E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > SWS-8X Blown?

10-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
jaymd123
Private
Rep

Drives: '10 E90 335i M-Sport

Exclamation SWS-8X Blown?

So I noticed a little less bass in my car the other day and come to find out the passenger side SWS-8X stopped outputting ANY audio. After running continuity tests I isolated it to the speaker. There is no continuity through the speaker at all. Is this just a faulty product?

Just a quick guide on my setup:
JBL MS-8 (2 outs for front components, 2 outs for sub)
XD600/6 set to 4 channels
- CH1 = Front Left
- CH2 = Front Right
- CH3+4 Bridged = Sub Left
- CH4+5 Bridged = Sub Right

I never "tuned" things properly but I did set all my crossovers and set the AMP to 1/2 gain on all channels. Did I overdrive the SWS? I'm starting to think my other still working SWS sounds distorted (maybe its in my head). Any help work be appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymd123
So I noticed a little less bass in my car the other day and come to find out the passenger side SWS-8X stopped outputting ANY audio. After running continuity tests I isolated it to the speaker. There is no continuity through the speaker at all. Is this just a faulty product?

Just a quick guide on my setup:
JBL MS-8 (2 outs for front components, 2 outs for sub)
XD600/6 set to 4 channels
- CH1 = Front Left
- CH2 = Front Right
- CH3+4 Bridged = Sub Left
- CH4+5 Bridged = Sub Right

I never "tuned" things properly but I did set all my crossovers and set the AMP to 1/2 gain on all channels. Did I overdrive the SWS? I'm starting to think my other still working SWS sounds distorted (maybe its in my head). Any help work be appreciated!!
Very hard to blow it.
Check the wirings again.
Or use voltmeter to confirm.
      10-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E91 XDrive

If you have infinite resistance/no continuity through the speaker and you have the speaker disconnected from the amp as you do the test, then you have a melted voice coil.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
jaymd123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
If you have infinite resistance/no continuity through the speaker and you have the speaker disconnected from the amp as you do the test, then you have a melted voice coil.
This is exactly what happened. With the setup above is there anyway you can explain that? I'm thinking by selecting 4CH on the XD600/6 (Summing and spreading across all 6CH) that it maybe doubled the voltage and half gain was too much?

The reason I say that is because I tried another setup where I selected 6CH on the XD600/6 and put one MS8 sub-output to CH3 input and the other MS8 sub-output to CH5 input and the volume was essentially halved. I assume that had something to do with the fact that i'm bridging CH3+4 and CH5+6 on the XD. Maybe this was the correct setup?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
jaymd123
Private
Rep

Bump

Would really like some input here to see if this was my fault or a manufacturing defect. I just can't understand how I melted the coil at 1/2 gain on the XD.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E91 XDrive

The PE rating of a 4-ohm SWS-8 is 150W RMS. (In EE speak PE is the power it can run without melting the voice coil).

The output from two channels of a xd600/6 bridged is 200W.

It's been done many times without failure - we haven't had it happen and we've done it a few times, for instance - but I don't see that losing a VC at 25% above PE is a shocking occurence. I wouldn't call it a defect in workmanship.

BTW, the input sensitivity control doesn't limit output power, it controls how much signal it takes to reach max output power. The HiFi cars have 5V balanced, so you can reach higher levels with OE integrations than you could with an RCA head unit 2V or even 4V output, for example.

If you were using xi 2-ohm woofers I would expect the amp to be shutting off, but I would also expect it to be delivering more than 200W.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F10

Have you checked your wirings thorougly?
Have you checked the impedence directly from sub terminals?

It is worth of checking it.

My passenger side sub stopped working and I though I burnt the VC.

I checked the wiring and its wiring at the amp side was disconneted due to me playing with the sub in the trunk.
      10-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
jaymd123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
The PE rating of a 4-ohm SWS-8 is 150W RMS. (In EE speak PE is the power it can run without melting the voice coil).

The output from two channels of a xd600/6 bridged is 200W.

It's been done many times without failure - we haven't had it happen and we've done it a few times, for instance - but I don't see that losing a VC at 25% above PE is a shocking occurence. I wouldn't call it a defect in workmanship.

BTW, the input sensitivity control doesn't limit output power, it controls how much signal it takes to reach max output power. The HiFi cars have 5V balanced, so you can reach higher levels with OE integrations than you could with an RCA head unit 2V or even 4V output, for example.

If you were using xi 2-ohm woofers I would expect the amp to be shutting off, but I would also expect it to be delivering more than 200W.
Thanks for the explanation on the input sensitivity. I got the same speech from Abraham at Earthquake. He was very understanding about my issue and gave me goodwill pricing on 2 new SWS-8xi's which he recommended I run non-bridged @ 2 ohms to give me a safe 100 watts RMS. I guess you live and you learn!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
jaymd123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Have you checked your wirings thorougly?
Have you checked the impedence directly from sub terminals?

It is worth of checking it.

My passenger side sub stopped working and I though I burnt the VC.

I checked the wiring and its wiring at the amp side was disconneted due to me playing with the sub in the trunk.
No it's definitely melted. I took the subwoofer out and tested the leads directly. Not to mention the smell of burnt plastic.
Appreciate 0