just got my car back from the dealer for new turbos and haven't had the time to install my mods, I've been playing with some of the maps. I put 2 gal of FTW Purple E85 in on @ 8 gal last night and ran the e30 race maps. I have to admit they were a little over the top and was pulling timing, so I dropped back to Stg1 + FMIC Sport and the car was running very well. I should have put 3 gal... Marv85 was with me and was doing some logging and was very impressed at how well the car performed with that map on a 100% stock car.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
marv85
Colonel
United_States
25

 
marv85's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland


Posts: 2,558
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
I found the OTS maps to be very conservative. I just got my car back from the dealer for new turbos and haven't had the time to install my mods, I've been playing with some of the maps. I put 2 gal of FTW Purple E85 in on @ 8 gal last night and ran the e30 race maps. I have to admit they were a little over the top and was pulling timing, so I dropped back to Stg1 + FMIC Sport and the car was running very well. I should have put 3 gal... Marv85 was with me and was doing some logging and was very impressed at how well the car performed with that map on a 100% stock car.
I was equally surprised. your car really liked that map, whether it was boost control, fueling or timing.

did you check those last two logs?
__________________
'10 E92 335i , COBB
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
Ænema
Captain
10

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay


Posts: 961
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
I found the OTS maps to be very conservative. I just got my car back from the dealer for new turbos and haven't had the time to install my mods, I've been playing with some of the maps. I put 2 gal of FTW Purple E85 in on @ 8 gal last night and ran the e30 race maps. I have to admit they were a little over the top and was pulling timing, so I dropped back to Stg1 + FMIC Sport and the car was running very well. I should have put 3 gal... Marv85 was with me and was doing some logging and was very impressed at how well the car performed with that map on a 100% stock car.
The OTS are conservative and they have to be to be handed out to cars running all the different environments they do.

Yeah, it is entirely possible to run "higher" stage maps on ethanol blends and have success. However, it is obvious by you and Marv's posts that you guys are VERY sharp and are much better prepared than the average user to start experimenting with stuff like that. So I always recommend running the "correct map" just because it reduces the chances of something not running right(boost control or timing corrections) because they may not have the insight the more experienced users do to understand what's going on and how to fix it
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
25

 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR


Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
The OTS are conservative and they have to be to be handed out to cars running all the different environments they do.

Yeah, it is entirely possible to run "higher" stage maps on ethanol blends and have success. However, it is obvious by you and Marv's posts that you guys are VERY sharp and are much better prepared than the average user to start experimenting with stuff like that. So I always recommend running the "correct map" just because it reduces the chances of something not running right(boost control or timing corrections) because they may not have the insight the more experienced users do to understand what's going on and how to fix it
True... I completely agree. I personally always pushed the limits... But don't recommend that everyone do the same unless they know what they are looking at or looking for...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
25

 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR


Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
I was equally surprised. your car really liked that map, whether it was boost control, fueling or timing.

did you check those last two logs?
LOL... Nope. I've been so busy i haven't had the time. I have my AP sitting here I need to plug it in and look. Just sat down to check email and messages while my girls are getting ready to go eat breakfast. I'm really hungry and haven't had my coffee yet.. if I don't get my coffee.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
deemarr 335i
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: e90 335i performance edition
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: westchester ny


Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
LOL... Nope. I've been so busy i haven't had the time. I have my AP sitting here I need to plug it in and look. Just sat down to check email and messages while my girls are getting ready to go eat breakfast. I'm really hungry and haven't had my coffee yet.. if I don't get my coffee.
Off topic.....Any updates on your boys N55 ???? Last I heard it was running real good.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
25

 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR


Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemarr 335i View Post
Off topic.....Any updates on your boys N55 ???? Last I heard it was running real good.
Took it over to COBB and rolled it on the Mustang dyno. Now remember this is a AWD car... It made 360 whp and 485 wtq. So it gets it... He's on 20's with stop tech big brakes on all 4 corners with coil overs. Thing is setup for tracking and feels like it's on a rail. He also has a new Stg 2 HPF clutch which he bought a few weeks before the closed up shop.

I was being an ass the other day and told him my stock car with COBB tune would take him out in a 1/4 mile. So we went down to PIR to run. I think it was the first time he had the car on the track. I had a .181 reaction time, .6 quicker off the line and I ended up winning by .15 something.

Just goes to show you a car that has the potential of running high 11's won't run that if you can't drive it. I took advantage of the fact he was nervous and it was his first time at the strip. I also think he said the meth shut off and he was running on map 1. I filled his ww with meth and by default I closed the cap. He doesn't have a vent and it vacuumed and his meth wouldn't flow. My mistake and my advantage... So more than likely he would have smoked me if everything went well, but again that's racing.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
deemarr 335i
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: e90 335i performance edition
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: westchester ny


Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Took it over to COBB and rolled it on the Mustang dyno. Now remember this is a AWD car... It made 360 whp and 485 wtq. So it gets it... He's on 20's with stop tech big brakes on all 4 corners with coil overs. Thing is setup for tracking and feels like it's on a rail. He also has a new Stg 2 HPF clutch which he bought a few weeks before the closed up shop.

