E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Installing Auxilary Radiator from 1M and 335is aka bmw performance pack

10-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW

Installing Auxilary Radiator from 1M and 335is aka bmw performance pack

Was gonna buy the hoses, mount and auxilary radiator that comes in the bmw performance pack, 335is and 1M that sits on the driver side wheel well.
( same size and desgin as oil cooler on pass side)

I borrowed this pic from Mr.5.

My question is, i know its fully plug and play, but does anything have to change via electronic and dme calibrations?

In my mind, its just a increased in capacity of coolant, along with the coolant passing thru the radiator decreasing temps.

UPDATE:
If you havent read down the thread here is a quick overview for anyone wanting to do this.
The 1m, 335is, and all N54's for that matter run the same waterpump which is controlled by the DME, because it is a eletronic waterp pump. There is specific mapping for the pump for when it runs and at the % of flow it runs. ECO mode, performance mode, etc.
But the mapping for all N54's specific to the waterpump stays the same, Since at a given temp or WOT, all N54's run the pump at 100% flow.

So in short, this aux radiator is a direct OEM install with no DME/electronic changes to anything for all N54's!!!
Another nice option for everyone for more cooling!

Last edited by Bagelfast; 11-03-2012 at 10:07 AM.
      10-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel

Drives: AW 1M

Included in that package is an upgraded radiator fan. If you also get that, I believe you'd need the revised DME programming for it.

Niel
      10-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
JMARS
Not Baned

Drives: Single-T WTCC e90

How much does this setup cost?
JMARS is offline   Brazil
      10-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Included in that package is an upgraded radiator fan. If you also get that, I believe you'd need the revised DME programming for it.

Niel
thanks for the reply.. but only the parts pictures i am purchasing. Not the fan or anything else in the kit. ( the fan,which doesnt help much in cooling once moving)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARS View Post
How much does this setup cost?
Under 1K i saw them selling for 400.. not exactly sure.
      10-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Fully_Bolted
Banned

Drives: E92 335i

OP, do you have a list of the part numbers by any chance
      10-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel

-Radiator (17117602241)
-New hose to the pump (that Ts off to the additional radiator) (17127602294)
-New hose from the heater core to the main radiator (that Ts off to the additional radiator) (64219222129)
-Bracket for radiator (51647154545)
-Mounting hardware : below would be the mountain hardware along with the bracket p/n provided above
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=17&fg=05&hl=1
Would also need the air scoop ducting specifically for your car, and the back vent that goes on the inner fender lining.

Back on topic anyone know, if anyhting is needed specific to the DME changes for this? like increasing water pump speed or power?
      10-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Fully_Bolted
Banned

Thanks!

In ref to the DME I would say its not necessary but would certainly help with cooling. Most of the DME changes would be to take full advantage IF you installed the upgraded IS/1M radiator fan.
      10-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
shortseller
Captain

Drives: 2010 E92 335i

I thought it was oil not water tempts that were problematic regarding the N54.

I could never understand this mod offering from BMW.

Has radiator overheating been an issue?
shortseller is online now   United_States
      10-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted View Post
Thanks!

In ref to the DME I would say its not necessary but would certainly help with cooling. Most of the DME changes would be to take full advantage IF you installed the upgraded IS/1M radiator fan.
Np, yea i was thinking the same, that the only adjustment is for the fan not for the auxilary water cooler radiator.
The only thing i can see getting re-programmed is the water pump and speed.
Makes sense, only so much fluid can go into the pump at once, doesnt matter if its faster or reprogrammed, the amount of coolant is just getting cooled more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
I thought it was oil not water tempts that were problematic regarding the N54.

I could never understand this mod offering from BMW.

Has radiator overheating been an issue?
Without taking this too off topic, since the 1m, 335is, and PPK offer it, and its oem it cant hurt. Plus the AT cooler is cooled by the riadtor in some way, so helping keep water temps and AT tranny temps down more is always a win/win.
      10-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
shortseller
Captain

Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LUMI View Post
Without taking this too off topic, since the 1m, 335is, and PPK offer it, and its oem it cant hurt. Plus the AT cooler is cooled by the riadtor in some way, so helping keep water temps and AT tranny temps down more is always a win/win.
I agree... bring all tempts down is a good thing and well worth the money if your interested in engine longevity.
shortseller is online now   United_States
      10-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
longliven54
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

water heat exchange is more efficient than air heat exchange. keeps better check on your oil temps just like adding water wetter makes you run a lil cooler

on a side note: i personally believe that DME prog should be done. our motor is pretty specific of what water temps should be at and you dont want to OVER COOL the system. everyone is welcome to correct me if i am wrong.
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
longliven54 is offline   Canada
      10-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
ajm8127
Private

Drives: '07 335i

I don't think programming is necessary. The system is closed loop, that is it uses the current load on the engine and the water temp coming out of the head and out of the radiator to determine how fast the pump should run. So if you add more cooling capacity through an extra radiator, the system will adjust. Just like closed loop a/f control.

If the cooling system ran open loop, then reprogramming would definitely be necessary.
      10-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
longliven54
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

makes sense with the closed loop system
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
longliven54 is offline   Canada
      10-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel

Would love if someone out there knows if the bmw performance power package, or 1m 335is has DME changes that effect the coolant pump modes or if any changes are made for the coolant pump, as this is the only controlled part of the coolant system via the DME.

As you can see, the DME has 4 different mode for the pump while driving, my question, is are these set targets of temperatures changed with the bmw performance package?

Either way, the extra coolant radiator will aid 100% in more cooling and hitting these targets faster and consistently.

11-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #15
SpdKlzU

Drives: 2007 335i

Awesome thread! This is something I'd be very interested in doing. I have average coolant temps in the 240-range on a warm day while cruising - I need to do more logging while driving in the hills. I do have trouble imagining doing any track time with temps like these though.
      11-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #16
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
PM a user BURQ.....he owns a 335is and knows a lot about them. He'll set you straight

G5 ISO|BMS Flash|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
bigdaddycane is offline   United_States
      11-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
Autobahn335i
Lieutenant Colonel

Hi,

I have installed this radiator in my car. There is no need to update the DME.

Coolant temps will indeed be a little bit lower but when tracking the car in hot summer temps on a road course, it won't be sufficient to prevent heat induced limp modes on 6AT cars. I have first hand experience with this

This radiator is an ok upgrade which will overall help a bit with engine cooling. It also helps to bring temps back down faster on a cool-down lap. It's just not enough for hard tracking.

A dedicated tranny cooler is what 6AT cars need as that will prevent the transmission oil from heating up the coolant further through the heat exchanger in the stock radiator.

Here's a pic from two weeks ago. You can see I deleted the fog lights to get more air to the cooler.

Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Íhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Powerflex Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Autobahn335i is offline   Luxembourg
      11-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Hi,

Coolant temps will indeed be a little bit lower but when tracking the car in hot summer temps on a road course, it won't be sufficient to prevent heat induced limp modes on 6AT cars. I have first hand experience with this

This radiator is an ok upgrade which will overall help a bit with engine cooling. It also helps to bring temps back down faster on a cool-down lap. It's just not enough for hard tracking.

A dedicated tranny cooler is what 6AT cars need as that will prevent the transmission oil from heating up the coolant further through the heat exchanger in the stock radiator.

Here's a pic from two weeks ago. You can see I deleted the fog lights to get more air to the cooler.

good info! will delete the foglights as well to get more air .
Next definetely a tranny cooler .
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
      11-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Hi,

Nice and good info... I know 100% the extra cooler can be installed without any dme modification, and it will still help in cooling, keep temps more low, faster cooling and more consistent cooling. So its a nice bolt on oem mod for the N54.

BUT just trying to see if anyone knows if aything in the DME changes per the water pump mapping.
Only thing that can change is the set targets for the water pump temps.
Ive searched amd only thing ive seen is the dme changes per the upgraded fan.
If the mapping targets change via the DME for the waterpump, only thing that would change is, the DME would target lower coolant temps during WOT.

Here are the target temps for the eletronic water pump on a regular N54.
So my question is, do the PPK,1m, 335is, dme for the waterpump target different temps.

Non the less, even if there is a change within the DMe mapping, this extra cooler, is worth it either way, doesnt really matter.
      11-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
Evil///M
Professional Hitman

Drives: 335i Street. E36 M3 Track.

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.25]
Don't know why they just don't add another oil cooler on the driver side.
      11-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #21
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M View Post
Don't know why they just don't add another oil cooler on the driver side.
Probably, and this is just a guess, they are concerned with oil pressure drop.
      11-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
This radiator (especially the core) looks like the oil cooler with a slightly modified mounting bracket. Even the diameter of the lines is indicative that this is an oil cooler.

I think BMW simply tried to engineer its way out of a problem that should not have existed in the first place and they went cheap on the budget.