E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Down on power after 2nd HPFP replacement, WTF...

01-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
Holshot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335is

Down on power after 2nd HPFP replacement, WTF...

Hey guys, so far not so good with my switch from Japanese turbo cars to their German rivals... About 2 weeks after only owning the car for a few weeks and only a couple hundred miles I had a HPFP failure. Dropped it off at the dealer, got it back from the dealer 2 days later and it drove ok but had a slight erratic idle from time to time and an occasional rough/long crank. After only 9 days of getting the car back and maybe only 200 miles on the new HPFP the car showed the same symptoms and would buck/stumble with more then 20% throttle, check engine light came on and long crank starts...

Back to the dealer, a day later I get the news the car has leaky injectors in cylinders 1, 5 and 6. So they replaced all 6 injectors to be safe. In addition to that the HPFP was also throwing a code again and did not pass the test/check so that was replaced once AGAIN! And then it also spit out a code for the IAT sensor, so that was replaced. So few days later I picked up the car late Saturday afternoon right before the service department closed. The car started up on the first crank, the car idled beautifully and I thought well maybe this time they got it right and I should be ok for awhile. I decided to drive it around and see how she felt after going under the knife and after about 15/20 minutes cruising to allow it to come to temperature I decided to lay into it to see how she pulled.

Something didn't seem right as the car didn't have the same pep as it did before. The car felt really slow compared to before the original HPFP replacement and seemed way down on power. I thought well maybe it was because I left it in regular drive but I wasn't convinced. So I switched over to manual/sport and went through the gears... Again nothing, the car felt flat and the hit was gone, it just had a very gradual pull but no real thump like what I was used to. Before I could easily get the tires to break loose taking off from a stop light but not now. I know cars and I knew there was something wrong but who knows maybe I was just getting used to it. So I had a buddy drive the car yesterday who is not a "car" guy and he said the same thing. He remembered the first time he drove it the car really jumped tHe second you dipped into the throttle and now it felt flat.

I called the dealer this morning and explained what I was experiencing and he assured me that it was all in my head and that the car checks out, no codes are present and it must be that I'm getting "used" to all the power. This is one of the lower power cars that I've owned but then again she's still bone stock but my ass knows the difference and the car is definately down on power. I spoke with a local BMW tuner guy who does coding and he mentioned that the car may have to relearn itself and that it may clear up after a couple hundred miles of driving. He gave it a name for what is going on but unfortunately I don't recall what he called it and I feel bad calling him back as he was out of town and I didn't want to bother him.

So my question has anyone else had issue like this? A loss of power after the injectors, AIT sensor and HPFP was replaced, if so what was the remedy to get it back up on power or will this "fix" itself over time? So far, my first impressions of German engineering isn't all that great and I'm missing the days of simple Japanese tuner cars This also doesn't bode well for my future mod plans as so far the car seems to have been at the dealer more then at home with me, lol... God forbid if I had any mods on the car they would have surely blamed all my issues on them to get out of having to address the failures and stick me with a huge bill. The car is practically new with just around 14,500 miles and and still can't get over the fact it's on its 3rd HPFP and all new injectors. Don't know what to do at this point as the car is no longer fun to drive and has been a huge let down especially with it being down on power now.

Any help or reccommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Joe
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
solishe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Spc Grey Met e90 335i

Garage List
Do you have a tune?

This happened to me after the HPFP recall a few years ago when my car was all stock. The recall SW update felt so detuned. My only solution was to get a tune which is how I got infected with the mod bug. Once I got tuned the smile on my face came back. For a while anyway until the next mod haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Holshot
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solishe View Post
Do you have a tune?

This happened to me after the HPFP recall a few years ago when my car was all stock. The recall SW update felt so detuned. My only solution was to get a tune which is how I got infected with the mod bug. Once I got tuned the smile on my face came back. For a while anyway until the next mod haha.
No, not yet... I've held off on doing anything to the car until it was running at 100%. It wouldn't make sense to start throwing parts at it unless she is running right first. I was hoping by now someone would have chimed in with some ideas on what to look for or where to turn to next but nada. I finally remembered the term he used but I'm not sure what he meant, something to do with adaptions? Not sure if they were cleared or changed or what he meant. I'm hoping to talk to him this weekend when he gets back into town.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Adaptations would be the word. I would say to just keep driving it until it throws another code.

The reality is injectors and fuel pump just pump fuel so if you weren't getting enough fuel it would throw a lean code. As far as IAT sensor, if that wasn't right it would surely throw a code. So there really isn't much else except adaptations.

One thing with injectors is that they need to be "Coded" to the vehicle, so make sure whoever worked on it coded them properly. I forgot what happens if they are not coded properly but maybe someone else can chime in on that.

You could try pulling the battery ground off for 30 minutes and attaching it again, maybe it will allow you to reset adaptations that way, I'm not sure.

You can typically reset adaptations with a BMW diagnostic tool, tune or bavarian technic tool but a generic code reader can't.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Holshot
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks Jeff for the reply... Can you explain what exactly the word "adaptations" means in the BMW world and how they relate to why the car might be down on power? I drove the car today for the first time this week and put about 60 miles on her and she runs perfectly fine but it seems like it's just missing about 50 horsepower. It almost seems like the overboost feature of the IS is missing and there's a little bit of lag on the initial hit that was really never present prior to all this HPFP business. Other then that it drives great, no hesitations, idles perfect, ect...

Thanks,
Joe
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
Rickygst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

is it laggy? I would make sure everything is put back together correctly. Especially the boost pressure solenoids. make sure the lines are hook up correctly. If you have a boost gauge check the boost that you are getting. I think it should be around 8psi on a stock car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
Jon335iFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: This----------->

Sounds like they might have knocked a boost line loose while working on the car . A tiny boost leak isn't likely to throw a code but can be felt on your butt dyno.

A simple log would probably diagnose the problem .
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
Holshot
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes it is a little more laggy then before all this HPFP started... I have looked around and can't seem to find anything unplugged or not connected. I would assume with all the computers and monitoring on these cars a leak or something unplugged would trigger a check engine light or throw a code. Today was nice and sunny so I took it for a nice ride to a BMW dealer to pick up some parts which was 100 miles round trip and still no noticeable difference.

The car drives perfect and is smooth as can be, just missing the hit that I was used to. I'm supposed to drop it off sometime next week when the weather clears up. I just heard back from the original service advisor who I dealt with when I dropped the car off for the 1st & 2nd HPFP replacement and he says he spoke with the shop foreman and he said that the car was coded and flashed correctly. The other guy I spoke with on Monday was an ass and didn't seem like he wanted to help so hopefully now that I'm back in contact with the original SA we'll get to the bottom of this...

Any reccommendations on how to datalog? I'm new to this and would appreciate any help on what seems to be the best way to go about it. I have a Mac, iPad and iPhone so if there is something that is compatible or suitable with Apple products that would be great! I was scheduled to have some coding work done over the weekend but now the weather is supposed to be a wintery mix and I don't drive her in that mess. I was going to have the coding guy run some logs or show me how to go about doing that but it looks like that will have to be the following weekend if the weather holds out.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #9
Jon335iFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: This----------->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holshot View Post
Yes it is a little more laggy then before all this HPFP started... I have looked around and can't seem to find anything unplugged or not connected. I would assume with all the computers and monitoring on these cars a leak or something unplugged would trigger a check engine light or throw a code. Today was nice and sunny so I took it for a nice ride to a BMW dealer to pick up some parts which was 100 miles round trip and still no noticeable difference.

The car drives perfect and is smooth as can be, just missing the hit that I was used to. I'm supposed to drop it off sometime next week when the weather clears up. I just heard back from the original service advisor who I dealt with when I dropped the car off for the 1st & 2nd HPFP replacement and he says he spoke with the shop foreman and he said that the car was coded and flashed correctly. The other guy I spoke with on Monday was an ass and didn't seem like he wanted to help so hopefully now that I'm back in contact with the original SA we'll get to the bottom of this...

Any reccommendations on how to datalog? I'm new to this and would appreciate any help on what seems to be the best way to go about it. I have a Mac, iPad and iPhone so if there is something that is compatible or suitable with Apple products that would be great! I was scheduled to have some coding work done over the weekend but now the weather is supposed to be a wintery mix and I don't drive her in that mess. I was going to have the coding guy run some logs or show me how to go about doing that but it looks like that will have to be the following weekend if the weather holds out.

Thats another thing , It could be as simple as you need to get used to the updated stock tune .

A moderate boost leak will throw a code , But ive had several minor boost leaks that never even threw any codes.

A smoke test would be the best way to visually analyze if there is a boost leak . However if your getting a JB4 anyway then you might as well order it now ( dont forget to get the datalogging cable ) . Then do some logs on map 0 to see if your hitting the stock 8 psi target .

if not then do the smoke test and track down the leak .

EDIT: BTW data logging is super simple. The jb4 has a simple usb connecter, Once its installed you can just swing the wire through the window, plug it into your laptop . install the datalogging software, open up the program and press the spacebar to start logging.

Appreciate 0