I was being an ass the other day and told him my stock car with COBB tune would take him out in a 1/4 mile. So we went down to PIR to run. I think it was the first time he had the car on the track. I had a .181 reaction time, .6 quicker off the line and I ended up winning by .15 something.

Just goes to show you a car that has the potential of running high 11's won't run that if you can't drive it. I took advantage of the fact he was nervous and it was his first time at the strip. I also think he said the meth shut off and he was running on map 1. I filled his ww with meth and by default I closed the cap. He doesn't have a vent and it vacuumed and his meth wouldn't flow. My mistake and my advantage... So more than likely he would have smoked me if everything went well, but again that's racing.
Haha thats true, its all about the driver.....his car makes good power, considering its AWD on a mustang dyno.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
sickem
Freude am fahren
25

 
sickem's Avatar
 
Drives: in the fast lane
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: People's Republic of New Jersey


Posts: 1,946
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
So I'm getting an E40 protune by jake at Ptf on Friday. In anticipation I'd like to see how my lpfp etc is running on an E85 mix...should I just fill up to 40% ethanol and run the E30 race map (with appropriate scalar) so I can log the parameters set forth in the atr help file? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Ænema
Captain
10

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay


Posts: 961
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
So I'm getting an E40 protune by jake at Ptf on Friday. In anticipation I'd like to see how my lpfp etc is running on an E85 mix...should I just fill up to 40% ethanol and run the E30 race map (with appropriate scalar) so I can log the parameters set forth in the atr help file? Thanks.
That's a good place to start. Keep an eye on fuel trims and LPFP numbers and go from there
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #14
MasterWang
Captain
13

 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lawrence, KS


Posts: 740
iTrader: (2)

Corn on the Cobb
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #15
sickem
Freude am fahren
25

 
sickem's Avatar
 
Drives: in the fast lane
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: People's Republic of New Jersey


Posts: 1,946
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
That's a good place to start. Keep an eye on fuel trims and LPFP numbers and go from there
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWang View Post
Corn on the Cobb
indeed (I don't think you're the first one to come up with that one though) ;0)
__________________
Cobb E40 PROtune by Jake@PTF/RR catless DPs/aFe DCI/ETS 5" FMIC/ER CP/Forge DVs/Alpina B3 TCU flash/BMW Perf. Exhaust./BMW Performance Style 313s/M-Tech Rear
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
MasterWang
Captain
13

 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lawrence, KS


Posts: 740
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
indeed (I don't think you're the first one to come up with that one though) ;0)
DARN! I got out of bed just to write that because I thought I was the first one!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
sickem
Freude am fahren
25

 
sickem's Avatar
 
Drives: in the fast lane
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: People's Republic of New Jersey


Posts: 1,946
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWang View Post
DARN! I got out of bed just to write that because I thought I was the first one!
sorry, try again next time!!!
__________________
Cobb E40 PROtune by Jake@PTF/RR catless DPs/aFe DCI/ETS 5" FMIC/ER CP/Forge DVs/Alpina B3 TCU flash/BMW Perf. Exhaust./BMW Performance Style 313s/M-Tech Rear
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Malaka1
General
United_States
23

 
Malaka1's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i 6MT Black
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clearwater, FL


Posts: 798
iTrader: (6)

So I added 6 gallons of E85 yesterday mixed with 6 gallons of 93 and well it definitely feels like it is running better and making more power. This makes me wonder if my car was not liking the Stage 1 aggressive maps to begin with? It is for sure making more power with the E85 and I changed nothing left it on stage 1 aggressive..

One more thing I keep getting the boost pressure to leak code I had a smoke test done a little while ago they found a leak in the vacuum line. Ok so now I can go full throttle 10 times in a row and no code. So how is it that I have a leak but only every now and then during a long 3rd gear pull do I get the engine light and code??wtf
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
Ænema
Captain
10

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay


Posts: 961
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka1 View Post
So I added 6 gallons of E85 yesterday mixed with 6 gallons of 93 and well it definitely feels like it is running better and making more power. This makes me wonder if my car was not liking the Stage 1 aggressive maps to begin with? It is for sure making more power with the E85 and I changed nothing left it on stage 1 aggressive..

One more thing I keep getting the boost pressure to leak code I had a smoke test done a little while ago they found a leak in the vacuum line. Ok so now I can go full throttle 10 times in a row and no code. So how is it that I have a leak but only every now and then during a long 3rd gear pull do I get the engine light and code??wtf
I wouldn't jump into that aggressive of a mix right off, especially if you're not datalogging. Without datalogging, understanding what's going and making adjustments on you're playing a dangerous game...
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST