E90Post

ProTUNING Freaks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Advice on OFHG leak?

Yesterday, 10:14 AM   #1
mg4734
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

Advice on OFHG leak?

Hi everyone,

Went into the stealership for an oil change yesterday (I know, just more convenient), and the mechanic mentioned that my oil filter housing is beginning to leak and that the repair is to replace the gaskets on both the filter housing and the oil cooler attachment (to the tune of $1k). The mechanic said it is a fairly slow leak

Anyone have some advice on how quickly I need to get this repaired? Also, I am 100% a noob for DIY jobs, is this at all feasible for me to do myself? I saw some DIY threads but it seems pretty complex. I got a better quote for the job from an indy shop but it's still going to cost around $700.

Thanks!!
      Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #2
jkrig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Not complex at all, once you start to remove the necessary parts it will make sense and is fairly straight forward once you get into it, like your mech said good idea to do the heat exchange gasket while you are there. If anything its just messy, have some shop rags ready when removing both as there will be some oil and coolant drainange, not to mention cleaning up the oil that has leaked down to the bottom of the motor.....follow the DIY and you shuold be good.
      Yesterday, 03:59 PM   #3
Jklad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

You'll want to replace the the oil filter housing gasket, the thermostat gasket, and both oil line orings as you do this job. It should not take the dealer any longer than 4 hours (probobly 3) and the 2 gaskets and orings parts are around $30 total. Find out why they are charging so much and what their hourly rates are. Yes you will have to top off coolant and prime the water pump.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #4
jaymesbry
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Might as well get a walnut blast while they are down there shouldn't cost too much more and doing both through an indy cost me way less than 1k
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:42 PM   #5
Jklad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymesbry
Might as well get a walnut blast while they are down there shouldn't cost too much more and doing both through an indy cost me way less than 1k
Yes good point your already seperatin the intake mani so might as well blast them.
Appreciate 0