E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Boost lag/surge issues after inlet + intake install

08-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
M3Lev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 Jerez Black M3

N55 Boost lag/surge issues after inlet + intake install

Footnote - I have searched.
Vehicle - 2011 335i x-drive M sport with performance package
Mods - ETS charge pipe, BMS intake
Map - stock map, since cobb does not support 98G1B ROM yet

Has anyone on the forums installed just an intake and inlet and experienced boost issues on their N55? I installed the ETS charge pipe and had no issues and no codes. A week after I also installed the intake (in preparation for cobb OTS map which should be supported end of this week per cobb). After the intake install I am experiencing the below symptoms:

While driving at any speed at ~25% throttle if you put the accelerator to the floor and max throttle 100% there is a 3-4 second window of time where nothing happens - RPM's will not increase or decrease just stays constant and it feels as if the throttle is not even opening. After this time the boost will slowly come on. It does not occur like this every time you go WOT I would say 50/50.

The MAF is facing the right way. All clamps are tight. All couplers are whole and do not have any leaks. I reset the ECU with the accessport and also unplugged the battery for 15 minutes. The issues continue.

Cobb accessport did reveal the following codes after install:
-P2E4C
-P377A
-P387F
-P3792
-P20D0

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
rich_mane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe

Looks like the 377A and 3792 could be codes for the water pump being blocked/speed implausible. If you meant to write 378F instead of 387F then that points to the water pump being bad as well. Must have just been a coincidence, you sure don't touch anything near the water pump to install a charge pipe and intake.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 01:30 AM   #3
houtan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Remove the intake. You don't need it for a tune. Plenty of people even run stock intake with an upgraded turbo. My car ran like shit with the BMS intake. Put stock one back on and ran perfect. I also tried the injen intake which didn't cause any issues. But I prefer the stock intake with a drop in filter.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:19 AM   #4
EB89
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Remove the intake. You don't need it for a tune. Plenty of people even run stock intake with an upgraded turbo. My car ran like shit with the BMS intake. Put stock one back on and ran perfect. I also tried the injen intake which didn't cause any issues. But I prefer the stock intake with a drop in filter.
+1 to stock intake box and a drop in filter.

It looks better and cleaner, wont attract police attention if they look at your engine bay.

You loose a bit of the sound but so what.

Im running the K&N drop in filter.

Although I must add, when I had the BMS intake I didn't see a 3-4 second lag in throttle response, that sounds very wrong to me.

Especially when cruising at 25%^ throttle, if in 2nd or 3rd if I put my foot down the car reacts immediately and I need to change up very quickly.
      08-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
M3Lev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 Jerez Black M3

All - Great advice. The car overheated on the highway 4 days ago and I suspect it is the waterpump. Did not have time to put the stock intake back on before this happened but will try a drop in filter once its back on the road.

Add me to ongoing list of low mileage waterpump failures for the E9X chasis. 57k miles here.
Appreciate 0