E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alloygator rim protectors



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Alloygator rim protectors

Just stumbled across these: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso.../alloygator-v2
Has anyone tried them and, if so, what do you think?
I've sent the company an enquiry to see if they're compatible with RFTs (http://www.alloygator.com/).
At 60 for 5 plastic rings, it's not exactly cheap, but well worth it if they work

Last edited by Jon D; 10-26-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
6,105
Posts

 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Just stumbled across these: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso.../alloygator-v2
Has anyone tried them and, if so, what do you think?
I've sent the company an enquiry to see if they're compatible with RFTs (http://www.alloygator.com/).
At 60 for 5 plastic rings, it's not exactly cheap, but well worth it if they work
Old thread here Jon:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...rim+protectors
__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
shortie
Lieutenant
shortie's Avatar
United Kingdom
21
Rep
562
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320i M sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Midlands UK

iTrader: (0)

Read a few threads now about them working their way loose and coming off whilst driving causing body work damage.

No personal experience of them myself though
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Old thread here Jon:
Thanks; I ought to have known better and searched before posting .
Self bollocking administered accordingly .
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
Read a few threads now about them working their way loose and coming off whilst driving causing body work damage...
Hmmmm, think I'd rather have a curbed rim!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
BanziBarn's Avatar
34
Rep
1,789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

I think they could look a bit crap. Personally, I'd rather just not drive into a curb
__________________
Black 330d E90 LCI M Sport Saloon Auto. Privacy Glass, Cream Leather, 6FL, I-Drive/Nav/Bluetooth, Alpine hifi upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
shrink
Captain
shrink's Avatar
United Kingdom
8
Rep
752
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i SE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edinburgh (UK)

iTrader: (2)

This is one benefit to the oem Bridgestone rfts. They have rock hard side walls and very generous rim protectors. I've made the odd schoolboy mistake in my car, and the rim protection on the bridgestones has been invaluable. I'll miss that when I take them off
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
I think they could look a bit crap. Personally, I'd rather just not drive into a curb
I'd rather not drive into curbs too, but I'm just not that good
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
StarSailor
Enlisted Member
StarSailor's Avatar
0
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Nearly 100 fitted - that's 2ish wheel refurbs?

I'd save the money - they would also ruin the look of my wheels...and the gators will also look even more of a t**t if they get scuffed?

And, if you were to really hit a kerb, I can't see the plastic ring doing an awful lot...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
This is one benefit to the oem Bridgestone rfts. They have rock hard side walls and very generous rim protectors. I've made the odd schoolboy mistake in my car, and the rim protection on the bridgestones has been invaluable. I'll miss that when I take them off
I know what you mean, but my 640i has 20" 'style 356' diamond turned rims, with the face almost flush with the tyre and, apart from taking inordinate care, there's very little to protect them.
I fear that it's just a matter of time until I suffer a lapse of concentration...
Fortunately I have rim damage insurance, but I think these particular wheels have to be sent away for repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #11
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSailor View Post
Nearly 100 fitted - that's 2ish wheel refurbs?

I'd save the money - they would also ruin the look of my wheels...and the gators will also look even more of a t**t if they get scuffed?

And, if you were to really hit a kerb, I can't see the plastic ring doing an awful lot...
I agree that they look a bit naff and the reports of them coming off at speed has decided me against them.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
katie.g
woman with spanners
United Kingdom
3
Rep
107
Posts

 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: cheshire

iTrader: (0)

i used these with my mv3's on my old e91

easy to fit, i did it all in a few mins, they looked ok in silver

they do protect the wheel , but once you kerb the alloygater it needs replacement, they dont re-trim as easily as the video clip shows

now using bridgestone rft's which have a big rim protection strip built in to the tyre but its still not enough on the fronts, only saves the slightest of scrapes

i now also have a wheel respray booth in the loft, and it gets used too often !!!

Worth wheel silver and clear laquer matches original colour spot on, its actually easier to rub down the rim and respray than you'd ever think after a bit of practise, i made some cardboard "polo mints" to mask off the tyre quickly

regards katie
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie.g View Post
i used these with my mv3's on my old e91

easy to fit, i did it all in a few mins, they looked ok in silver

they do protect the wheel , but once you kerb the alloygater it needs replacement, they dont re-trim as easily as the video clip shows

now using bridgestone rft's which have a big rim protection strip built in to the tyre but its still not enough on the fronts, only saves the slightest of scrapes

i now also have a wheel respray booth in the loft, and it gets used too often !!!

Worth wheel silver and clear laquer matches original colour spot on, its actually easier to rub down the rim and respray than you'd ever think after a bit of practise, i made some cardboard "polo mints" to mask off the tyre quickly

regards katie
Thanks for the positive info. As to your rim repair tips, that's what I did with the painted 19" wheels that were on my old E92. However, the 20" rims I now have are diamond turned and flat faced with just a clear lacquer coat on the bare aluminium alloy - no longer any chance of covering up my mistakes with a quick lick of paint .
Cheers,
Jon
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
creepy coupe
Major General
creepy coupe's Avatar
98
Rep
8,173
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
They're a bit like leaving the protective plastic on a sofa. then removing it when you sell it.You have the imperfect look, and the new owner benefits.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
willhollin
Major General
willhollin's Avatar
England
123
Rep
9,918
Posts

 
Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I saw a car recently with some on, looked pretty awful tbh.

I don't think they would suit a 640i, I mean you don't have those door protectors on do you?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
...I mean you don't have those door protectors on do you?
How do you know?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
CarAbuser
Captain
CarAbuser's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
794
Posts

 
Drives: E89 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Worcestershire

iTrader: (0)

Complete the look with a bonnet bra and wind deflectors. Maybe some mudflaps to stop the car getting dirty.

I'd love to see some pics.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Sparky68's Avatar
United Kingdom
48
Rep
3,184
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
As said above would rather risk a kerbed rim than have mine look that awful the whole time
__________________

LM Reps - Borla Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe and Blow Off - JB4 G5 ISO - Burger Tuning Intake - Koni Street Shocks - Apex Springs - Whiteline Bushes - M3 rear Arms
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Complete the look with a bonnet bra and wind deflectors. Maybe some mudflaps to stop the car getting dirty.

I'd love to see some pics.
Along with the rim protectors, I was looking for some plastic chrome edging strip, which I could cut to length and fit onto the door, boot and bonnet edges. Sadly I couldn't find what I was looking for, but the solution came, quite unexpectedly, in the form of some discarded polystyrene packaging strips from a fridge. I've glued them on with some wallpaper paste and it doesn't look too bad; only problem is that I can't fully shut the doors, but I'm getting used to the draught.
Odd how a simple enquiry can attract so many assumptions
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST