E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Want to use Nexus 7 instead of iDrive. Need brainstorming

08-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
hockeydude35
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2006 AW/Terra 330i

Want to use Nexus 7 instead of iDrive. Need brainstorming

Hi all...I really dislike iDrive...unfortunately, I love everything else about my car, so trading it for a non-iDrive is not really an option. Anyway, I'm trying to come up with a way to basically hide the iDrive screen, and in it's place, mount my Nexus 7 Tablet. What I'm thinking is to somehow fabricate a cover more or less, out of fiberglass, that would cover the entire iDrive recessed area, creating a flat mounting surface.

Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions? OR if anyone knows of a cover like this that already exists (highly unlikely)...let me know.
      10-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
JstSqzd
Enlisted Member

Drives: '08 335i 6mt

Sounds like a fun project. I did something like this a few years ago with my e34 535i. Grafted a touchscreen into my dash. Basically bought an extra dash piece, dremeled out space for the screen and just epoxied and bondo'd until it was smooth. Made it look like it was meant to be there, it was a ton of work though!

What i think would be cool would be remove the current screen and put the tablet back there, within touching distance. But build a controller so you can use the idrive & steering wheel buttons to control it. Using a touchscreen while driving is frustrating at times.

Check out this website mp3car.com