E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > chipped windscreen



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
 
alzieboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 318d LCI exclusive edition
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk moved from East London

Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)

chipped windscreen

Just had my windscreen chipped in two places, phoned my insurance (Admiral ) they insist i use Autowindscreens to carry out repairs or replace screen, never heard of this Co. so went on Google to find out more, anybody used them ?

thanks for any help rendered
alzieboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
LexS
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Coventry

Posts: 203
iTrader: (0)

I'm with admiral and used this company to get a chip fixed last week. No issues but cost 25 when I thought it would be free, guessing my choice to have a massive excess may be the reason.
__________________
LexS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Boyd1963
Major
 
Boyd1963's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 320d e92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bournemouth

Posts: 1,301
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
I used them on my previous car and they did an excellent job. Much better than when BMW refitted the screen.
Boyd1963 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
Glassman
Specialist
 
Glassman's Avatar
 
Drives: a van
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North London / Herts

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

After cash flow problems (February 2011) Auto Windscreens entered administration and then closed, leading to the loss of over 1,000 jobs. The rights to use Auto Windscreens as a brand name and trading style were bought by the present company Trifords Ltd (part of Marker Study Insurance Group).
Glassman is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
 
alzieboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 318d LCI exclusive edition
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk moved from East London

Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman View Post
After cash flow problems (February 2011) Auto Windscreens entered administration and then closed, leading to the loss of over 1,000 jobs. The rights to use Auto Windscreens as a brand name and trading style were bought by the present company Trifords Ltd (part of Marker Study Insurance Group).
Thanks for the reply, after spending best part of the morning backward and forward with Admiral insurance, they have agreed for me to have a genuine BMW screen fitted by National windscreens, if the screen cannot be repaired which from past experience I doubt it can.

Thanks guys
alzieboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Glassman
Specialist
 
Glassman's Avatar
 
Drives: a van
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North London / Herts

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzieboy View Post
Thanks for the reply, after spending best part of the morning backward and forward with Admiral insurance, they have agreed for me to have a genuine BMW screen fitted by National windscreens, if the screen cannot be repaired which from past experience I doubt it can.

Thanks guys
If a new (OEM) screen is what you were after, this is good news for you. Is the car less than three years-old?

Plus, I'm curious about the repair; any chance you could post an image of it? Not saying this is the case here, but there's an accepted view on repairs (or what can be repaired) which I'm curious to see if this falls into that category. There's almost a misconception on what a good repair is, or what can (or cannot) be repaired.

I have seen many cases of perfectly repairable screens which have been replaced when the damage could (and should) have been repaired.

People who have had a repair have been surprised at what a good repair really looks like in comparison.
Glassman is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
chris_s1
Major
 
Drives: 2012 E92 335d MSport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Swindon, UK

Posts: 1,087
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [4.33]
From my own experience of windscreen repairs, if the chip is anywhere near your line of sight when driving, I'd give it a bloody good tap with a centre punch and hammer before the guy arrives, just to make sure they can't attempt to repair it...

I've had 3 repairs previously and everytime I could still see it afterwards and it kept catching my eye when driving. And your insurance company won't replace a repaired screen because you don't like the repair!
__________________
2012 Alpine White E92 335d M Sport LCI | Coral Red Dakota Leather | Media Package - BMW Professional | 313 Wheels | Evolved |
Previously - 2009 Alpine White 325d M Sport LCI | Auto + Paddles | Media Package - BMW Professional | BMW Performance Front, Sideskirts and 313P Wheels | Black Grilles |
Carbon Black E46 ///M3 '04 | Manual | Evolved |
chris_s1 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
chris_s1
Major
 
Drives: 2012 E92 335d MSport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Swindon, UK

Posts: 1,087
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman View Post
If a new (OEM) screen is what you were after, this is good news for you. Is the car less than three years-old?

Plus, I'm curious about the repair; any chance you could post an image of it? Not saying this is the case here, but there's an accepted view on repairs (or what can be repaired) which I'm curious to see if this falls into that category. There's almost a misconception on what a good repair is, or what can (or cannot) be repaired.

I have seen many cases of perfectly repairable screens which have been replaced when the damage could (and should) have been repaired.

People who have had a repair have been surprised at what a good repair really looks like in comparison.
Sorry to go OT, but Glassman - do you think BMW screens are tougher than others?

The reason I ask is prior to owning BMWs I had a Citroen and then 2 VWs (all company cars). In those 6 years combined, I drove about 200k miles and I had 4 windscreen replacements and several repairs.

Since moving to BMW, I've done getting on for 100k in 3 and a bit years and never had a single chip that required repair or replacement despite a few nasty sounding impacts......

Just wondering......
__________________
2012 Alpine White E92 335d M Sport LCI | Coral Red Dakota Leather | Media Package - BMW Professional | 313 Wheels | Evolved |
Previously - 2009 Alpine White 325d M Sport LCI | Auto + Paddles | Media Package - BMW Professional | BMW Performance Front, Sideskirts and 313P Wheels | Black Grilles |
Carbon Black E46 ///M3 '04 | Manual | Evolved |
chris_s1 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
fulcrum
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 330 M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London

Posts: 437
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
Sorry to go OT, but Glassman - do you think BMW screens are tougher than others?

The reason I ask is prior to owning BMWs I had a Citroen and then 2 VWs (all company cars). In those 6 years combined, I drove about 200k miles and I had 4 windscreen replacements and several repairs.

Since moving to BMW, I've done getting on for 100k in 3 and a bit years and never had a single chip that required repair or replacement despite a few nasty sounding impacts......

Just wondering......
Mine has only seen 9k miles and is terrible.
fulcrum is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
Sir_Pigley
Captain
 
Sir_Pigley's Avatar
 
Drives: 525d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Banbury

Posts: 843
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to Sir_Pigley
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
From my own experience of windscreen repairs, if the chip is anywhere near your line of sight when driving, I'd give it a bloody good tap with a centre punch and hammer before the guy arrives, just to make sure they can't attempt to repair it...

I've had 3 repairs previously and everytime I could still see it afterwards and it kept catching my eye when driving. And your insurance company won't replace a repaired screen because you don't like the repair!
If it's anywhere near your line of sight then Auto Windscreens won't repair, they will only replace.

I have had no problems with Auto Windscreens apart from the small issue below. My wife's Touran has needed a new screen on about 3 occasions over the last 6 years.

When they repair a screen they guarantee the repair. So when the last repair they did continued to crack they then replaced the whole screen F.O.C.

Unfortunately the new screen also got a stonechip within a week. This one is on the drivers side, but so low on the screen that it is nowhere near line of sight. It's the size of a 5p piece (18mm) and bizarrely they won't attempt to repair it if it is more than 15mm and on the driver's side, although they would if it was on the passenger's side.

When asked why this was the case they said that it was because it compromised the structural strength of the car. Quite why a chip on the driver's side is more structurally compromising than the passenger side they couldn't explain!!
Sir_Pigley is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
 
alzieboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 318d LCI exclusive edition
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk moved from East London

Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)

Autowindscreens/National windscreens/ ADMIRAL insurance, I think they all fell off the awkward bastard tree.
alzieboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
RichJ
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South

Posts: 346
iTrader: (0)

my windscren seems quite soft and is peppered with very small specks
RichJ is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
 
alzieboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 318d LCI exclusive edition
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk moved from East London

Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)

how do i find the right windscreen fitted to my car, it has rain sensor wipers, Auto climatic control, Auto lights. the windscreen Company appear to be putting all on me to find out, got no faith in this bunch
alzieboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
rsmallwo
Captain
 
rsmallwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: hull

Posts: 923
iTrader: (0)

I had a chip that was just outside the mot fail portion and my markerstudy insurance policy said they only replaced widscreens in that area. Had to use Auto Windscreens and the guy said I can have it repaired but it will still be visable. He said if i wanted it replacing that it was fine and it was upto me...even though not in mot fail area. Anyway, had it swapped out and they where really good. I've had national windscreens do one for me before and it took them 5 attempts, including putting the rear view mirror on the wrong way round meaning they had to do it all again!!! Well, its been done right first time buy these guys and was worth the excess. It isnt n orginal screen but is a pilkington screen with sensors buolt into it. I'd say the rain sensor is even better on this one
rsmallwo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
Glassman
Specialist
 
Glassman's Avatar
 
Drives: a van
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North London / Herts

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
I'd say the rain sensor is even better on this one
The rain sensor is part of the car. A new windscreen will only have a mounting bracket for it.
Glassman is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
Glassman
Specialist
 
Glassman's Avatar
 
Drives: a van
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North London / Herts

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzieboy View Post
how do i find the right windscreen fitted to my car, it has rain sensor wipers, Auto climatic control, Auto lights. the windscreen Company appear to be putting all on me to find out, got no faith in this bunch
What's the problem?

The only confusion will come on changeover years where the sensor would have been modified, or a different silk print around the mirror area.

Worst case scenario is that they can narrow it down to two - an either/or - and bring both.

Besides, if you go for OEM glass, it's ordered from the VIN and you'll have an exact match to the windscreen fitted at source.
Glassman is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST