E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 G4 Board vs. G5 Board



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #45
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
 
spool twice's Avatar
 
Drives: S65B40
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL

Posts: 1,234
iTrader: (7)

one of the best reasons of the ISO board is a custom map 6. You can dial in a base map and use the "methanol additive" (steering wheel mode #9) even if you don't have a methanol system hooked up.

for example, I currently dial in:

2500 @ 9.9 psi
3000 @ 9.9 psi
3500 @ 9.9 psi
4000 @ 9.9 psi
4500 @ 10.0 psi
5000 @ 10.0 psi
5500 @ 9.5 psi
6000 @ 8.7 psi
6500 @ 8.1 psi
7000 @ 7.6 psi

a "70" additive on the steering wheel control will give me a base boost + 7 extra PSI across the board so it gives me the ability to drop or raise my boost curve from a range of base + 0 psi to base + 8 psi on the fly if I so choose to do so (like filling up with 93 octane after having just ran an aggressive E50 mix)

***I do not recommend anyone doing this unless you know what you're doing. I've done multiple logs to dial in my car's own boost curve to ensure it's running healthy.***
__________________
E90 LCI M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue/Novillo Silver
[MS Pullies|K&N drop-in|Test Pipes |Evolve Stage II tune|Evolve Servotronic Map|Evolve M3 GTS-DCT file]

Last edited by spool twice; 12-07-2012 at 07:59 AM.
spool twice is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #46
alexx03
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vaughan

Posts: 420
iTrader: (2)

when did the G5 board actually go on sale?
i purchased my jb4 this summer in september so im just wondering what board i have.
alexx03 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #47
GTstunna612
Lieutenant
 
GTstunna612's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 404
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
E90 335i  [0.00]
not sure what board you have maybe if you hook it up to your laptop you can see what version and board it is. I want to get the G5 since I just took my tune off, but then again terry said with my setup DCI and Tune the G4 board will be fine for me....think its $150 to upgrade to G5 maybe in the future.
__________________
E90 335i Alpine White, Cyba Scoops, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, Alpina AT Flash, New OEM Turbos
E90 328i Titanium Silver
GTstunna612 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #48
PR3CI5N
need4speed
 
PR3CI5N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Coast

Posts: 1,160
iTrader: (15)

The G5 board is well worth it. It's much smoother than the G4 board ever was and G5 ISO is the future so you may as well upgrade now One of my favorite new additions is being able to adjust the LagFix through the steering wheel controls (this enables you to make your throttle as peppy as you want and/or elminate wastegate rattle).
Here's what the inside of the G4 and G5 boards look like if you think they look the same (this is before I snipped the DIODES off):
Attached Images
 
__________________
N54
PR3CI5N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #49
Ntn125
Private
 
Ntn125's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i E90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philly Area

Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
The G5 board is well worth it. It's much smoother than the G4 board ever was and G5 ISO is the future so you may as well upgrade now One of my favorite new additions is being able to adjust the LagFix through the steering wheel controls (this enables you to make your throttle as peppy as you want and/or elminate wastegate rattle).
Here's what the inside of the G4 and G5 boards look like if you think they look the same (this is before I snipped the DIODES off):
Did you try running the G5 without ISO first? Debating if I should give it a try without ISO first and then with ISO update, or skip right to ISO. Besides cutting the diodes and firmware updates, was there anything else you had to do? I plan to install it next weekend.
Ntn125 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #50
PR3CI5N
need4speed
 
PR3CI5N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Coast

Posts: 1,160
iTrader: (15)

I wouldn't bother running G5 w/o ISO. Just cut the 2 DIODES and then update to the newest firmware. Be sure to have the most recent interface and since you have a new control box you'll have re-do all of your sheering wheel settings. I'd suggest map 5.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntn125 View Post
Did you try running the G5 without ISO first? Debating if I should give it a try without ISO first and then with ISO update, or skip right to ISO. Besides cutting the diodes and firmware updates, was there anything else you had to do? I plan to install it next weekend.
__________________
N54
PR3CI5N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #51
Ntn125
Private
 
Ntn125's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i E90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philly Area

Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
I wouldn't bother running G5 w/o ISO. Just cut the 2 DIODES and then update to the newest firmware. Be sure to have the most recent interface and since you have a new control box you'll have re-do all of your sheering wheel settings. I'd suggest map 5.
That's good to know, thanks!
Ntn125 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #52
kboss335
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 08 335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

What do the CPS wires do?
kboss335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #53
Karman
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i e92 07 space gray
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CT

Posts: 122
iTrader: (1)

No disrespect but this thread is full of anecdotal evidence of why the g5 board is so much better than the g4. But I was looking @ http://www.burgertuning.com/JB3_upgrades.html
And that 150 dollar thing I already have. But I as informed I bought the g4 board.. If anyone knows how to confirm please let me know. Thanks!
Karman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #54
PR3CI5N
need4speed
 
PR3CI5N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Coast

Posts: 1,160
iTrader: (15)

I already posted a picture of the inside of the G4 and G5 board so open yours and compare. G4 board is on the left, G5 on the right. You can also connect your control box to your laptop to find out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Karman View Post
No disrespect but this thread is full of anecdotal evidence of why the g5 board is so much better than the g4. But I was looking @ http://www.burgertuning.com/JB3_upgrades.html
And that 150 dollar thing I already have. But I as informed I bought the g4 board.. If anyone knows how to confirm please let me know. Thanks!
__________________
N54
PR3CI5N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #55
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 16,474
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
I'd recommend the G5.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #56
Karman
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i e92 07 space gray
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CT

Posts: 122
iTrader: (1)

If I buy the g5 board do I have to rewire anything? Or can I just replace g5 with g4? Thanks
Karman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #57
GTstunna612
Lieutenant
 
GTstunna612's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 404
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karman View Post
If I buy the g5 board do I have to rewire anything? Or can I just replace g5 with g4? Thanks

I think you just replace it
__________________
E90 335i Alpine White, Cyba Scoops, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, Alpina AT Flash, New OEM Turbos
E90 328i Titanium Silver
GTstunna612 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #58
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 14,360
iTrader: (86)

I don't even sell non ISO G5 boards anymore so its best to go straight to G5 ISO if going the G5 route.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #59
Wes335XI
Second Lieutenant
 
Wes335XI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI Space Grey
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK

Posts: 264
iTrader: (0)

Ordering the board tonight to upgrade. Will come in handy with the Vargas stage 2 kit, was the first thing my installer/tuner recommended once we dial her in this Spring. If for some reason I do not get it, it will come in handy with the meth kit and other mods regardless. Can't wait to try it out!

Going to give N54Tuning a shot.
__________________
08 E92 335XI AT|RB Upgraded Twins|TCKR SA Coilovers|AR DPs|AE Dual Exhaust|aFe DC Intake|ETS 5 FMIC|JB4 G5|BMS Meth Kit|ER CP Tial Q BOV|BMS OCC|Staggered Midnight Blue VMR V718|Burning Blue Muteki lugs|DBA4000 Slotted Front/Rear|AXXIS ULT Front/Rear|Stoptech Steel lines Front/Rear|ATESuperBlue|JG Mods MSport|LightWerkz Custom headlights w/ UmnitzaV4|
Wes335XI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #60
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

Posts: 2,149
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karman View Post
If I buy the g5 board do I have to rewire anything? Or can I just replace g5 with g4? Thanks
Its a straight replacement. Just unscrew the connector from the G4 plug in the G5 & tighten the screws.
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 - 2003 Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #61
JuicedboXed42
Private First Class
 
JuicedboXed42's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 wrx/08 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 117
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI View Post
Ordering the board tonight to upgrade. Will come in handy with the Vargas stage 2 kit, was the first thing my installer/tuner recommended once we dial her in this Spring. If for some reason I do not get it, it will come in handy with the meth kit and other mods regardless. Can't wait to try it out!

Going to give N54Tuning a shot.
how is the vargas stg 2 upgrade? waiting to hear about the stg 3 upgrade results myself.
JuicedboXed42 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #62
Wes335XI
Second Lieutenant
 
Wes335XI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI Space Grey
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK

Posts: 264
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicedboXed42 View Post
how is the vargas stg 2 upgrade? waiting to hear about the stg 3 upgrade results myself.
Just getting what I need before the upgrade right now. I will order the kit towards mid April, at the end of my deployment. Already have it set up with a shop back home and working out additional details. I'm really excited for it and hopefully by that time we have results.

Stage 3 is nice, but unless I lived in the lower 48, I would not do it up here. It's a bit much and if I hit 500WHP, I'll be more than happy with that.

Ordered the board from N54Tuning, highly recommended, Mike is an awesome guy and great to deal with.
__________________
08 E92 335XI AT|RB Upgraded Twins|TCKR SA Coilovers|AR DPs|AE Dual Exhaust|aFe DC Intake|ETS 5 FMIC|JB4 G5|BMS Meth Kit|ER CP Tial Q BOV|BMS OCC|Staggered Midnight Blue VMR V718|Burning Blue Muteki lugs|DBA4000 Slotted Front/Rear|AXXIS ULT Front/Rear|Stoptech Steel lines Front/Rear|ATESuperBlue|JG Mods MSport|LightWerkz Custom headlights w/ UmnitzaV4|
Wes335XI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST