E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > OFT Stage 1 Datalog



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (8)

OFT Stage 1 Datalog

Did a datalog the other night (2nd all the way through 3rd to redline) and just wanted to how you guys think my car is running.. My mods are BMS DCI and AE performance exhaust.. temps were in the mid 70s and i run only shell 93 vpower gasoline

BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
themyst
Major General
 
themyst's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,602
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
suggestion for these OTS maps ... perhaps you can adjust the scalar upwards a bit to keep the trims from being so close to tapped? easy enough to do in TunerPro.
themyst is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
135Pats
Can't decide....
 
135Pats's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,413
iTrader: (1)

These graphs continue to bemuse me, but it looks fine outside of some minor timing retards. Likely due to IAT comp tables, look at your charge temps by the end of the pull. You need a better intercooler! Delta of almost 100 degrees in terms of charge temp after a 2 gear pull, not what you want. Boost curves, AFR, etc look just fine to me. Maybe a bit tight on trim? I’m sure PROcede folks will chime in, it takes me a few minutes just to figure out what the hell I’m looking at with the graph style data logs.

Why do PROcede logs do so much better with AFR than JB logs? Don’t mean to derail this or start a tuner war, but 80% of the JB logs I see are running quite lean. It’s a DI motor and JB is proven, so I’m not saying it’s unsafe…but it does strike me as odd when AFRs are 14 at peak boost.
__________________
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/RB Turbos/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
JStang
N54 ADDICT
 
JStang's Avatar
 
Drives: FBO E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

Posts: 2,896
iTrader: (6)

Trims are very close to being maxed out. You need an intercooler in a bad way.
__________________

PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R/Koni Sport | BBS CH-R
JStang is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
These graphs continue to bemuse me, but it looks fine outside of some minor timing retards. Likely due to IAT comp tables, look at your charge temps by the end of the pull. You need a better intercooler! Delta of almost 100 degrees in terms of charge temp after a 2 gear pull, not what you want. Boost curves, AFR, etc look just fine to me. Maybe a bit tight on trim? I’m sure PROcede folks will chime in, it takes me a few minutes just to figure out what the hell I’m looking at with the graph style data logs.

Why do PROcede logs do so much better with AFR than JB logs? Don’t mean to derail this or start a tuner war, but 80% of the JB logs I see are running quite lean. It’s a DI motor and JB is proven, so I’m not saying it’s unsafe…but it does strike me as odd when AFRs are 14 at peak boost.
yeah helix fmic is definitely my next mod just waiting to get my mtech front bumper to do it all in one shot and get more air to the intercooler
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Trims are very close to being maxed out. You need an intercooler in a bad way.
thanks for the response, helix fmic will be purchased within the next month or so
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarasota

Posts: 528
iTrader: (0)

Seeing low timing and timing drops. Ait is super high. I bet if you could log all cylinders you would see timing drops all over the place. Fuel trims are high too. IMO, trims should be in the +- 10 % range to leave some headroom. Overall not too impressed. You need a fmic like yesterday.

Harry
ZTUNER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTUNER View Post
Seeing low timing and timing drops. Ait is super high. I bet if you could log all cylinders you would see timing drops all over the place. Fuel trims are high too. IMO, trims should be in the +- 10 % range to leave some headroom. Overall not too impressed. You need a fmic like yesterday.

Harry
just out of curiosity in your opinion will the fmic aide in correcting most of these issues or do i have more than a fmic to worry about?
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
jippii ensio
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On the road

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (0)

What's your mileage? IATs are high even for a stock FMIC. Something like if you would have it fully exposed and it had been hit by stones and crap.
jippii ensio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
135Pats
Can't decide....
 
