E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is this easier than golf tee mod?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
fer360
Private First Class
fer360's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
143
Posts

Drives: 2007 e90 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Is this easier than golf tee mod?

By now everyone has heard about the little door in the driver's side muffler. Has anyone tried just unplugging the control module in the trunk instead of plugging the vacuum lines? Does it generate any error codes?

The module is located in the trunk, just below the tail lights. (Inside the driver's side access panel.) There is a vacuum line coming into the solenoid and another one exiting before passing down through the trunk floor.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
187
Rep
6,186
Posts

Drives: See Sig
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ

iTrader: (8)

Yes its been done. Yes it generates error codes. No it does not produce any dummy lights on the dash. Yes it produces the same effect.
__________________
13 HD FatBob
17 A4 Glacier/Black 1st Edition/Pre+/Sport/EurocodeTMD/Racechip
16 S6 (gone),14 S6 (gone),14 S6 (gone),13 S6 (gone),10 S4 (gone)
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
phazedkid
e92
3
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: e92
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Yes its been done. Yes it generates error codes. No it does not produce any dummy lights on the dash. Yes it produces the same effect.
+!


http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69940
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
fer360
Private First Class
fer360's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
143
Posts

Drives: 2007 e90 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedkid View Post
That link shows plugging the vacuum lines at the muffler. I haven't seen any other reference to simply unplugging the electrical connection for the control solenoid in the trunk.

I've seen lots of links on how to do the golf tee thing, but none said anything about any error codes. (That I remember.)

FWIW I have no plans to disable the muffler flap, I just wondered why no one simply unplugged the electronic control solenoid for it or alternately removed/plugged the vacuum line at the solenoid in the trunk.

Last edited by fer360; 08-04-2007 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
eleven11
Captain
eleven11's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
896
Posts

Drives: -F85 X5M-
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Derby City

iTrader: (0)

I know I should probably search for this (I'm post-call, so bah), but while were on it... when one talks about "throwing an error code," etc, will this disappear once the "error" is corrected. For example, if I were to simply plug this module back in, would the error code disappear? And when you say that it won't show a dummy light on the dash, are the errors only seen by BMW (or whoever has a vehicle link)?
__________________

2017 X5M - Current
2014 M5 ZCP - Retired
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
fer360
Private First Class
fer360's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
143
Posts

Drives: 2007 e90 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I know I should probably search for this (I'm post-call, so bah), but while were on it... when one talks about "throwing an error code," etc, will this disappear once the "error" is corrected. For example, if I were to simply plug this module back in, would the error code disappear? And when you say that it won't show a dummy light on the dash, are the errors only seen by BMW (or whoever has a vehicle link)?
I'd like some clarification of the errors, myself.

Although I haven't installed one myself, I've noticed the instructions for a lot of aftermarket mufflers say to remove and plug the vacuum line.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
fer360
Private First Class
fer360's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
143
Posts

Drives: 2007 e90 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Access panel

For clarity, this is the driver's side panel that contains the solenoid. If you look down inside the hole below the tailight, you will see it. In fact, you can see the wires going to the solenoid, in the picture, at the bottom of the opening.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
de.abeja
First Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
301
Posts

Drives: 335 sedan
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

I don't understand how this is easier than unplugging a hose and sticking something else in it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
phazedkid
e92
3
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: e92
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer360 View Post
That link shows plugging the vacuum lines at the muffler. I haven't seen any other reference to simply unplugging the electrical connection for the control solenoid in the trunk.

I've seen lots of links on how to do the golf tee thing, but none said anything about any error codes. (That I remember.)

FWIW I have no plans to disable the muffler flap, I just wondered why no one simply unplugged the electronic control solenoid for it or alternately removed/plugged the vacuum line at the solenoid in the trunk.
ACTUALLY, "piderD" mentions it in post # 107 on that thread and i mention it again on post #109 on that thread. and from then on people go on to talk about things you want to know.

Namely, the code that computer STORES when you disconnect the solenoid. though the code won't throw a CEL or any sign of anything being wrong on your dash/i-drive, it is stored and a tech CAN read it. though i personally don't see anything going wrong just b/c that solenoid is unplugged and tech finds out about it, for the peace of mind, most decide to go with mechanical solution since it's not that hard to do anyways.

SO perhaps when someone gives you a link, you should READ THE WHOLE THREAD before saying something. in fact, if you SEARCHED, you'd've found that thread. now go read that thread please.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST