E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to enjoy an automatic E90 328i sedan?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
BMWs4ever
First Lieutenant
Canada
5
Rep
321
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd243372 View Post
Put it in DS mode and floor it...
You forgot to mention take off the DTC as well and then it really goes
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
Doctor///M
Colonel
Doctor///M's Avatar
52
Rep
2,239
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3, R56 MCS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HTX

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [4.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2010 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
...take it to the track. You'll learn the true potential of your car and have a lot more fun doing it. Like someone previously mentioned, the rest of the world lives with their 4-bangers. A 328 is still premium in my books.
__________________
2015 BMW M3 (ED 03 Nov 14) /l\ Austin Yellow /i\ 6MT /l\ Exec Pkg /i\ HK Audio /l\ 437M
CCA Member
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
1lyfe
Major
1lyfe's Avatar
Canada
23
Rep
1,101
Posts

 
Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

I just think about 335s and how they have so many problems like hpfp and such
then it just makes me happy that I bought a 328 instead of a 335
not that I hate the 335 or anything but like you I am also a full time student so money is an issue.
I pretty much bought my cat without any prior research and just looked at a BMW that fit my budget and then started doing research afterwards and I was really happy I got a 328
.
and you should take it to a track and have some fun!
honesty though putting money in your car is not the best idea. personally I would save up money for a house instead
a cars value always depreciated where real estate always goes up. just my two cents
__________________
Current Mods: JB4 , H&R Rear Sway bar, Ultra Racing Strut Bar , 19" M5 Reps Staggered , NBT retrofit , JBL MS8 Amp and 10" Sub
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #26
ndog14
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
1,746
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Is it RWD? Find an empty parking lot, drive in circles sideways with the focal of the turn at your front wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #27
Doc K
Fleet Admiral ★★★★★
Doc K's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
498
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i SG
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Woodinville

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc K
Have you driven your 328i up to 145mph yet? Do that on a long stretch of road, and let me know how you feel about your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #28
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
mlifxs's Avatar
24
Rep
1,791
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
can you afford to upgrade or not?
If not, there are small performance mods that can keep things interesting.
Better tires. M3 suspension parts. A tune.
If you upgrade to a newer more powerful car, the taxes and increased auto insurance alone might be greater than the cost of some minor mods.

I can't afford to upgrade to a new car so I'm enjoying the car I have, as long as I can. The auto 328i may lag some newer cars in performance, but as a total package, it's a great car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #29
WTLetu
Enlisted Member
United_States
2
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan, Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westminster, CA

iTrader: (0)

I know about DS mode and how to use the steptronic. I turn DTC off and sometimes hold down that button until the circular arrow appears on the computer. I don't know if it's just me or if my car just becomes really loose and scary to drive x) so I just turn DTC back on lol. Is it safe to drive with that circular arrow on?

Btw does anyone have a paint job preference? My paint seems to be wearing down and getting scratched here and there. Also, this happened to my bumper. Suggestions for a replacement bumper kit?

Thanks a lot for the answers so far guys! I'm slowly feeling closer to my 328i again. I really like reading what your guys' opinions are all about
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #30
Stanleywan1211
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i M sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunners_Mate View Post
Muffler Delete.
Headers.
Remap Engine.
Throttle Delay Delete Chip.
3 Stage Intake Manifold
Air Intake.

These cars can be made to go faster, you just have to know what to do. Trust me. Ever since I started modding my E90 325i, it's been a blast.
that sounds good ! how much u spent so far with those mods? first thing i would get is the delay chips
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #31
MattMD
E9X > F3X
MattMD's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
729
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTLetu View Post
I know about DS mode and how to use the steptronic. I turn DTC off and sometimes hold down that button until the circular arrow appears on the computer. I don't know if it's just me or if my car just becomes really loose and scary to drive x) so I just turn DTC back on lol. Is it safe to drive with that circular arrow on?

Btw does anyone have a paint job preference? My paint seems to be wearing down and getting scratched here and there. Also, this happened to my bumper. Suggestions for a replacement bumper kit?

Thanks a lot for the answers so far guys! I'm slowly feeling closer to my 328i again. I really like reading what your guys' opinions are all about
Use it at your own discretion. It disables everything that keeps you from crashing to give a raw driving experience. Personally, I only use it when I want max acceleration. I don't trust the 16" 205 runflats to give me enough grip through the corners. I'll try again when I upgrade the tires & wheels.

I like M3 replica bumpers. There are other options out there.
__________________
2009 E90 328i - Space Grey Metallic on Black // iDrive // Premium Package // Xenons

Mods - Stock for now

Dream Car - Mineral White E92 M3 DCT, Ferrari 458 (someday )
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #32
WTLetu
Enlisted Member
United_States
2
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan, Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westminster, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Low Key OG View Post
Use it at your own discretion. It disables everything that keeps you from crashing to give a raw driving experience. Personally, I only use it when I want max acceleration. I don't trust the 16" 205 runflats to give me enough grip through the corners. I'll try again when I upgrade the tires & wheels.