135Pats's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,413
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
just out of curiosity in your opinion will the fmic aide in correcting most of these issues or do i have more than a fmic to worry about?
Charge temps are through the roof, and the car is very likely pulling back timing as a result. Whether that solves all the “noise” is tough to know, esp. since your log doesn’t show all 6 cylinder corrections. But to be clear, your car is not enjoying those types of CATs.
__________________
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/RB Turbos/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
What's your mileage? IATs are high even for a stock FMIC. Something like if you would have it fully exposed and it had been hit by stones and crap.
39k miles and its definitely not fully exposed i have the stock bumper with the lower grill on it
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
jippii ensio
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On the road

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
39k miles and its definitely not fully exposed i have the stock bumper with the lower grill on it
Sorry, I meant exposed to stones as without the grill. Bad condition of the FMIC would have explained the high IATs.
jippii ensio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
JStang
N54 ADDICT
 
JStang's Avatar
 
Drives: FBO E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

Posts: 2,896
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
What's your mileage? IATs are high even for a stock FMIC. Something like if you would have it fully exposed and it had been hit by stones and crap.
45 degree increase from beginning to end of a 2-3 pull is probably pretty standard for the stock FMIC in hot conditions. My IAT's climbed from 117 to 148 during a 1/4 mile pull in 85 degree, humid, Florida weather with my 5" ETS FMIC.
__________________

PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R/Koni Sport | BBS CH-R
JStang is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
45 degree increase from beginning to end of a 2-3 pull is probably pretty standard for the stock FMIC in hot conditions. My IAT's climbed from 117 to 148 during a 1/4 mile pull in 85 degree, humid, Florida weather with my 5" ETS FMIC.
how do you like your ets fmic? i was deciding between the helix and ets.. just wondering how you think it performs
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
themyst
Major General
 
themyst's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,602
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
how do you like your ets fmic? i was deciding between the helix and ets.. just wondering how you think it performs

its an upgrade over stock but nothing special. id spring for a 7 inch FMIC. (I have the same 5" ETS)
themyst is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
JStang
N54 ADDICT
 
JStang's Avatar
 
Drives: FBO E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

Posts: 2,896
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
its an upgrade over stock but nothing special. id spring for a 7 inch FMIC. (I have the same 5" ETS)
+1. It does it's job but not as well as the 7" would. The 5" has a tough time keeping up in the summer.
__________________

PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R/Koni Sport | BBS CH-R
JStang is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
timtech
Lieutenant
 
timtech's Avatar
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Over there

Posts: 507
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
Did a datalog the other night (2nd all the way through 3rd to redline) and just wanted to how you guys think my car is running.. My mods are BMS DCI and AE performance exhaust.. temps were in the mid 70s and i run only shell 93 vpower gasoline

Does that mean you logged a WOT pull in 2nd from 2,300ish to 6,500ish?
timtech is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtech View Post
Does that mean you logged a WOT pull in 2nd from 2,300ish to 6,500ish?
No, WOT pull from about 2,000 in 2nd all the way to 6,500 in 3rd then i shifted into 4th and stopped it
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,616
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Trims are very close to being maxed out. You need an intercooler in a bad way.
His in-gear fuel trims trims peak at 22%. And at redline. Not really what I would consider close to maxed out. But I agree that an intercooler certainly would help. But I think that applies to anyone with a stock FMIC who isn't driving in Alaska
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
themyst
Major General
 
themyst's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,602
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
His in-gear fuel trims trims peak at 22%. And at redline. Not really what I would consider close to maxed out. But I agree that an intercooler certainly would help. But I think that applies to anyone with a stock FMIC who isn't driving in Alaska

I don't understand why you are so against having trims closer to 0. it allows the DME more adjustment range on both ends of the spectrum.

FWIW, I like to keep my trims around +10 midrange down to 0 at redline.
themyst is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,616
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I don't understand why you are so against having trims closer to 0. it allows the DME more adjustment range on both ends of the spectrum.

FWIW, I like to keep my trims around +10 midrange down to 0 at redline.
Where do I say that I'm against that? I merely said that his trims aren't "close to maxing out" as others have reported. If the OP wants to increase the fuel scalars, he is free to do so. But not out of necessity.

Shiv
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarasota

Posts: 528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
just out of curiosity in your opinion will the fmic aide in correcting most of these issues or do i have more than a fmic to worry about?
The fmic will definitely help. I don't know about shiv's tune but in the Cobb tune if your water temp is over 200f and your sits are over 120f you start getting timing corrections. The higher the Ait the bigger the corrections. There is a timing reduction cap however it can reach as high as 6.5 deg in certain conditions. IMO if you just did fmic it would help a lot. Another thing to do is to get rid of the dp cats. That should take some heat out of the system, not sure how much that will affect timing. I have not done that but in theory it should help.

After extensive logging I feel all tunes are quite aggressive. It's either that or maybe I am too conservative

Harry
ZTUNER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST