E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Are we overthinking it?!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
141
Rep
1,083
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92 328i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

Warning - rant coming up!

Are we enthusiasts overthinking cars? At least some of us?!

- Gorgeous 2014 C63 AMG with hardly any miles for a bit over 40K - I should just shut up and buy it, but here I am saying.. it's not the latest generation, its resale value will drop like a brick!

- Beautiful C400 for just under 40K, I test drive it and say.. the transmission could be better! It is beautiful in every other way, but I notice the one negative thing about it.

- Lovely Mustang GT, great deal on it too - but I notice the throttle lag on it!

- Amazing lightly used m235i, a good price on it, but all I can think of is the fact that the m240i will be out soon.

- The 340i is GREAT, but its "too mainstream" now.

- Jag XE drives awesome, but interior feels too cheap.

... and so on.

At some point.. I feel like I am overthinking it!! Just buy the car you like, enjoy it and stop thinking about other cars! Just yesterday I met a few old friends, one of them had bought a GLC300 (Merc SUV) for over 70K! I was like holy moley, 70k! I wouldn't pay so much for THAT car, if I had 70K in my budget there are so many other models I would buy instead.

But my friend is oblivious to all of that. He has no idea what a Macan is. He doesn't care, he likes THIS car and he bought it, he is having tons of fun with it. Now for a moment that makes me pause, who is the enthusiast here and who is having the most fun?!

So that makes me wonder if sometimes we (at least some of us) are overthinking it. I have another friend, he doesn't consider himself an enthusiast, he has a base 4-cylinder Accord. But he drives his car a LOT, goes on a ton of roadtrips and enjoys driving. He does have a lot of fun with his car.

Sometimes I wonder if we should take it down a notch, enjoy the moment, enjoy what we've got, stop thinking about the next toy, and drive more. Or if we're really in the market for a car, just buy the one that appeals to us on a base level, with its flaws and all, and stop searching for the "perfect" one.

Like I said, just a rant. Maybe this applies not just to cars but other things in life as well. Stop searching for perfection, appreciate the thing we have more, and just go after what we like.

I think I was a lot happier than I am now, when I first got my Mazda 3. Just saying.
__________________
Has a bad car addiction
Appreciate 6
      05-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
3396
Rep
19,959
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

There will always be something better tomorrow. But sometimes there will be no tomorrow! You gotta life Life TODAY and be happy... because not everyone will see a "tomorrow".
      05-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Zing
Private
Zing's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 in Silverstone
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northwest, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
There will always be something better tomorrow. But sometimes there will be no tomorrow! You gotta life Life TODAY and be happy... because not everyone will see a "tomorrow".
^This. SO much this!
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
TylerJohnson97
Private
TylerJohnson97's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lenoir, NC

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
cprx7
Lieutenant
cprx7's Avatar
73
Rep
430
Posts

Drives: 2011 X5 50i;
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
There will always be something better tomorrow. But sometimes there will be no tomorrow! You gotta life Life TODAY and be happy... because not everyone will see a "tomorrow".
This! this man for US president
__________________
Untitled by supralx570, on Flickr
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
66
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi 2006 325i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
There will always be something better tomorrow. But sometimes there will be no tomorrow! You gotta life Life TODAY and be happy... because not everyone will see a "tomorrow".
It's a travesty that we can only hit "appreciate" once per post.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #7
F80Dreamer
Private First Class
39
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: 2016 Ford Mustang GT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (0)

I understand the OP's post...sometimes I wish I could just find "the" car and drive it for a few years. I average a car every other year, it's ridiculous!
__________________
2017 F80 ZCP on order
2016 Ford Mustang GT
2011 E92 M3 -- sold
2011 E92 335is -- sold
2010 WRX -- sold
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 09:15 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
531
Rep
4,460
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (15)

If you aren't happy with what you have now, pick the best of the bunch today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow! If you are... then wait for the V8 Jag XE. Mmmmm.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 09:17 PM   #9
Dabozo
Lieutenant
Dabozo's Avatar
82
Rep
473
Posts

Drives: G37s
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The Six

iTrader: (0)

I got buddies who wouldn't dream of spending dough on a new car - even though they could easily afford too. They will buy a used car and drive it til the wheels fall off and they enjoy every moment with it. me on the other hand, always want the latest and greatest (that I can afford) which usually means something brand spanking new. I resent them somewhat because they remind me of how fiscally irresponsible I'm being but like Dakelone says, enjoy TODAY!
We are all wired differently.
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #10
sygazelle
Major
389
Rep
1,075
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Its nice that there are so many good choices. For me, I agonize over car purchasing decisions. But, its also part of the fun. Each time I try to explore outside the BMW brand I fail to make a move. This forum was a big help to me. Once I decided on an F30, then it was engine, packages, options, colors. It can drive a person crazy. The homework was worth it. 2 1/2 years now and still happy with the choices.

