E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Auto Glass



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Auto Glass

Has anyone had a screen replaced by Auto Glass and, if so, were you pleased with the work?
My insurer (LV) stipulates Auto Glass for full payout less excess. Of course, I can use BMW, but LV will only pay £100 and with my replacement cost of £1170 I don't really have any other sensible option.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
17
Rep
1,246
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

iTrader: (0)

Autoglass "attempted" to repair a 1cm ish chip on my windscreen, but it didn't work. He did say that it might not work cause its near the edge and the size, but I gave it a shot anyway. Paid a tiny bit and my insurance paid the rest for the attempted repair.

I can opt for a replacement screen for £70 excess?

Bit more info on my original thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711355
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
SteveC
Captain
United Kingdom
14
Rep
888
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North East

iTrader: (1)

Like any service

Satisfaction depends more on the skill of the technician delivering the service than on the company who does the admin and receives the cash.

I had a screen replaced by Autoglass. The technician came to my home and performed the replacement in my garage. Now I'm pretty anal, but he was in another league. He protected everything inside and out (even put a clean soft cloth underneath the more robust bonnet protection, did a perfect job of preparation, went over the job minutely at the end checking for defects. It was quite a complicated prcedure and I stood looking over his shoulder the whole time (he didn't mind at all)....he'd been fitting screens for 20 years and it showed.

I gave him a good tip at the end since he did such a nice job looking after my car. He had a nice car of his own so appreciated my concern.

So perfectly satisfied, because they sent me a highly experienced technician who took pride in what he was doing
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
IanS100
Colonel
IanS100's Avatar
United Kingdom
32
Rep
2,650
Posts

 
Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southport UK

iTrader: (0)

The main complaint is usually the use of none BMW glass & the effect it's had on the light sensor for auto wipers etc, although BMW don't make their own glass & it's probably all made by the same company.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
The main complaint is usually the use of none BMW glass & the effect it's had on the light sensor for auto wipers etc, although BMW don't make their own glass & it's probably all made by the same company.
My original screen is Pilkington and I think AG use the same; only difference is that there's no BMW roundel.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
6,105
Posts

 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I've used AG twice,once when the screen had to be replaced due to a crack,and then two weeks later,when a stone put a chip in the screen.

I was well fecked off!

Both times the Guys were very professional,courteous and very competent in what they did/do.

The replacement screen didn't have any BMW markings,and the auto wipers worked as before, all in all, a good experience.
__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Glassman
Specialist
Glassman's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: a van
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North London / Herts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
but LV will only pay £100
This is utter rubbish coming from them and puts them on very thin ice for doing so.

They will pay more than £100 and have done so without question. There are a couple of suggestions why they have restricted you to one supplier, but the reality is, you are not.

Choose your own supplier. You can either pay it and subsequently reclaim the cost (less your excess) or your supplier can invoice them directly (or via a Supplier Invoice Control Program which is a sister company to the same company they want you to go to in the first place).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
46
Rep
3,723
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

£1170 for a windscreen. Gulp.

Is that on the new car already?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman View Post
This is utter rubbish coming from them and puts them on very thin ice for doing so.

They will pay more than £100 and have done so without question. There are a couple of suggestions why they have restricted you to one supplier, but the reality is, you are not.

Choose your own supplier. You can either pay it and subsequently reclaim the cost (less your excess) or your supplier can invoice them directly (or via a Supplier Invoice Control Program which is a sister company to the same company they want you to go to in the first place).
I had several phone conversations with various people, including supervisors, at LV and followed up in writing, but I was repeatedly referred to the terms of my insurance, which clearly state that, if I want them to pay for it, I have to use Auto Glass - I don't think I have any choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
£1170 for a windscreen. Gulp.

Is that on the new car already?
It's the special glass required for the HUD that makes it so expensive.
Going into AG Aberdeen on Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #11
m@rk
Major
m@rk's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
1,053
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 520D SE
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lincolnshire (sometimes)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman View Post
This is utter rubbish coming from them and puts them on very thin ice for doing so.

They will pay more than £100 and have done so without question. There are a couple of suggestions why they have restricted you to one supplier, but the reality is, you are not.

Choose your own supplier. You can either pay it and subsequently reclaim the cost (less your excess) or your supplier can invoice them directly (or via a Supplier Invoice Control Program which is a sister company to the same company they want you to go to in the first place).
I have seen this with a few insurers now. They are clearly specifying this in large letters on the policy.

It clearly states that you MAY use somebody other than their approved supplier BUT they will only pay out a maximum of £100 (less the excess) which makes it all but worthless.

Having said that, the one time I needed a replacement and did go down the BMW route (because I wanted to be sure that the rain sensors etc would still work), I wished I had just gone to Autoglass.

Apart from my insurer (Zurich) taking months to pay out the £770 is cost, my car was never the same again with the auto lights coming on far to early and the rain sensing wipers coming on far too late. Even after many trips to the dealer and a FULL software reload on the car, it was never the same again

Next time I will be going down the insurers preferred route and if they break it then they can pick up the tab to fix it
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #12
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
9
Rep
572
Posts

 
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lincolnshire

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman View Post
This is utter rubbish coming from them and puts them on very thin ice for doing so.

They will pay more than £100 and have done so without question. There are a couple of suggestions why they have restricted you to one supplier, but the reality is, you are not.

Choose your own supplier. You can either pay it and subsequently reclaim the cost (less your excess) or your supplier can invoice them directly (or via a Supplier Invoice Control Program which is a sister company to the same company they want you to go to in the first place).
100% correct
__________________
Always a pallbearer never a corpse....
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNormal View Post
100% correct
That may well be the case, but the fact remains that the wording of the policy states that AG have to be used if I want LV to pay for it.
Other than resorting to legal advice, which would probably do nothing more that to reiterate that clause, I can't see any way out of it - if you have any practical suggestions I'd welcome your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #14
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
6,105
Posts

 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
That may well be the case, but the fact remains that the wording of the policy states that AG have to be used if I want LV to pay for it.
Other than resorting to legal advice, which would probably do nothing more that to reiterate that clause, I can't see any way out of it - if you have any practical suggestions I'd welcome your thoughts.

You could always post up the wording Jon,oh hang on

LV Policy - Section on:

Section 5 WINDSCREEN AND WINDOWS
If shown on your schedule, we’ll cover damage to the windscreen or window
glass and any resultant scratching of the bodywork. As long as there’s been no
other loss or damage, a claim under this section won’t affect your NCD.
If your windscreen or window glass is replaced, an excess may apply as shown
on your schedule.
If our approved window glass supplier isn’t used, there’ll be a maximum amount
we’ll pay, full details are shown on your schedule.

__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
You could always post up the wording Jon,oh hang on

LV Policy - Section on:

Section 5 WINDSCREEN AND WINDOWS
If shown on your schedule, we’ll cover damage to the windscreen or window
glass and any resultant scratching of the bodywork. As long as there’s been no
other loss or damage, a claim under this section won’t affect your NCD.
If your windscreen or window glass is replaced, an excess may apply as shown
on your schedule.
If our approved window glass supplier isn’t used, there’ll be a maximum amount
we’ll pay, full details are shown on your schedule.

Appreciate your input, but it's not me who's disputing this.
My original question concerned the quality of work at AG and, seeing as I haven't had any adverse comments, I'll take it in as scheduled tomorrow and stop worrying about it.
Cheers,
Jon
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #16
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
6,105
Posts

 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Appreciate your input, but it's not me who's disputing this.
That point hadn't passed me by!

My experience of AG was very positive
__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #17
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
9
Rep
572
Posts

 
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lincolnshire

iTrader: (3)

In my experience, both personal (trade policy) and with some of my customers, yes they have it in print, but if you call the insurer and get authority they will usually give you clearance to have a genuine screen

They print the above text on policy's to encourage you to use their recommended supplier as they a ridiculous pricing structure in place.
__________________
Always a pallbearer never a corpse....
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #18
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNormal View Post
In my experience, both personal (trade policy) and with some of my customers, yes they have it in print, but if you call the insurer and get authority they will usually give you clearance to have a genuine screen...
I can only reiterate what I said earlier in this thread:
"I had several phone conversations with various people, including supervisors, at LV and followed up in writing, but I was repeatedly referred to the terms of my insurance, which clearly state that, if I want them to pay for it, I have to use Auto Glass - I don't think I have any choice."
As I said to another poster offering similar advice - if you have any practical (as opposed to theoretical) suggestions, I'd welcome your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #19
zltm089
Major General
zltm089's Avatar
United Kingdom
90
Rep
7,421
Posts

 
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Satisfaction depends more on the skill of the technician delivering the service than on the company who does the admin and receives the cash.

I had a screen replaced by Autoglass. The technician came to my home and performed the replacement in my garage. Now I'm pretty anal, but he was in another league. He protected everything inside and out (even put a clean soft cloth underneath the more robust bonnet protection, did a perfect job of preparation, went over the job minutely at the end checking for defects. It was quite a complicated prcedure and I stood looking over his shoulder the whole time (he didn't mind at all)....he'd been fitting screens for 20 years and it showed.

I gave him a good tip at the end since he did such a nice job looking after my car. He had a nice car of his own so appreciated my concern.

So perfectly satisfied, because they sent me a highly experienced technician who took pride in what he was doing


wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....this is brilliant service!!!...hope you kept his details!!!
__________________

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #20
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
alzieboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
344
Posts

 
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norfolk moved from East London

iTrader: (1)

Different insurance Co I know, I'm with Admiral their recommended windscreen Co. is National Glass, spoke to Admiral prior to having the new windscreen fitted stating I wanted a genuine BMW windscreen, all they said was make sure to tell the glass people that is what you want and to check it before fitting it .They done a very good job replacing the screen, but I must confess I wasn't looking forward to having it done
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
m@rk
Major
m@rk's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
1,053
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 520D SE
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lincolnshire (sometimes)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzieboy View Post
Different insurance Co I know, I'm with Admiral their recommended windscreen Co. is National Glass, spoke to Admiral prior to having the new windscreen fitted stating I wanted a genuine BMW windscreen, all they said was make sure to tell the glass people that is what you want and to check it before fitting it .They done a very good job replacing the screen, but I must confess I wasn't looking forward to having it done
There's a difference though between getting AG to use genuine glass and getting a main dealer to ft it.

To be fair, if AG are going to fit it then as long as the glass system Pilkington on it, I int think I would care if it didn't have the BMW logo on it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Had the screen replaced by Auto Glass today and very pleased with the job.
HUD and auto-wipe working perfectly and, what's more, the speed limit display, which was erratic and unreliable is now just fine.
I'd have absolutely no hesitation about using AG again.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST