E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Koni FSD for XI

10-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
gmazzu
Private
Rep

Drives: 335 M-Sport X-Drive 6 speed

Koni FSD for XI

I noticed from Koni's website they are now offering FSD's for the 335xi. What are people's thoughts on these shocks for the 335? I have read a lot of positive reviews on the 1 series board and the the suspension section here. I was thinking about using the stock springs as I really dont need to drop the car, if I did it would probably with something minimal.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
ccraig13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

I researched these a lot and decided to go with Bilstein instead. The reason being everyone says they're a dream come true for the first 10-15k, then after that they lose their magic and go back to being as good as stock.
      11-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
mjlav3
Rep

Drives: 2009 335 E90 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13
I researched these a lot and decided to go with Bilstein instead. The reason being everyone says they're a dream come true for the first 10-15k, then after that they lose their magic and go back to being as good as stock.
Did you ever consider koni yellows? Right now the hd's are hard to come and the xDrive yellows are meant for stock springs like the hd's, as far as I can tell. But tons of people do run the yellows on eibach or H&R springs, I think they just tight the yellows to accommodate. Anyone else want to chime in? I'm not sure which of these two to choose while keeping my stock springs and height.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlav3 View Post
Did you ever consider koni yellows? Right now the hd's are hard to come and the xDrive yellows are meant for stock springs like the hd's, as far as I can tell. But tons of people do run the yellows on eibach or H&R springs, I think they just tight the yellows to accommodate. Anyone else want to chime in? I'm not sure which of these two to choose while keeping my stock springs and height.
Koni sport (yellows) are intended for shorter stiffer springs. Maybe you're thinking of the FSD's.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
mjlav3
Rep

Drives: 2009 335 E90 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida
Quote:
Koni sport (yellows) are intended for shorter stiffer springs. Maybe you're thinking of the FSD's.
What I read was that they were designed for stock but are not length dependent and can be run on lowered springs. People seem to tighten more when lowered to accommodate. Could be wrong but that's what I gathered from the koni sight. For the xdrive they specify lowered or not and the yellows for that car suggest not lowered. No? I know I've read many people in stock but most people doing aftermarket shocks also want lowered ride height.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What I read was that they were designed for stock but are not length dependent and can be run on lowered springs. People seem to tighten more when lowered to accommodate. Could be wrong but that's what I gathered from the koni sight. For the xdrive they specify lowered or not and the yellows for that car suggest not lowered. No? I know I've read many people in stock but most people doing aftermarket shocks also want lowered ride height.
Maybe read some more.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
^That

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The Koni website is confusing:

http://www.koni-na.com/fsd.cfm

vs

http://www.koni-na.com/sport.cfm

I guess you could use Eibachs on the FSD or go with stock springs. As a practical matter no one uses sports with stock springs, or it would be unwise IMHO. Even on the softest setting they'd be pretty firm for stock springs.

I do not think Koni makes an HD equivalent specifically for stock springs & ride height, at least not for the Xi.
Appreciate 0