E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Morel, Jehnert, SWS-8 and SSMB

11-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
taibanl
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afsar
Today I fired up the boot sub but result if not as good as expected. Overall sound is very boomy and a little bass rattles the whole parcel shelf like a toy

Plan was to install Jehnert replacing SWS-8 but couldn't do much it was so windy outside.

Not sure how do you guys do it? MS-8 set at 20Hz subsonic, 80Hz lowpass for the boot enclosure, all L7 speakers + underseats as sws-8 so front setup as 2 way with 150hz crossover point in MS-8 all round. Sounds too boomy, anything under 40-30Hz a little of extra volume and parcel shelf rattles like anything.

My setup at the moment
You mist do kaigoss mod
      11-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #24
kaigoss69
Colonel

Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
did you go for corner enclosure?
which sub in the boot?
JL 12W6v2 mounted in the custom enclosure in the boot corner (just above the battery trim)
How big is the enclosure?
      11-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
afsar
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
How big is the enclosure?
25L volume

Retrofits M5 heated/lumbar/memory and active backrest adjustment seats, rear heated and folding g seats, SAT Shifter, paddles (SA2TB), HUD, Rear blinds, Electric steering column, SA430 Folding and EC Mirrors, High Beam Assist, CIC, COMBOX Telematics, DVB-T TV, JBL MS-8, JL HD900/5 + HD600/4, Morel HO II, Morel Integra XO, JL 12W6v2 and Jehnert in Audio.
afsar is offline   United Kingdom
      11-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
afsar
First Lieutenant

Is this sws-8 with rear box causing all the trouble, both are bass oriented.
Retrofits M5 heated/lumbar/memory and active backrest adjustment seats, rear heated and folding g seats, SAT Shifter, paddles (SA2TB), HUD, Rear blinds, Electric steering column, SA430 Folding and EC Mirrors, High Beam Assist, CIC, COMBOX Telematics, DVB-T TV, JBL MS-8, JL HD900/5 + HD600/4, Morel HO II, Morel Integra XO, JL 12W6v2 and Jehnert in Audio.
      11-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
kaigoss69
Colonel

Do the kaigoss mod first. Then use EQ to smooth out the response. I'm guessing your sub has a huge peak in the 70-80Hz range. If you want to use you iPhone you need to use an app that is accurate in that range. Of the ones I tried only SPLnFFT is works, but only down to 60Hz.
      11-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #28
makkan00
Major General

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsar View Post
Is this sws-8 with rear box causing all the trouble, both are bass oriented.
Is this first time you integrated MS-8 into your sound system?

Also during calibration, where was your sub?
was that in the boot or in the cabin?

SWS-8 plays bass upto 100Hz and max upto 120Hz.
There will be gap b.w 100-150Hz in your 2 way front setup and should rectify once Jenherts are installed.
      11-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #29
afsar
First Lieutenant

I am running MS 8 since a few months now. Trying to add few extra components, like additional amp and boot sub etc. Plan is to add Jehnert and morel in coming weeks if weather is helpful but this rattle has really shaken my dream of beautifully done custom enclosure.

Even with sws 8 alone (before I introduced boot sub) on high volume low Hz I could hear rattle towards the rear which I always thought is due to my kids car seat but this sub is making it very clear that rattle is from the parcel shelf.

Also worth mentioning that during auotunes I could hear sweeps from the sub which were slightly louder then rest of the driver despite PDX 5 gain turned to minimum.

Excuse my ignorance kaigoss but what is kaigoss mod and where can I get some details over it. A quick Google only gave vague idea, couldn't reach original post. This could be due to me doing it from a tablet.
      11-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #30
makkan00
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsar View Post
I am running MS 8 since a few months now. Trying to add few extra components, like additional amp and boot sub etc. Plan is to add Jehnert and morel in coming weeks if weather is helpful but this rattle has really shaken my dream of beautifully done custom enclosure.

Even with sws 8 alone (before I introduced boot sub) on high volume low Hz I could hear rattle towards the rear which I always thought is due to my kids car seat but this sub is making it very clear that rattle is from the parcel shelf.

Also worth mentioning that during auotunes I could hear sweeps from the sub which were slightly louder then rest of the driver despite PDX 5 gain turned to minimum.

Excuse my ignorance kaigoss but what is kaigoss mod and where can I get some details over it. A quick Google only gave vague idea, couldn't reach original post. This could be due to me doing it from a tablet.
Have you tried to locate the source of rattle?
It is very easy. Open your boot, turn up the volume so that you can hear the rattle and then go and observe to locate the source of rattle.

I am not familiar with 5 series boot, so cannot give you idea.

Kaigoss mod:
On midbass amp set LP filter and add 20- 50hz above cross point
So it would be 150 (your cross point) +50= 200Hz LP filter on the amp for SWS-8.

After setting this, recalibrate the MS-8.

It helps to improve mid bass.

In your case, you are complaining of boomy sound. Kaigoss, would your mod also helps to tackle boomy sound?
      11-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
taibanl
Brigadier General

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Thats the kaigoss II mod, the original kaigoss mod is ti calibrate without sub attached. Fixes boomy bass
      11-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #32
afsar
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Thats the kaigoss II mod, the original kaigoss mod is ti calibrate without sub attached. Fixes boomy bass
Won't auto-tune without sub being connected complain about missing speaker?
      11-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #33
kaigoss69
Colonel

Quote:
Quote:
What you do is you set it up as front 2-way WITHOUT sub, and set the midbass HP/subsonic at 20hz. On amp all crossovers off. Then after calibration you use the amps to split the signal between the midbass and sub.
      11-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #34
taibanl
Brigadier General

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69
Quote:
Quote:
What you do is you set it up as front 2-way WITHOUT sub, and set the midbass HP/subsonic at 20hz. On amp all crossovers off. Then after calibration you use the amps to split the signal between the midbass and sub.
How does it feel to be infamous?!
      11-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #35
afsar
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Ahh... So this is traditional way of doing it. What is the point of MS-8 claiming to do all sort of fancy sound processing then? No way MS-8 can make it sound good MS-8 way?

What should be kept as crossover (with SWS-8 and with Jehnert XE200) and with what slope? I need new RCA splitters now?
      11-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #36
makkan00
Major General

Quote:
Kaigoss,
I have few questions.
During setting up MS-8, do you skip the calibration (without MS-8 CD) or do you use MS-8 CD?

Those cars with parking sensors, what is the best way to calibrate MS-8?
(I think afsar has parking sensors).

And as afsar suggested, if you do not register sub in MS-8, how do you get output for sub on later stage?
      11-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #37
taibanl
Brigadier General

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

And as afsar suggested, if you do not register sub in MS-8, how do you get output for sub on later stage?
The MS-8 "Front Low" signal is shared between Sub and Midbass. Use the Amp's crossovers.
      11-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #38
makkan00
Major General

Quote:
The MS-8 "Front Low" signal is shared between Sub and Midbass. Use the Amp's crossovers.

Aaaah that explains it then. Thanks taibanl
      11-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #39
afsar
First Lieutenant

A quick update, using HU turning down bass has improved sound a lot. Rear rattle on high low hz high volume still remains but I am sure I will sort it out soon, I am keeping volume low to workaround it.

Today is a pathetic day, it has been raining all day and I have puddle of water above mud where I normally work

I am so obliged to you gurus who has helped me all along, much appreciated guys.