E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > "Operation: Make or Brake" is go!

10-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
thejimreaper
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 330d m sport

Interesting?
      10-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #24
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW E92 M-Sport LCI

Good idea, imo the orange will look horrific, I was going to suggest blue till I saw your mock image which I like a lot. Orange tends to look garish or muddy depending on the shade, with blue you've got loads of tones to pick from between bright and subtle, most of which will look good.
Alex.Devol is offline   United Kingdom
      11-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #25
Dr. G
Brigadier General

Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [4.35]
WOW, I did this quite some time back for fun one day before removing my brakes haha, I'm surprised nobody else has done it, but it's cool to see that somebody else on the other side of the ocean took it upon themselves!!

I made 3 diff versions, here''s the one I liked best:
Attached Images

JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
      11-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #26
andy9188
Lieutenant

Drives: van

Any update on this nigelo???
      11-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #27
Nigelo
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335i se

Hey, that's cool - good to see I'm not the only person who thought it'd be a snazzy project!

Still waiting on the engineering place to cut me my plates, I foolishly said I wasn't in a big rush thinking it'd be a week or 2, rather than a month or two! Lol
      11-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #28
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i DCT E93

Also waiting for the outcome of this little project !!
omaragha is offline   United Kingdom
      02-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #29
Nigelo
Lieutenant

Engineering company finally sorted me out - just going to paint them with a few colours I have sitting around, fit them and I'll take a few pics.

I've got red and orange, with a light estoril blueish colour on order to try.

Hopefully will be doing my M3 rear swap soon too!
      02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
gaza01
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

Nigelo do whatever colour you like. Thing I don't get on sites is people mod their cars based upon forum approval - the car sin't really personal to you then if you always have to get everyone's approval.
You've come up with a brilliant and cleaver idea that if it works I'm certain a huge portion of the forum (incl me) will be interested in.

I think the caliper colour is dependent on so many things. Eg (and only in my opinion) 313 alloys on a white e9x with orange alloys may not look good as the calipers are really exposed and the orange will clash with the white. BBS alloys on a black or blue car with orange calipers may just work as calipers are not as exposed and the orange won't clash.

Anyway hurry up...I'm eager to follow. I've got yellow in my head for caliper colours
gaza01 is offline   United Kingdom
      02-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #31
Greg330
Captain

Personally I'm going gold!

I also agree with Gaza, I've done a few searches and everyone says play it safe. Hopefully what I do will look cool and different. If it doesn't I'll just paint them something more conservative!

Interested to see how yours come out with the addition.....
      02-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #32
Nigelo
Lieutenant

Another quick update!

Need to get some more decals cut as the ones I have have a white ///M logo and I think black would be better for the brighter colours.... like this!

Trying the orange first, as its the one Id like to work most. The front designs are pretty decent, but I reckon a few revision of the rear set will be needed.

Cheers for all the encouragement!
Attached Images

02-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #33
gaza01
Lieutenant Colonel

Looks good. you could be on to something here!
Can I say tho (just constructive comments) if you can get the edges of the plate with a more rounded effect and the indentation for the logo it would look even better
But as it is its already 10x better then OEM
gaza01 is offline   United Kingdom
      02-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #34
wafik
Captain

Drives: M3 Convertible

As gaza01 said, you could be on to something here!

Might come out really good once fitted. Have you painted the rest of the caliper in orange? Or is first just testing and then will colour everything once all ok?

Now hurry up and get them fitted!!
      02-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #35
Nigelo
Lieutenant

It was a wild rush today to get the brake pad retaining springs swapped over and the remaining exposed area of caliper painted. Blame impending snow and a bored wife.

Got a reasonable job done, the calipers would need another coat or two.

A few things:

Safety was primarily on my mind while attaching extra weight to the springs, but they are not going to be falling off - the springs clip on quite securely.

Next up was the shape and size. I just went with flat shapes, but I reckon a bit more '3D' would've been a bit better. Didn't want to try and imitate a BBK or add too much weight to begin with, but I reckon adding a third dimension would be easy enough.

I had some decals to add, but they have some lettering in white which I don't think will look right so getting them remade with black instead.

02-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #36
Nigelo
Lieutenant

double post
      02-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #37
wafik
Captain

Drives: M3 Convertible

mmm something looks a little odd? I think the front ones are too wide...the curve looks too round? Maybe if they are trimmed a little and then possibly a bit more '3D'.

Here is a quick one I edited. Not perfect, but to give you an idea...

(maybe I 'slimmed' it down a little to much)
Attached Images