E90Post

200MPH

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine getting wet!!!

10-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
oma3710
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Sedan

Exclamation Engine getting wet!!!

Recently I bought a carbon8 m3 carbon fiber hood. The hood has two vents and Im worried about engine getting wet when it rains. What do you guys recommend? Should I be worried?
      10-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
CHECKERED
Racing is Life, everything else is just waiting.

Drives: 335i E92, 05 Audi S4

Garage List
2005 Audi S4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have a vented hood on my audi,
Recommendation: don’t park in the rain.
Should you be worried? Not in particular, engine bays these days are fairly water proof
Daily Driver: E92 335i N54: JB4 G5 ISO27.13 w/BMS Flash, quaife LSD, BMS Meth, AA sport IC, BMS Charge Pipe, BMS OCC, Euro Light Switch, M-Sport Kit; 12.1@117mph (100 octane, stock intake stock exhaust, 225ís RFT)
CHECKERED is offline   United_States
      10-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
JYohay
Banned

Drives: 2011 X5

i have the carbon8 vented hood (not the m3 version, the one with the 2 multi vents and the one big center vent) cars in the rain all the time and never have a problem.
the vents dont go near the intake which would be the only problem.
and when the car is in motion they cannot get into the vents.
the only think is the engine will steam (it is just hot water touching hot parts....its not smoke...its just steam).
only really notice that at the car wash though.
      10-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
skinrock
Agent Smith

Drives: 2013 Fusion AWD

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.45]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYohay View Post
i have the carbon8 vented hood (not the m3 version, the one with the 2 multi vents and the one big center vent) cars in the rain all the time and never have a problem.
the vents dont go near the intake which would be the only problem.
and when the car is in motion they cannot get into the vents.
the only think is the engine will steam (it is just hot water touching hot parts....its not smoke...its just steam).
only really notice that at the car wash though.
The M3 style vents sit right over the intake and close to the ECU area. One of the reasons I removed mine (never rained, but I couldn't wash the car without taping them up).
      10-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
cmyk
resident girl.

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.38]
I have the m3 style hood with the vents over the intake. Have not had any issues driving/parking in the rain. During heavy rain storms I have covered the vents with a plastic drop cloth if the car has to sit outside but that's really just for peace of mind/me being paranoid.

Water does get into those vents but for me, it has only meant having to clean the engine bay a bit more frequently due to dust and crap in the air. Right after I had the hood installed it rained hard for 4-5 days straight. Car was driven and parked for long periods of time in heavy storms and no issues whatsoever.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Black M6 wheels + Toyo Proxes
(and yes, I am a girl)
cmyk is offline   United_States
      10-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
oma3710
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
I have the m3 style hood with the vents over the intake. Have not had any issues driving/parking in the rain. During heavy rain storms I have covered the vents with a plastic drop cloth if the car has to sit outside but that's really just for peace of mind/me being paranoid.

Water does get into those vents but for me, it has only meant having to clean the engine bay a bit more frequently due to dust and crap in the air. Right after I had the hood installed it rained hard for 4-5 days straight. Car was driven and parked for long periods of time in heavy storms and no issues whatsoever.
THanks!!!

I park my car in my garage. During the day its parked outside from 8-5. So I should be good.
      10-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
cmyk
resident girl.

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oma3710 View Post
THanks!!!

I park my car in my garage. During the day its parked outside from 8-5. So I should be good.
Yep. I keep a small drop cloth in my trunk just in case of a sudden severe storm where I am stuck parked outdoors (I have only used it twice, when I remembered to actually put it on). I also hand-wash the car, although I have always done that. I personally would not want to take the car through a drive-through brushless wash where water is spraying directly onto those vents.

I have a DCI as well, which SHOULD make things more tricky, but I have not experienced any issues at all and just follow the rules of common sense. It looks to me like only a tiny portion of that driver side vent is over the intakes. Most of it opens up onto the cowl/filter cover, which is solid sealed plastic. I imagine it hits that and runs off into those little rain vents/leaf catchers next to the ECU cover etc.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Black M6 wheels + Toyo Proxes
(and yes, I am a girl)
cmyk is offline   United_States