E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Traction problem Help needed

09-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
russco
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i autovogue

Traction problem Help needed

Evening all I have a 320i and lately whilst driving the traction control is constantly kicking in and out. I can be driving in a straight line at a steady speed and it will just kick in. The is no warning lights other than the traction light flashing when it kicks in. And the only fault a scanner has found (only found it once) is DSC battery low.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
Chappers 71
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE

Garage List
What make of tyres do you have?
E34 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc '67 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
IISevv
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russco View Post
Evening all I have a 320i and lately whilst driving the traction control is constantly kicking in and out. I can be driving in a straight line at a steady speed and it will just kick in. The is no warning lights other than the traction light flashing when it kicks in. And the only fault a scanner has found (only found it once) is DSC battery low.
Maybe the sensors are shorting out or receiving an unstable current as a result of the battery and that change in power is making them think you're losing traction when you aren't? It's also possible your sensors themselves have just gone out
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
russco
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IISevv View Post
Maybe the sensors are shorting out or receiving an unstable current as a result of the battery and that change in power is making them think you're losing traction when you aren't? It's also possible your sensors themselves have just gone out
Surely if it was down to the sensors shorting then I would get a fault code pointing at the sensor. On the battery subject does the dsc have a separate battery somewhere??
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
IISevv
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russco View Post
Surely if it was down to the sensors shorting then I would get a fault code pointing at the sensor. On the battery subject does the dsc have a separate battery somewhere??
What I meant was they may be getting some kind of irregular current for a split second and tripping it, but not enough to cause a fault code. It could also just be you're hitting an uneven road surface and your tires are hopping enough to csuse the computer to think you're losing traction. On the battery note, I'm really not sure. But a good way to test if it's a sensor problem is to disable DSC completely and see if you can recreate the situation where it would flash traction control and see if you really are losing traction.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
Noquills
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Wild guess here. Do you have the same tires on all four corners? If you have different size tires side to side it may be picking up the difference in rotation speed as loss of traction. alternatively, if you have a large differential in air pressure the effect could be the same.

Last edited by Noquills; 09-23-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 04:24 AM   #7
russco
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noquills View Post
Wild guess here. Do you have the same tires on all four corners? If you have different size tires side to side it may be picking up the difference in rotation speed as loss of traction. alternatively, if you have a large differential in air pressure the effect could be the same.
Tyres and pressures are all the same
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 04:26 AM   #8
russco
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What I meant was they may be getting some kind of irregular current for a split second and tripping it, but not enough to cause a fault code. It could also just be you're hitting an uneven road surface and your tires are hopping enough to csuse the computer to think you're losing traction. On the battery note, I'm really not sure. But a good way to test if it's a sensor problem is to disable DSC completely and see if you can recreate the situation where it would flash traction control and see if you really are losing traction.
We are hoping to take it on a test run one day next week with a snap-on diagnostics running live data whilst on the drive to see if we can see what's happening when it kicks in. Was really bad yesterday to the extent I dropped from 60 down to 35 coz I couldn't find traction 🙈
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #9
juld0zer
Captain
Rep
Drives: E82 135i 7DCT

Not sure how many sensors it will display concurrently but I'd be monitoring these:
- All four wheel speeds
- Steering angle
- Yaw rate

What size tyres do you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #10
335e92tx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Was 07-335e92 - Now '13 335IS

Quote:

+1
DSC/ABS codes wont always show. I had to have the dealer specifically look for it.
Used to happen with me when going over RRx or sometimes thru intersections that had uneven pavement.

Apr 14 2017 - '13 335IS replaced the '07 E92
13IS mods BQ Tuned/MHD flashed - MFactory LSD - ATM IC - next KoniFSDs and M*arms.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
N52UNED
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330i-HOBPC

Quote:
+1

OP: how are your shocks? Do you have any signs of cupping on the rear tires? As IISevv mentioned your tires could be hopping enough to make the computer think you're losing traction. In this case it's not throwing a fault because it thinks it normal.

Perhaps check for shadow faults too.

Is this a road(s) you regularly drive?
Appreciate 1