I'm sure you can have fun with each of the cars listed. However, if the transmission is not as good as the 8AT ZF I would think twice. The transmission is too important. The ZF is brilliant.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #11
Bbb34
Captain
Canada
150
Rep
624
Posts

Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Are we enthusiasts overthinking cars? At least some of us?!
Yes, we do, no doubt.

Most of us overestimate what we need as well, in terms of performance.

Though, as we get older, we learn there's no such thing as "perfect", understand better what really matters to us and what compromise we can live and be happy with. Applies for cars, homes, spouses....etc
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
G8rGrl
First Lieutenant
312
Rep
380
Posts

Drives: My Car
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Warning - rant coming up!

Are we enthusiasts overthinking cars? At least some of us?!

- Gorgeous 2014 C63 AMG with hardly any miles for a bit over 40K - I should just shut up and buy it, but here I am saying.. it's not the latest generation, its resale value will drop like a brick!

- Beautiful C400 for just under 40K, I test drive it and say.. the transmission could be better! It is beautiful in every other way, but I notice the one negative thing about it.

- Lovely Mustang GT, great deal on it too - but I notice the throttle lag on it!

- Amazing lightly used m235i, a good price on it, but all I can think of is the fact that the m240i will be out soon.

- The 340i is GREAT, but its "too mainstream" now.

- Jag XE drives awesome, but interior feels too cheap.

... and so on.

At some point.. I feel like I am overthinking it!! Just buy the car you like, enjoy it and stop thinking about other cars! Just yesterday I met a few old friends, one of them had bought a GLC300 (Merc SUV) for over 70K! I was like holy moley, 70k! I wouldn't pay so much for THAT car, if I had 70K in my budget there are so many other models I would buy instead.

But my friend is oblivious to all of that. He has no idea what a Macan is. He doesn't care, he likes THIS car and he bought it, he is having tons of fun with it. Now for a moment that makes me pause, who is the enthusiast here and who is having the most fun?!

So that makes me wonder if sometimes we (at least some of us) are overthinking it. I have another friend, he doesn't consider himself an enthusiast, he has a base 4-cylinder Accord. But he drives his car a LOT, goes on a ton of roadtrips and enjoys driving. He does have a lot of fun with his car.

Sometimes I wonder if we should take it down a notch, enjoy the moment, enjoy what we've got, stop thinking about the next toy, and drive more. Or if we're really in the market for a car, just buy the one that appeals to us on a base level, with its flaws and all, and stop searching for the "perfect" one.

Like I said, just a rant. Maybe this applies not just to cars but other things in life as well. Stop searching for perfection, appreciate the thing we have more, and just go after what we like.

I think I was a lot happier than I am now, when I first got my Mazda 3. Just saying.

Yes. You are overthinking it. I am overthinking it. We are overthinking it. I agree with this post. There has to be a way to "recalibrate" our thinking.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #13
DocWeatherington
Colonel
DocWeatherington's Avatar
United_States
647
Rep
2,176
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Warning - rant coming up!

Are we enthusiasts overthinking cars? At least some of us?!

- Gorgeous 2014 C63 AMG with hardly any miles for a bit over 40K - I should just shut up and buy it, but here I am saying.. it's not the latest generation, its resale value will drop like a brick!

- Beautiful C400 for just under 40K, I test drive it and say.. the transmission could be better! It is beautiful in every other way, but I notice the one negative thing about it.

- Lovely Mustang GT, great deal on it too - but I notice the throttle lag on it!

- Amazing lightly used m235i, a good price on it, but all I can think of is the fact that the m240i will be out soon.

- The 340i is GREAT, but its "too mainstream" now.

- Jag XE drives awesome, but interior feels too cheap.

... and so on.

At some point.. I feel like I am overthinking it!! Just buy the car you like, enjoy it and stop thinking about other cars! Just yesterday I met a few old friends, one of them had bought a GLC300 (Merc SUV) for over 70K! I was like holy moley, 70k! I wouldn't pay so much for THAT car, if I had 70K in my budget there are so many other models I would buy instead.

But my friend is oblivious to all of that. He has no idea what a Macan is. He doesn't care, he likes THIS car and he bought it, he is having tons of fun with it. Now for a moment that makes me pause, who is the enthusiast here and who is having the most fun?!

So that makes me wonder if sometimes we (at least some of us) are overthinking it. I have another friend, he doesn't consider himself an enthusiast, he has a base 4-cylinder Accord. But he drives his car a LOT, goes on a ton of roadtrips and enjoys driving. He does have a lot of fun with his car.

Sometimes I wonder if we should take it down a notch, enjoy the moment, enjoy what we've got, stop thinking about the next toy, and drive more. Or if we're really in the market for a car, just buy the one that appeals to us on a base level, with its flaws and all, and stop searching for the "perfect" one.

Like I said, just a rant. Maybe this applies not just to cars but other things in life as well. Stop searching for perfection, appreciate the thing we have more, and just go after what we like.

I think I was a lot happier than I am now, when I first got my Mazda 3. Just saying.
1st of all The Mazda 3 was a great car and still is a class benchmark..

