E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Changing Tires and Wheels - Alignment Necessary?

01-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
mikeyoooooo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is MT

Changing Tires and Wheels - Alignment Necessary?

So I hit a huge pothole driving to Pennsylvania and bent 2 of wheels slightly and 2 of them are also cracked. I decided to get 4 new wheels (same exact wheels) and also replace the tires while I'm at it since the front tires are shot and the backs are getting there.

Is an alignment necessary? Also would it be best to take to BMW and have them do the alignment. I don't have any good shops near me on Long Island.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
djh2
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Wheels do not affect alignment, but given the severity of the potholes, it would be worth at least having the alignment checked.

Some places can check for free, like Sears auto center. But if end up you needing an alignment you might be better served at a place that handles BMW specifically.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
jt335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

If your vehicle goes as straight as an arrow on an evenly paved road, then you're wheels likely are properly aligned, but for preventive maintenance it's a good idea to have your alignment checked annually, if possible, or such as after you have your tires rotated for those with non-staggered wheels. Due to time and various road conditions (i.e. pot holes, uneven pavement, construction zones, speed bumps, etc., etc.) driven on on the current set of tires, the alignment will tend to offset and therefore need to be reset. So depending on the degree or severity of road conditions, and the frequency driven on it, the alignment may need to be done more frequently even if you do not get a new set of tires, hence the annual checks.
As for new tires, they say you should certainly have it done to ensure the alignment is back to the original, new straight out-of-the-factory, OEM specs and so they don't immediately start to wear unevenly. But, that’s up to you.

Had the alignment done on mine after the first and second tire replacements.

Places like Sear Auto, may not be the best places for an alignment as they don’t specialize in BMWs as what djh2 mentioned. Either you go to a BMW dealer or an indy shop that services BMWs.
Good luck to you.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster

Last edited by jt335i; 01-26-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I like BMW for alignments, you can find coupons. They seem to have a proprietary system and method. Just make sure they don't break your rear brake sensor wire when adjusting the toe.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
mikeyoooooo
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply guys.

So my 2 options are...

Tint World - $60 per wheel (road force balance) and $139 for alignment if needed

BMW Dealer - $47 per wheel (not sure if road force) and $219 for alignment if needed.

Not sure how reputable Tint World is for alignments but I'm thinking BMW would probably be the way to go? By the way I have the factory warranty on the car still. There's no shot that any of this will be covered is there?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #6
blackhawkk22
They don't want you to drive a 335i - DJ Khaled
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335i AT M-Sport

Costco will install and road force balance your wheels for $60 total. If you have a membership that is by far the best deal.

Install the tires, see if the car behaves poorly then get an alignment. No need to spend money on something that's not broken.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
mikeyoooooo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkk22 View Post
Costco will install and road force balance your wheels for $60 total. If you have a membership that is by far the best deal.

Install the tires, see if the car behaves poorly then get an alignment. No need to spend money on something that's not broken.
Hmmm I do have a membership to Costco. I'll have to look into this, I wonder if they'll swap over the tpms sensors.
Appreciate 0