E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > WTD SWS-8 subs

10-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #45
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I could not find that. I am interested to see what amp is he matching with these?

They are built to go into OEM space. And if you like bass, they do their job perfectly.
I guess it is how you set it up. I get a decent massage when they hit hard.
Don't get me wrong they do a decent job indeed. I was talking purely from a bass head POV, it just didn't do it for me and I was always left craving a sub in the boot. It does wonders in the OEM space and provides music to ears you'd think why BMW didn't put these as standard across most of their cars which are regarded as high end.... beats me TBH.
      10-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #46
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siren_G View Post
im waiting or a used bit one to appear on ebay....but isnt everyone...otherwise it'll be a loc lc6i.
whats the maxdepth of the enclosure under the seats?
Yeah there was one up for sale on ebay the other day at at wicked price but got sold :s

I used to have one but that got sold too.. make sure you go for the Bit one.1 (that's the newer / updated version) which doesn't give off any noise issues. You'll have to sit through and manually time align and the rest of it but they are bullet proof like MS8.

Always gonna' be two sides to this debate.. MS8 or Bit One... I had this when I was doing my research last year.. went with the bit one as the price was too good to refuse, got sold in my previous car and now I've bough an MS8. There's one going on ebay actually so consider that too.

Both do wonders and for less than RRP price you can't go wrong TBH. The difference is really whether you have the time and equipment and patience to manually tune your system (we're talking HOURS and Hours which lead to weeks and months) to get it just right). The MS8 get close to that point in much less time but can tke the fun out of tuning. Lots more to both than that so read. Many other processors too including ones from Alpine, just as good but not as well marketed.. again more to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwentie View Post
so they're good then?

or maybe not...?

sorry if i'm misunderstanding you, but i think i'm hearing a mixed opinion. Or are you saying that they're good for the 'under-seat-bass' just not enough of a thump like a traditional bass box? (which kinda makes sense for all the reasons you stated, shallow, positioning etc)

furthermore, i've just been reading the Alpine upgrade thread (or the last 4 or 5 pages) and I seem to get the opinion that the Alpine upgrade is maybe the way to go as opposed to spending a good wack on the SWS-8's? (and yes I gather that the latter would be a pure sub upgrade and the former a whole system), but i'm at a loss as to which way to go? any thoughts?
Sorry, basically for what they are, they're great! Buf if you expect a real kick, don't. They will not deliver that unless you have it tuned well, but even then, they will NEVER reproduce a good thump like a boot sub, period!

Re: ALPINE upgrade or otherwise, totally your call. I've heard both and had SWS in my own car.. Both are good. All boils down to budget and your taste in music. Alpine is good for those who need a bit of a kick or plan to put a boot sub so its not such a compromise if you know what I mean. It's a great way to save some money, still have an upgrade and get a great sounding system.

SWS-8s + Amp + sound processor (+boot sub/amp if required) etc etc... is a completely diff field and can sound the nuts when done right.

Both are good options to weigh up but I'd say if you're looking for bass but don't want a boot sub, get SWS-8s and decent mids / tweets. If you're wanting a slight upgrade from OE then go Alpine but bass will not be as expected.. (at which point you can spend freely on a boot sub / amp and go crazy!)

HTH!

Last edited by AWBimmer; 10-18-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #47
mistryn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW 335D

onetwentie - looking from your other thread I think you have read pretty much the same links I was going to post up. All I can say is have a think about what you want and your budget and then cater yourself. One thing i have learnt from my previous installs is that if you cant afford to buy X product dont settle for a cheaper one or dont try to buy everything in one go and sacrifice something. As later down the line you will regret and end up spending more.

Back on the topic, thanks Siren for the link that is a very very good price, any update on whether there could be a discount?
Appreciate 0