I like M3 replica bumpers. There are other options out there.
Thanks for the safety tip!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #33
cuiter23
Major
cuiter23's Avatar
20
Rep
1,076
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i ZSP
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundle View Post
If your car is feeling weak, come to Europe and drive a few 316i and 318i sedans...

If I were you, I'd ditch the 3-series, buy a new Civic SI sedan (manual!), and take some classes.
lol, I would never trade a 328 for an Si...

OP question, just save up, it's all about the money.
__________________
2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l M-Sport Rear Bumper l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
StabPreflop
Private First Class
1
Rep
100
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

You're having trouble enjoying your 328i?? I have a 328xi and still manage to enjoy it thoroughly. I'm not sure I'd enjoy a 335, on a day to day basis, as much to be honest. 99.9% of the time, I'm driving it in the street. I love being able to rev it up on onramps, open roads, etc. A 335 will go over 100mph in 3rd gear so you will either be trying to avoid applying power most of the time, or end up in jail. Even at the track I would miss the RWD and sports suspension way before the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #35
spanner1751
Lieutenant
spanner1751's Avatar
4
Rep
461
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i M sport sedan
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTLetu View Post
Btw does anyone have a paint job preference? My paint seems to be wearing down and getting scratched here and there. Also, this happened to my bumper. Suggestions for a replacement bumper kit?
You have a few minor scratches under your front bumper that aren't even visible from above. Just be more careful about getting close to the concrete parking barriers. Don't worry about it.
As far as the performance of the 328i, I checked performance figures for some famous 1960's performance cars like the Boss 302 and Z28 Camaro, and their 0-60 times were about 7 seconds, the same as a 328i with auto.
If you want a little more performance, just use the paddle shifters and start out in M1.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #36
v6turbo
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
194
Posts

 
Drives: '87 Buick GN, '06 330i jet blk
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (1)

I would think driving a BMW would put you in a small minority. Think about how many ppl would love to own a nice BMW of any kind. I would be interested to know what percentage of drivers in the US own BMW's, I would guess its very small, maybe as low as 2-3% if that.

Last edited by v6turbo; 10-06-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #37
AdrianRex
Private
0
Rep
57
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i X-drive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

I don't know man; for me it was finances that got me into a 328 instead of a 335. I love my car, I thoroughly enjoy it, but the elephant in the room is the 335 for me. I don't care that there's always something better and faster out there, I just really wish I could have gotten a 335. I made the mistake of driving one today and it truly was a night and day experience versus my 328. All I can say is, enjoy what you have for now and eventually, if all goes well, you can get the car you really wanted when all your pins are in a row, so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #38
middleagedhippie
Private
0
Rep
98
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: central florida

iTrader: (0)

LOL. What a pathetic, spoiled society. When a college kid is whining because his car is only a 328i, you have to know there is something wrong somewhere. If this attitude is what generation X is all about, then it truly is curtains for our once great and noble Nation. I am well into middle age and could easily afford any car I chose, but I drive a 328i, and everyday can't believe how well the car drives and how comfortable it is. On a cool day, I open the windows and the moon roof and enjoy the breeze and the purr of the engine. I get being a young hot-shot means driving a "fast" and "powerful" car. Hey, I was macho once also. But if you want to really enjoy driving and the thrill of speed and power . . get yourself a motorbike.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #39
WTLetu
Enlisted Member
United_States
2
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan, Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westminster, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleagedhippie View Post
LOL. What a pathetic, spoiled society. When a college kid is whining because his car is only a 328i, you have to know there is something wrong somewhere. If this attitude is what generation X is all about, then it truly is curtains for our once great and noble Nation. I am well into middle age and could easily afford any car I chose, but I drive a 328i, and everyday can't believe how well the car drives and how comfortable it is. On a cool day, I open the windows and the moon roof and enjoy the breeze and the purr of the engine. I get being a young hot-shot means driving a "fast" and "powerful" car. Hey, I was macho once also. But if you want to really enjoy driving and the thrill of speed and power . . get yourself a motorbike.
Nobody said I was whining lol. However, I understand your POV. Please refrain from making negative general statements in the future though. Our generation and future generations still have a long way to go. The cycle of young people repeats itself my friend

And I still love my 328i, man! Like EDM92 said above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM92 View Post
There's always going to be a car out there that trumps the car in your driveway. Enjoy it for what it is! Many people would LOVE to trade cars with you. I understand what you're saying though. It's easy to take what we have for granted.
It is easy to take what we have for granted sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #40
WTLetu
Enlisted Member
United_States
2
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan, Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westminster, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianRex View Post
I don't know man; for me it was finances that got me into a 328 instead of a 335. I love my car, I thoroughly enjoy it, but the elephant in the room is the 335 for me. I don't care that there's always something better and faster out there, I just really wish I could have gotten a 335. I made the mistake of driving one today and it truly was a night and day experience versus my 328. All I can say is, enjoy what you have for now and eventually, if all goes well, you can get the car you really wanted when all your pins are in a row, so to speak.
I have never driven a 335i, and now I don't want to. It'd be like a shark that's had a taste of blood and wants more lol. Thanks for your opinion
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #41
WTLetu
Enlisted Member
United_States
2
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan, Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westminster, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Im really surprised that's the attitude alot have on this forum, Like they have
no faith in the car lasting past the warranty.

I use to have a G35 if you navigate to the forums there, Nobody talks about warranty. If you maintain it yourself ( the minor basics )
its not that expensive at all. There are tons of vendors on here and lots of great info.

If you like your car keep it, do some minor mods.. Even if 328 and Auto its still a great handling quality car.

If you want to mod for looks its the same across the board, If speed is your only concern there are some nice bolt on mods just dont expect the power levels the turbo guys see.

A 328 can be a very enjoyable car and its the last we will probably see of BMW's legendary NA I6.
How was owning a G35 btw?

Anyway, I was at the OC Auto Show today and I was thinking about what you said about it being one of the last few BMWs with NA engine, and seeing all the new turbo engines on the new BMWs made me more appreciative of my NA 328i. So thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #42
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
jvsxn's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,720
Posts

 
Drives: e-ninety
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to jvsxn
If lag is what's bothering you then get the BMS Powerbox -- number-wise it's pretty minuscule but the feel and response kinda makes you forget you're driving a 328. I'm in the same boat as you but if it makes you feel better, I drive an AT 325 and I'm having a blast. You can always invest in exterior parts and "upgrade" to another E90 and swap the parts that you want to keep. If you spend too much time doubting your car, you waste that much time not enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTLetu View Post
Lately with the arrival of all these new sporty cars, I've been feeling a little down with my E90 328i. I guess you could say that I'm not as excited about it as I used to be.

It used to be unimportant to me whether my car was an automatic transmission or manual, but now I feel a craving for a manual transmission. Not only that, you guys know that the this 328i won't gain as much performance with aftermarket parts unless I spend some serious cash, which I don't have because I am a full-time student. So far I've only spent money on an axle-back exhaust and window tints.

I kind of want to spend a little money on the exterior cosmetic look, but then again what's the point if it's an automatic with a noticeable lag in acceleration, mismatching with the looks?

I guess I want to ask you other automatic 328i owners on how you enjoy your car on a daily basis. Is it worth sprucing up the looks even though it's an automatic? How do you mod your 328i and is it worth it? Or do you guys think my priorities are out of line, and that I should wait for the future to buy a car more to my liking?
__________________
Hiatus
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #43
QUiKSR20
E90 Apprentice
QUiKSR20's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
774
Posts

 
Drives: 08' E90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tinton Falls, NJ

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to QUiKSR20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTLetu View Post
How was owning a G35 btw?

Anyway, I was at the OC Auto Show today and I was thinking about what you said about it being one of the last few BMWs with NA engine, and seeing all the new turbo engines on the new BMWs made me more appreciative of my NA 328i. So thanks!
The G35 was a great car.... The nickname it carries is " The Japanese 3 Series" and it is. It was a great car, Tight chassis, great suspension, 50/50 weight , RWD.

Mine was a 06 298HP 6MT Sedan, All 6MT's have a LSD Rear and rev 7k it was a quick car ran 13.81@101 bone stock.

Owned for 30k miles and never went to the dealer for anything, Nobody cares about warranties on these cars they dont break. I only sold for an E90 because I sold my E30 and the G35 didnt have the soul my E30 had and this E90 reminds me of modern day E30.

I love my E90 and loved my E30 and G35 as well. They are great cars and id say there 9/10 of a BMW but theres just something about the soul of a german car that gets me
__________________
-DG:.
08 E90 328i Sport 6MT Audio Build
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #44
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
jvsxn's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,720
Posts

 
Drives: e-ninety
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to jvsxn
How were you able to deal with the interior? I didn't own my G for too long but I sold my 2004 coupe because I didn't like the interior set up. Never got to experience the performance side of it but I would like to in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
The G35 was a great car.... The nickname it carries is " The Japanese 3 Series" and it is. It was a great car, Tight chassis, great suspension, 50/50 weight , RWD.

Mine was a 06 298HP 6MT Sedan, All 6MT's have a LSD Rear and rev 7k it was a quick car ran 13.81@101 bone stock.

Owned for 30k miles and never went to the dealer for anything, Nobody cares about warranties on these cars they dont break. I only sold for an E90 because I sold my E30 and the G35 didnt have the soul my E30 had and this E90 reminds me of modern day E30.

I love my E90 and loved my E30 and G35 as well. They are great cars and id say there 9/10 of a BMW but theres just something about the soul of a german car that gets me
__________________
Hiatus
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST