E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New owner checking in with a bunch of questions, yes I searched.

10-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
CHECKERED
Racing is life, everything else is just waiting.

Drives: 335i E92, 05 Audi S4

Garage List
2005 Audi S4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Arrow New owner checking in with a bunch of questions, yes I searched.

1. Why do most people run oem spark plugs, if we are running more boost arent we better off running one step colder plugs?

2. What is the general consensus when it comes to running oil additives (ie lucas oil stabilizer)

3.a Downpipes, the E92 is my daily driver and Im trying to keep it as quiet as I can while still increasing the efficiency of the motor, does anyone have experience with running de-cated oem downpipes or cat-less aftermarket DP, with stock exhaust? After looking up a bunch of youtube videos it seems like the car is much louder.

3.b On the same topic, why are de-catted oem downpipes not a popular option? In the audi world, de-catting the oem downpipes (known as piggy pipes) is one of the best bang for the buck mods and stealthy install.

4. Is it worth my time to use header wrap on DPs and piping that brings the compressed air to the intercooler? (the technical name escapes me at the moment)

This is my preventive maintenance list to both get better mpg and more power: (car has 33K miles on it) feedback is always appreciated.
Run concentrated techron 20 gallon treatment, remove intake manifold inspect/clean any carbon build up on valves, install oil catch can, clean VANOS Solenoids, new spark plugs , oem air filter for now, oil change using Gunk system flush then fill with Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40.

My upgrade path is as follows; again please chime in with feedback.
JB4->oil catch can->aftermarket oil cooler (car came without an oem oil cooler )->catless downpipes->AFE stage 2 intake with ram air scoops-> IC-> LSD

The car will never see a catback exhaust or BOVs
      10-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

1. There aren't many alternatives and the stock ones have been working fine. Only alternative is NGK 5992, but results are not conclusive.

3b. I don't know if that would be cost effective compared to other 2.5" options. Most people want 3" DPs so they buy aftermarket.

4. A lot of people get their DPs ceramic coated (me included). Results may be negligible though.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
      10-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
nailer335
Captain

Drives: alpine '08 e92 335xi

Try using the NGK plugs and report on it, I'd be interested to see what comes of that.
nailer335 is offline   United_States
      10-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Ngk are fine but no need for low power.
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
      10-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
CHECKERED

Garage List
2005 Audi S4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
3b. I don't know if that would be cost effective compared to other 2.5" options. Most people want 3" DPs so they buy aftermarket.
The 3 DPs makes sense, but when one is $1000 and the other is basically free.
Someone needs to do a dyno shootout with the same car same dyno same day and see the difference between: stock -> De-cated stock-> aftermarket 2.5-> aftermarket 3
I bet there will be no difference between de-cated oem and aftermarket 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335 View Post
Try using the NGK plugs and report on it, I'd be interested to see what comes of that.
For performance oriented applications copper is the way to go because there are no alternatives other than iridium, oe it is.
For example the S4 comes with platinum from the factory but for my boosted application I am running colder Bosch Tri-Electrode Copper Plugs (F6DTC) very similar to the 335i plugs.
Every reputable engine builder for N/A and boosted dump the oe plugs (platinum iridium) and switch over to copper
      10-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
MAC335i
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Jet Black E90 335i

1. Stock plugs are fine for full bolt-ons and meth running 17-18 psi.

2. I haven't read much about this on the forums.

3. E92 w/ downpipes and stock exhaust will be louder than e90 with the same because you guys have the x-pipe, I believe. I did e90 w/ catless downpipes and stock exhaust and it was not loud enough for me.

3b. You should be able to find a used pair of 3in downpipes for around 650. This is the bolt-on that yield the most gains. FMIC makes the car much more consistent.

4. Not worth it. Specially if your goal is "bang for your buck".

Now the real reason I wanted to respond to your post: Bring your supercharged S4 to Supercar Sunday!! lol
      10-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
mithiral67
That guy

Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

1. Cause it hasnt been needed.
2. No clue
3. My 335is is louder than my 08 e92 with AR DPs
3. I didnt cause its easier to go back to stock when i trade it in. DPs are pretty cheap for the performance gain and retain resale value as they are just 2.5 foot pipes.
4. I had mine coated, but who knows. Lots of opinions, but no ones noted anything horrible happening without them.

Pay for a walnut blast on the intake, get an AFE drop in filter over eom, would change plugs if over 15k miles, otherwise should be good. I would do IC before oil cooler unless you track the car.
2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
      10-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
CHECKERED

Garage List
2005 Audi S4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankakez & BMWs View Post
Now the real reason I wanted to respond to your post: Bring your supercharged S4 to Supercar Sunday!! lol
my house is 3 miles away, I almost always go the the last sunday marque (now switched to first sunday), so i will be there this coming sunday.

pic of audi (LIKEaBOSS)

10-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
CHECKERED

Garage List
2005 Audi S4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
1. Cause it hasnt been needed.
2. No clue
3. My 335is is louder than my 08 e92 with AR DPs
3. I didnt cause its easier to go back to stock when i trade it in. DPs are pretty cheap for the performance gain and retain resale value as they are just 2.5 foot pipes.
4. I had mine coated, but who knows. Lots of opinions, but no ones noted anything horrible happening without them.

Pay for a walnut blast on the intake, get an AFE drop in filter over eom, would change plugs if over 15k miles, otherwise should be good. I would do IC before oil cooler unless you track the car.
Thanks for the feedback,

Oe spark plugs it is then, I’ll have to research about oil additive on oil lubricated turbos, I think I’ll first buy used oem downpipes, de-cat them and try them on to see what sound level I get, if too high I go back to stock.
As far as walnut blasting, I’ll first try to clean the valves myself, I have seen horror stories in the audi world with the RS4 direct injected motor where manual cleaning is simply not possible.

Those with a heart condition please look away

Spark plugs have 32k miles on them so they have to go, the other day I just vacuumed the air filter and it still looks ok, I don’t want to spend $80 and then 6 months from now spend another $800 to get the stage 2 air box with ram air scoops. Car came without a factory oil cooler, conservative tuners require an oil cooler with their tune, so I want to be on the safe side as the car will see some canyons runs in SoCal weather (+100F)
      10-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
The 3 DPs makes sense, but when one is $1000 and the other is basically free.
Someone needs to do a dyno shootout with the same car same dyno same day and see the difference between: stock -> De-cated stock-> aftermarket 2.5-> aftermarket 3
I bet there will be no difference between de-cated oem and aftermarket 2.5

For performance oriented applications copper is the way to go because there are no alternatives other than iridium, oe it is.
For example the S4 comes with platinum from the factory but for my boosted application I am running colder Bosch Tri-Electrode Copper Plugs (F6DTC) very similar to the 335i plugs.
Every reputable engine builder for N/A and boosted dump the oe plugs (platinum iridium) and switch over to copper
Mr 5 did 2 dynos on the same day going from 2.5" to 3" DP and saw something like 15whp gain. I can't remember the exact figure, search and you can find it. Whether that translates to real world hp, I can't verify.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
      10-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [3.83]
Send a message via Skype™ to VNeBLOB42
Quote:
As far as walnut blasting, Ill first try to clean the valves myself, I have seen horror stories in the audi world with the RS4 direct injected motor where manual cleaning is simply not possible.

there are some good deals out there for Walnut shell blasting. if you enjoy it have at it. I got mine for $300 on a special here in Elk Grove Ca. now its $425, still not bad considering the labor and tools involved.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1506

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
VNeBLOB42 is offline   United_States
      10-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Zebra99
Colonel

Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Not in any particular order....

The 2.5 stock DP's don't run 2.5 all the way through as they taper down in many sections and are just plain hideous. Gutted or not they are restrictive.

If you want bang for your buck VRSF makes nice 3" DP's for under $400. Well worth your 20whp/trq+ gains!!

NGK plugs haven't been proven yet on this platform. Unless your planning on really climbing up the boost I don't see the need for colder plugs as the OEM's do a great job. Maybe you can gap them differently; whatever suits your tuning needs.

JB4 is also a good bang for your buck tuning wise. For about $500 you get everything you need. You can get me used for less. Map 5 and your good to go run 16psi all day on good octane.

Valve cleaning is awesome! Works wonders to expel any misfiring or rough idling issues. You'll see 2-3mpg more too.

OCC very important on these cars. Choosing the right one is a whole different issues.

Intake - I prefer a CAI. But if your planning on spraying meth a drop in filter or DCI will suffice.

FMIC helps lower IAT's and makes the car more consistent. You'll pick up some top end too.

Did I miss anything?....
Zebra99 is offline   Canada
      10-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
gtaccord
Major

Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Save yourself a lot of time and back/finger/arm ache and get a shop to do the valve cleaning for you. I did a diy and, while I got the job done, I would never want to do it again.
gtaccord is offline   United_States
      10-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
Wedge1967
Banned

Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Buy COBB and leave it stock until your warranty is up.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
      11-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
CHECKERED

Garage List
2005 Audi S4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
If you want bang for your buck VRSF makes nice 3" DP's for under $400. Well worth your 20whp/trq+ gains!!
thanks for the Tip they are listed for $319 on their website. Now time to read reviews and listen to videos
Quote:
JB4 is also a good bang for your buck tuning wise. For about $500 you get everything you need. You can get me used for less. Map 5 and your good to go run 16psi all day on good octane.
already have JB4, thanks
Quote:
Valve cleaning is awesome! Works wonders to expel any misfiring or rough idling issues. You'll see 2-3mpg more too.
OCC very important on these cars. Choosing the right one is a whole different issues.
will do the cleaning probably 1 month from now, will probably get a BMS OOC
Thanks again for the input
      11-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
carogers86
Private First Class

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42
Quote:
As far as walnut blasting, Ill first try to clean the valves myself, I have seen horror stories in the audi world with the RS4 direct injected motor where manual cleaning is simply not possible.

there are some good deals out there for Walnut shell blasting. if you enjoy it have at it. I got mine for $300 on a special here in Elk Grove Ca. now its $425, still not bad considering the labor and tools involved.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1506
At Niello? Btw, I think I saw your business downtown Sac haha.
carogers86 is offline   United_States