E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tial Questions

Yesterday, 12:36 AM   #1
BlackBetty335i
Walter White
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Tial Questions

Hey guys just let me start by saying i don't know much about bov's but I knew I wanted one so last night I put a tial on my car. Only other mods I have is an intake and the vrsf cp. Like I said, I don't know much but I do think that the bov should open up while revving at idle(correct me if I'm wrong) and mine doesn't open at all. Also mine seems to be real quiet. Iv'e never heard or seen what one is supposed to look like so I don't really have anything to compare mine to. If you guys could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Let me know if pictures will help and I'll upload some later.

Last edited by BlackBetty335i; Yesterday at 12:36 AM. Reason: didn' describe what type of bov
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:24 AM   #2
335NJ
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty335i View Post
Hey guys just let me start by saying i don't know much about bov's but I knew I wanted one so last night I put a tial on my car. Only other mods I have is an intake and the vrsf cp. Like I said, I don't know much but I do think that the bov should open up while revving at idle(correct me if I'm wrong) and mine doesn't open at all. Also mine seems to be real quiet. Iv'e never heard or seen what one is supposed to look like so I don't really have anything to compare mine to. If you guys could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Let me know if pictures will help and I'll upload some later.
I made a thread the night I installed mine with the same "issue", but, it's perfectly normal for it to not open when there's no load like driving under throttle building boost.

Check all vacuum connections, but the Tial is the quietest BOV for this platform, so it won't sound like most cars you hear on the street with a blow off valve.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:11 AM   #3
BlackBetty335i
Walter White
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ
Quote:
I made a thread the night I installed mine with the same "issue", but, it's perfectly normal for it to not open when there's no load like driving under throttle building boost.

Check all vacuum connections, but the Tial is the quietest BOV for this platform, so it won't sound like most cars you hear on the street with a blow off valve.
Ok I just didn't know because everyone talks about upgrading to different spring sizes and changing vacuum lines and I had no idea whether any of that might have been my problem. I'll check all my lines and make sure nothing is leaking. thanks
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:29 AM   #4
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Money Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Ok I just didn't know because everyone talks about upgrading to different spring sizes and changing vacuum lines and I had no idea whether any of that might have been my problem. I'll check all my lines and make sure nothing is leaking. thanks
I just got mine from Mike @ N54Tuning. My Tial is really quiet. If I rev it to like 5k it'll go off while not moving. I have a problem with mine though, mine came with a 10psi spring and when warm under idle is stays open a little bit. According to Fred at ER they are not supposed to so hes sending me an 11psi spring for it. I was told to make sure the vacuum line is directly to intake manifold.
      Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #5
shadow191
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX

If your car is in park or neutral, you won't really build boost. So it's not going to open while you're parked. I don't think anything is wrong with your BOV at all.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #6
Lawton438
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

If it's the first time it's been installed, ide recommend taking it off and applying pressure with you hand as it may just be Abit tight never been used before, I had the same issue and just used a little engine oil on my finger and ran it around the valve
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #7
BlackBetty335i
Walter White
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRidingDirty
Quote:
I just got mine from Mike @ N54Tuning. My Tial is really quiet. If I rev it to like 5k it'll go off while not moving. I have a problem with mine though, mine came with a 10psi spring and when warm under idle is stays open a little bit. According to Fred at ER they are not supposed to so hes sending me an 11psi spring for it. I was told to make sure the vacuum line is directly to intake manifold.
ok maybe I'll try that. mine doesn't go direct to the manifold I just connected the new hose to the stock one
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #8
BlackBetty335i
Walter White
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawton438
If it's the first time it's been installed, ide recommend taking it off and applying pressure with you hand as it may just be Abit tight never been used before, I had the same issue and just used a little engine oil on my finger and ran it around the valve
I tried opening it with my my hands when I first got it and I'm not even kidding I don't even think superman could open it. I mean it didn't budge a bit
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #9
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI 335i

Mine is quiet as well, just pull it apart and check to make sure spring is correct one for N54 motor.
      Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #10
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Money Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
ok maybe I'll try that. mine doesn't go direct to the manifold I just connected the new hose to the stock one
Get rid of the stock hose and run just the hose for the tial to the manifold, that stock hose could be your issue.
      Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #11
335NJ
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRidingDirty View Post
Get rid of the stock hose and run just the hose for the tial to the manifold, that stock hose could be your issue.
+1 on running a direct line.

Note: the small, fragile plastic nipple on the manifold that the line connects to breaks easily, so be VERY careful when pulling it off. Try to cut it off gently.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #12
BlackBetty335i
Walter White
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race
Mine is quiet as well, just pull it apart and check to make sure spring is correct one for N54 motor.
which one is the correct one and how do I tell which one mine has? it didn't say when I got it and I've heard the 11 is the right one and the 10 is also right
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #13
BlackBetty335i
Walter White
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRidingDirty
Quote:
ok will have to try that and see. I'll definitely have to get a longer line though first
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:47 PM   #14
335NJ
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
which one is the correct one and how do I tell which one mine has? it didn't say when I got it and I've heard the 11 is the right one and the 10 is also right
The standard spring for the N54 is the 11psi, 10 will work fine for the record. Keep in mind Tial rates their springs based on vacuum for the Q, not boost, so an insufficient vacuum source can cause venting issues.

Their website has the spring color chart to show which one is which rating.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:04 AM   #15
BlackBetty335i
Walter White
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ
Quote:
The standard spring for the N54 is the 11psi, 10 will work fine for the record. Keep in mind Tial rates their springs based on vacuum for the Q, not boost, so an insufficient vacuum source can cause venting issues.

Their website has the spring color chart to show which one is which rating.
Alright thanks for all the help I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:57 AM   #16
blisstik
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Make sure you put the O ring inside of the ER chargepipe. It's the same O ring that is found on the MANN filter.