E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Weird "hum" noise at high speeds

02-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
geost
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M Sport

Weird "hum" noise at high speeds

Hi folks. I recently picked up a Space Grey Metallic 2011 335D M-Sport and I have a strange problem (if it's considered a problem). When I drive at high speeds (ie. freeway) I hear a weird humming noise which I *think* is coming from the rear but I'm not certain. Initially I thought it was the OEM runflats. So I replaced everything with new Falken tires and 19" VB3s. But the sound is still there. Although it's no where near as loud as it was before or that obvious but the weird "humming" noise is still there.

It's almost as if the humming noise gets loud, then low, then loud, then low, etc. This happens when I drive about 50+ MPH. I had a PPI done and when I mentioned it the shop they said it could be my tires since the rears were really worn out. I wish I could take video but I don't think my phone would pick it up that well. Can anyone suggest what it could be? Is this normal? This is my first diesel. I had an 2008 328i Coupe which I traded for this 335D.

Any help would be much appreciated. TIA!
      02-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Built4Sin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d Sport

Garage List
2004 VW TOUAREG  [5.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [4.50]
Did the shop check the wheel bearings?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
geost
Private First Class
Rep

Not that I'm aware of. My car only has 28k miles. Is it possible for the wheel bearings to go out this soon? During the PPI they said they didn't notice any weird noises. My guess is they didn't drive it at a higher speed to hear it.

So I guess my best option is to take it back so they can check the bearings correct?
      02-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Built4Sin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d Sport

Garage List
2004 VW TOUAREG  [5.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [4.50]
If you have a jack, jack up a corner and spin the wheel. The wheel should spin freely, if you feel resistance that's not present in the others.. Its somewhere to start.

I want to say I remember reading a few E90's having bad wheel bearings somewhere.

Or just take it back and see if you can get a tech to sit in the car with you for a few on a small drive down the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

Regardless of mileage I would check the wheel bearings anyway. But I did have humming kind of with my VMR wheels also. But the noise did not progressively get worse and 95% of the time I did not hear anything. I always thought it was the wheel bearing/hub area then when I switched back to oem 18s and thicker sidewalls, there is no more sound. So I don't know if it's the size of the wheels, sidewall size, or the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
syrinxstar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

It was the rear diff for me

I bought a 2010 CPO 335d two years ago and noticed what I considered a high pitch whine almost immediately. It was easy to drown out if music was playing at a reasonable volume. For me, it also sounded like it could be some kind of high-pitched feedback from the speakers -- for a while I was thinking it might be some electrical issue.

I was finally able to figure out the exact conditions to make the noise appear. It was light to medium throttle from 68 to 80 mph. Definitely from the rear of the vehicle. If it took my foot of the gas at these speeds, it would disappear. This eliminated wheel bearings. I had to find just the right stretch of highway and took a service tech along and he heard it. They took the car and went on multiple rides to replicate and confirm it was the rear diff. Took a few days but they confirmed and R&R'd the rear diff. The sound is now gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
geost
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built4Sin View Post
If you have a jack, jack up a corner and spin the wheel. The wheel should spin freely, if you feel resistance that's not present in the others.. Its somewhere to start.

I want to say I remember reading a few E90's having bad wheel bearings somewhere.

Or just take it back and see if you can get a tech to sit in the car with you for a few on a small drive down the road.
Good point. I'll try this and see what I find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Regardless of mileage I would check the wheel bearings anyway. But I did have humming kind of with my VMR wheels also. But the noise did not progressively get worse and 95% of the time I did not hear anything. I always thought it was the wheel bearing/hub area then when I switched back to oem 18s and thicker sidewalls, there is no more sound. So I don't know if it's the size of the wheels, sidewall size, or the car.
The humming was present with my OEM wheels/run flat tires. Just yesterday I replaced them with my VMRs and the noise is still there. So that rules out the tires (damn!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrinxstar View Post
I bought a 2010 CPO 335d two years ago and noticed what I considered a high pitch whine almost immediately. It was easy to drown out if music was playing at a reasonable volume. For me, it also sounded like it could be some kind of high-pitched feedback from the speakers -- for a while I was thinking it might be some electrical issue.

I was finally able to figure out the exact conditions to make the noise appear. It was light to medium throttle from 68 to 80 mph. Definitely from the rear of the vehicle. If it took my foot of the gas at these speeds, it would disappear. This eliminated wheel bearings. I had to find just the right stretch of highway and took a service tech along and he heard it. They took the car and went on multiple rides to replicate and confirm it was the rear diff. Took a few days but they confirmed and R&R'd the rear diff. The sound is now gone.
Ah man. I really hope it's not the rear diff. Well maybe it's not because the humming noise still occurs after I take my foot off the gas. What's weird is that the noise gets louder when I'm turning. Say for example turning the wheel to the right getting on the freeway entrance in one of those "loops" if that makes sense. It always gets louder when I turn the wheel to the right. When I turn to the left it seems to go away completely.

Btw thanks to all for the tips/suggestions so far!
      02-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
geost
Private First Class
Rep

Just to close this out. The dealer replaced both wheel bearings in the front under warranty. Apparently the right one was going bad so they replaced both. The humming noise is gone.