E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Brakes and Fluid Help



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Zajac1
Second Lieutenant
 
Zajac1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 287
iTrader: (1)

Brakes and Fluid Help

I have to change front, rear brakes and fluid.
What u guys recommend ??
2007 E92 37k
Zajac1 is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Zajac1
Second Lieutenant
 
Zajac1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 287
iTrader: (1)

Bump !
Zajac1 is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
N0OS3
Colonel
 
N0OS3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oak Harbor, WA

Posts: 2,219
iTrader: (5)

just the pads? or pads and rotors?
As for fluid... a standard brake fluid vs "racing" brake fluid is the boiling point... as long as you don't intend on tracking your car every day, a standard DOT4 will be fine.
__________________
WTB: 3 Stage Intake Manifold and components - PM me your asking price.
N0OS3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Zajac1
Second Lieutenant
 
Zajac1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 287
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0OS3 View Post
just the pads? or pads and rotors?
As for fluid... a standard brake fluid vs "racing" brake fluid is the boiling point... as long as you don't intend on tracking your car every day, a standard DOT4 will be fine.
pads and rotors my friend
Zajac1 is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
sibhusky
Private
 
Drives: 2007 E91 328XI
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NoVa

Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

for fluid you can use valvoline dot3-4 fluid commercially available. If you can ATE dot 4 which is very common for german cars is available at specialty stores. Get the blue fluid so you can tell that youve cleared out the oem brown colored fluid.

For pads i think textar/jurid do the oem pads.
sibhusky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
N0OS3
Colonel
 
N0OS3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oak Harbor, WA

Posts: 2,219
iTrader: (5)

i recently put Callahan drilled/slotted rotors on my e90, came with ceramic pads and brake pad wear sensors. Search for them on ebay... great price, 1yr guarantee, they dont rust (like regular pads do), hard to warp, and callahan advertises they dont squeal either but i put antisqueal on them anyway. While you're at it, i suggest getting stainless steel brake lines too, stops the spongy feel of braking, reduces brake fade, and you will have more confidence in stopping efficiency.
The blue fluid thing isnt necessary... i hear from experts all the time that say completely flushing the brake system is a waste of time as the only moisture build-up is from either lose connections to the calipers or from the master cylinder not being topped off, neither of which occurs in the middle of the hard lines; bleeding the brakes after taking out the old fluid in the MC and replacing with new DOT4 will do just as much good as flushing the whole system... if it make u feel more comfortable to bleed them with colored fluid, go for it. ^__^
I've also been turned away from generic DOT3/4 combo fluids... supposedly the fluid will "mix" itself over time with the existing fluid in order to come to a common viscosity... this mixture can trap and move moisture with it in the process as well as affect the boiling point of the fluid (not typically the case)

sorry for the long reply... just passing info along
__________________
WTB: 3 Stage Intake Manifold and components - PM me your asking price.
N0OS3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Revision2
Captain
 
Revision2's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 07 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 728
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [3.64]
You might get more info / advice over in the Suspension | Brakes | Chassis section. I'm starting to look into rotors and pads for my front and right now leaning towards Centric cryo treated rotors and Hawk HPS pads. I don't track much with the car but do spirited driving from time to time so don't need anything more aggressive but wanted a slight upgrade from stock.
Revision2 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
conrad325i
Private First Class
 
conrad325i's Avatar
 
Drives: Monaco Blue BMW 325i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

Sometimes people hate it wen BavarianAuto is mentioned but you can buy a complete kit that has every thing you need in one box. Convenient in my opinion.
__________________
18" Type 67s|Charcoal Delete|K&N Drop-in|Rear Fogs|Cool Carbon|De-Badge|Blackout Kidneys|Custom Exhaust
conrad325i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Zajac1
Second Lieutenant
 
Zajac1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 287
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad325i View Post
Sometimes people hate it wen BavarianAuto is mentioned but you can buy a complete kit that has every thing you need in one box. Convenient in my opinion.
Do you mean this ??
RBK E901
Replacement Brake Kit - Full-Car Kit - includes front and rear brakes
$ 517.95
Zajac1 is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
Zajac1
Second Lieutenant
 
Zajac1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 287
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0OS3 View Post
i recently put Callahan drilled/slotted rotors on my e90, came with ceramic pads and brake pad wear sensors. Search for them on ebay... great price, 1yr guarantee, they dont rust (like regular pads do), hard to warp, and callahan advertises they dont squeal either but i put antisqueal on them anyway. While you're at it, i suggest getting stainless steel brake lines too, stops the spongy feel of braking, reduces brake fade, and you will have more confidence in stopping efficiency.
The blue fluid thing isnt necessary... i hear from experts all the time that say completely flushing the brake system is a waste of time as the only moisture build-up is from either lose connections to the calipers or from the master cylinder not being topped off, neither of which occurs in the middle of the hard lines; bleeding the brakes after taking out the old fluid in the MC and replacing with new DOT4 will do just as much good as flushing the whole system... if it make u feel more comfortable to bleed them with colored fluid, go for it. ^__^
I've also been turned away from generic DOT3/4 combo fluids... supposedly the fluid will "mix" itself over time with the existing fluid in order to come to a common viscosity... this mixture can trap and move moisture with it in the process as well as affect the boiling point of the fluid (not typically the case)

sorry for the long reply... just passing info along
Thank you for your help : )
Ill check those Callahan brakes : )
Zajac1 is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Zajac1
Second Lieutenant
 
Zajac1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 287
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision2 View Post
You might get more info / advice over in the Suspension | Brakes | Chassis section. I'm starting to look into rotors and pads for my front and right now leaning towards Centric cryo treated rotors and Hawk HPS pads. I don't track much with the car but do spirited driving from time to time so don't need anything more aggressive but wanted a slight upgrade from stock.
I did that already : )
Zajac1 is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
 
mlifxs's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida

Posts: 1,740
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
for what it's worth, the stealership told me that my rotors should be able to handle one change in pads, without replacing rotors and they did replace my rear pads at 72k, without rotors and no problem. Wondering, with only 37k miles, do you really need rotors?
mlifxs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
benzo23
Colonel
 
benzo23's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL

Posts: 2,886
iTrader: (1)

at around 80k I did stoptech rotors with the black hubs, ATE racing blue fluid, and akebono ceramic pads on my old e90. It was a nice setup perfect for all of my daily driving and best of all NO DUST. Oh and bought new front and rear sensors from the dealer.
benzo23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Zajac1
Second Lieutenant
 
Zajac1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 287
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
for what it's worth, the stealership told me that my rotors should be able to handle one change in pads, without replacing rotors and they did replace my rear pads at 72k, without rotors and no problem. Wondering, with only 37k miles, do you really need rotors?
i dnt think so i need rotors now but its cheaper to buy a whole new kit.
Zajac1 is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST