E90Post

Sparta Evolution

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Did the F30 change audio setups?

11-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Wongway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Did the F30 change audio setups?

So I'm driving a loaner.

I noticed a center channel and tweeters but no other obvious hints to it's audio.

Gotta say, with equivalent music, (I took my hard drive with me) it does NOT do a good job with producing a quality center.

Stage and sound quality just sounds flat, dull, lifeless. Stale and clinical would be appropriate, I believe.

Really makes me appreciate my setup even more.

Edit:
Also, One of my original critique of the base audio, was that sounds seem to be emanating from below my ears. I assumed it was because of a lack of tweeters (and in this case, a center as well) to bring the sound up. I guess I was wrong about that, because despite having tweeters and a center channel speaker in this F30, it still sounds as if the the meat of the sound is emanating from below and not head high or above.

Last edited by Wongway; 11-11-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
cdgatti
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

With the F30, there is a center channel even with the hifi option. Only got a center with the e90 with the top hifi.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Wongway
Lieutenant
Rep

It must be the Hi-fi then, because I don't recall the Logic 7 sounding this bad/weak in the E90. Wouldn't think they'd go backwards on this series.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
cdgatti
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

yea I have heard general concensus is that the logic 7 system in the f30 is pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Jabber88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

@wongway That's funny you say that, I actually have the new 428i and I noticed the same thing as well. This car is fully loaded too with 7logic and Harman sound system and the lows and bass are almost non existent. Even with the bass turned all the way up, it no where near compares to the sound in my e90. I was very surprised. I love the car otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #6
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post

Gotta say... Stage and sound quality just sounds flat, dull, lifeless. Stale and clinical would be appropriate, I believe.
its a german car as std they all get

crap seats (poor lumba support = backache, all three BMs I had from e28 to present all the same, the worse is the heated, vented, massaging, active, S class ones with 21 point agony lumba at every setting and the shoulder adjustment that cripples you after just half an hour. Ford Focus one's nice and comfy though !!!)
crap headlights (dull, dim, pathetic glow worms, even with xenons, that all the way golf, merc w124, w211, w221 and the BM 335d)
crap stereos (on all of them)

they all seem to be the same... why do people buy them?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
Wongway
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post

Up until the F30, no other manufacturer, German, Japanese, U.S. or otherwise could build a car with the driving feel of a BMW 3 series. Go back to the E90s, E46, E36, etc. and they were all fantastic driving machines.

Though as of late, the overly boosted F30 steering and 'mushiness' of the regular F30's standard platform may turn me away to either look into either the 2 series or another manufacturer altogether.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post

Edit:
Also, One of my original critique of the base audio, was that sounds seem to be emanating from below my ears. I assumed it was because of a lack of tweeters (and in this case, a center as well) to bring the sound up. I guess I was wrong about that, because despite having tweeters and a center channel speaker in this F30, it still sounds as if the the meat of the sound is emanating from below and not head high or above.

my E90 335d with Hi Fi had sound stage firmly fixed on the floor just behind the driver... this was a bigger nastier fault than the actual sound it made.

I fitted an x6/600 and could tune/set it up till it was OK... with a small sub in the boot it was good enough and would easily be OK for stock production car. Some decent quality tweeters and it would have been fit for joe average to buy a premium branded car.

Quite what's wrong with the designers ears is beyond me
Its like the seats and headlights, Ford's are built in Germany, Vauxhall is built in Germany, but they manage to make seats and headlights that function normally. BM, Merc and VW don't. Not tried a Porsche but I guess the genetics of these guys is faulty as well
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
Wongway
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quite what's wrong with the designers ears is beyond me
Its like the seats and headlights, Ford's are built in Germany, Vauxhall is built in Germany, but they manage to make seats and headlights that function normally. BM, Merc and VW don't. Not tried a Porsche but I guess the genetics of these guys is faulty as well
Forgot you were in the UK!

Eh, seats and headlights are subjective. Your laws governing the headlight codes are different than ours. Consequently, what you may find as good in a Ford over there might be completely different to us over here. Like, for example, current generation Xenons I've found here in the BMW's are a lot better than past iterations from many manufacturers over.

Surprisingly, I found my 2011 E90's halogen headlights to be somewhat 'okay' here, especially considering how bad some of the past ones I've come across from Audi, Honda, Ford, etc. were.

Over here, I think the better seats from BMW pretty much only come in the sport package (sport seats), the rest of them are pretty mundane. I've definitely been in nicer seats from Infiniti, Acura, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A mate has a Vauxhall Insignia (GM) with optional xenon lights. They are incredibly bright. Really Really bright and really annoying if he's behind you, never seen anything like it. Makes the Xenons on my e90 look like yellow side light bulbs.

The best setup I ever seen for main beam was on Volvo S30 S40's they are absolutely fantastic. Easily twice the output of geman cars. I drove up to see my mate and he was impressed then we went out in his A8 with LED mains xenon dip and it was a total joke, you couldn't see anything.

I have a GM Omega with 14 year old Xenons and halogen main... its much better than either my S class merc or the BM.

...Volvo seats give me backache as well... as do Golf ones... both lacked lumba in the right place and way too much in the wrong place. Volvo upgraded audio systems was pretty good
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
Wongway
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A mate has a Vauxhall Insignia (GM) with optional xenon lights. They are incredibly bright. Really Really bright and really annoying if he's behind you, never seen anything like it. Makes the Xenons on my e90 look like yellow side light bulbs.
You'd probably hate the night driving here in the states. I've heard of plenty of people that look to import E-code headlights here to the U.S. because their(yours) beam patterns and light dispersion are superior to ours here in the states...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #12
zhp43867
Ohhai
Rep
Drives: E90 M-Sport

Quote:
its a german car as std they all get

crap seats (poor lumba support = backache, all three BMs I had from e28 to present all the same, the worse is the heated, vented, massaging, active, S class ones with 21 point agony lumba at every setting and the shoulder adjustment that cripples you after just half an hour. Ford Focus one's nice and comfy though !!!)
crap headlights (dull, dim, pathetic glow worms, even with xenons, that all the way golf, merc w124, w211, w221 and the BM 335d)
crap stereos (on all of them)

That Mercedes has incredibly comfortable seats, Ford Focuses do not. E90 Xenons are fantastic, I know you guys have varying levels of xenons overseas that we don't. The Harmon Kardon in the E90 is nothing to shake a stick at once EQd. Older german cars did have poor stereos, take a listen to the Burmester in the Panamera and Cayenne and tell me again that German cars still do.

Maybe you should move to the US and drive our mediocre heaps.
Appreciate 0