E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Inner tie rod end..

10-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
oma3710
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Sedan

Inner tie rod end..

I was in a car accident a couple weeks ago. The inner tie rod end is bent on front driver side. Now I have to hold steering wheel to the side for car to go straight. I was wondering if once I change the tie rod end will this still happen or do I need to get an alignment????

THanks ahead of time..
      10-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
ajm8127
Private

Drives: '07 335i

On most cars, the inner tie rod end is integrated into the tie rod itself, and you cant change one without changing the other because they come as one part. The 335 is no different.

You absolutely need an alignment after changing a part like this. It is a necessity. You may also want to replace the bellow depending on if it was damaged as well.
      10-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
David1
Colonel

Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

If you bent the inner rod you need to replace the rack since it most likely damaged.
      10-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E82 1M
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

The rack itself is likely harden steel, at least up to the E46 days as we have replace and upgrade many of these with the M roadster version in the past for quicker ratio steering. Inner and outer tie rods along with control arms and uprights are more likely to be damaged first before the rack itself.

Tie rod assemblies are also far less expensive to purchase and replace. While you are at it, might as well upgrade to the HD vesion with bigger and better joints.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
      10-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
oma3710
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
The rack itself is likely harden steel, at least up to the E46 days as we have replace and upgrade many of these with the M roadster version in the past for quicker ratio steering. Inner and outer tie rods along with control arms and uprights are more likely to be damaged first before the rack itself.

Tie rod assemblies are also far less expensive to purchase and replace. While you are at it, might as well upgrade to the HD vesion with bigger and better joints.
Yeah, my mechanic took a look at it. And the rack is fine just need to change the tie rod end. I'm only changing that and getting alignment.