Now what is better an exotic hot stripper or a hot stripper?

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 05-30-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 12:13 AM   #14
Blipit_
Major
146
Rep
1,495
Posts

Drives: M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

iTrader: (0)

I usually get a new car every 2-3 years, so whats the point of overthinking it. Go test drive some cars and make a decision. A couple years from now you will driving a different car anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 12:51 AM   #15
KevinGS
Private First Class
38
Rep
162
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

I don't overthink it, in regards to comparing myself to others. Some of my wealthy friends have driven R8s, Porsches, Range Rovers and AMG S classes (rotating through them every few years).

And two of my other wealthy friends live in modest upper middle class homes, and drive Toyota Camrys, Honda Accords and minivans. They could care less about flashy cars and ostentatious homes, but they vacation in Italy, Greece and Asia....and their kids graduated from elite private schools.

Different strokes for different folks...

So I never overthink it, as I'm given many different examples of how to live. And I follow none of them, because I live for me....though I'm happy for them (and they're happy for me).
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 03:02 AM   #16
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
141
Rep
1,083
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92 328i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I don't overthink it, in regards to comparing myself to others. Some of my wealthy friends have driven R8s, Porsches, Range Rovers and AMG S classes (rotating through them every few years).

And two of my other wealthy friends live in modest upper middle class homes, and drive Toyota Camrys, Honda Accords and minivans. They could care less about flashy cars and ostentatious homes, but they vacation in Italy, Greece and Asia....and their kids graduated from elite private schools.

Different strokes for different folks...

So I never overthink it, as I'm given many different examples of how to live. And I follow none of them, because I live for me....though I'm happy for them (and they're happy for me).
Lol I don't mean overthinking in comparison to what others have, I never do that. I mean overthinking in terms of:
- This car is great but its transmission could be better
- This car is great but why does it lag for a second when you floor it?
- The weight on this car..
... and so on.

We enthusiasts tend to notice the negative parts so minutely, whereas the others just pick a car they like and enjoy it. So in a sense, I feel like our attention to all the aspects of the driving experience is a curse and a blessing. While it lets us appreciate the fine details of a good machine (like an M), it also takes away from the experience when we drive lesser cars.
__________________
Has a bad car addiction
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 03:41 AM   #17
eluded
2JZ-GTE
eluded's Avatar
Bulgaria
225
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: 340 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer
This car is great but why does it lag for a second when you floor it?
Wheelspin
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 05:53 AM   #18
Pinewood
Second Lieutenant
Pinewood's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
276
Posts

Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Buckinghamshire

iTrader: (0)

Totally identify with the OP. sold my E60 (530d) in August of last year, and borrowed the other family cars where needed. used public transport the rest of the time.
I became obsessed with looking at every write up, video, review on mid size SUV's. it got to the point where my wife and kids would walk away, as i never spoke about anything else. wifey would often say "STOP overanalyzing it!!!".

Having said that - the F25 with it's options has been a great success for the family.We found the right one in January 2016. Everyone loves it, and we enjoy the SUV more than any other car we have owned. That speaks volumes about my choice and options.

If your lucky enough to change your car every year or two - then yes - buy whatever takes your fancy. If however you plan to keep a car a long time (7-10 years in my case), then it's only natural to pour over every detail and make sure it's the right car for your needs/wallet/enjoyment.
__________________
2014 X3 30d Lci M Sport in Metallic Black. Pro Nav, Black Leather,Adaptive Xenons, Extended Storage, Lighting Package, 19" Staggered (622M).

Last edited by Pinewood; 05-31-2016 at 05:54 AM. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #19
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
764
Rep
3,218
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Stop trying to keep up with the Joneses or having the latest and greatest.

Why do people need to upgrade their car every 2 years?

Buy a car you like, and keep it! Hopefully can drive my 1er for at least 10 years. Keep a car that long and who gives a crap about depreciation.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #20
OrangeZ06
Satan's Chariot
OrangeZ06's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
1,012
Posts

Drives: C6Z, Speed6 & Z28
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
There will always be something better tomorrow. But sometimes there will be no tomorrow! You gotta life Life TODAY and be happy... because not everyone will see a "tomorrow".
:t humsup:
__________________
2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT
2007 Corvette Z06
2000 Camaro Z28 Convertible
2007 335xi - 12.9 @ 109 MPH SOLD!
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 2| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
2427
Rep
16,464
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Shock therapy for everyone
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #22
atxgt3
Private
50
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 11 AW E92
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Stop trying to keep up with the Joneses or having the latest and greatest.

Why do people need to upgrade their car every 2 years?

Buy a car you like, and keep it! Hopefully can drive my 1er for at least 10 years. Keep a car that long and who gives a crap about depreciation.
It doesn't always have to do with keeping up with anyone else, I think a lot of us just have a short attention span and want something different. So you may like it.. for a year. Then get the itch for something else.
Appreciate 1
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST