E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Squeak - Please help!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
dwall
Private
 
dwall's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ, USA

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Angry Brake Squeak - Please help!!

So here is the story in short -

I have a 07 e92. I had the brake squeak when accelerating from 0 to 20 mph and my brakes pads only had 2000-3000 miles left on it.

So replaced rotors, pads and sensors (Centric rotors and pads). Bedded them and was good for the first few weeks but then started getting brake squeak when braking. It grew louder over time. Tried bedding, hard stops, hard stops in reverse, all possible things I could find on the forums. Nothing helped and the squeaking was loud as hell.

Finally, had a shop open the brakes, grease the rotors, behind brake pads, on the pads. All the brake squeak sprays available.

Now, I don't have any squeak under very light braking but medium or hard braking, the squeaking is still there.

What can I do to get rid of this other than changing the pads? If I have to change the pads, what pads? I have read mixed reviews about all the pads. At this point, I don't care about dusting. Just pads for daily driving which DO NOT squeak.

Please help!!!

Sorry tried to keep it short but I know its not.
dwall is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
bumere90
Grozniy
 
Drives: Carless
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: FL

Posts: 2,588
iTrader: (12)

oem pads
__________________
-fatman
bumere90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
e90fanatic
Absolute0
 
e90fanatic's Avatar
 
Drives: Has a Roundel
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TO/HK/NJ

Posts: 5,018
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to e90fanatic
i heard EDC green pads are the best..maybe swap to those? centric doesnt have good reviews.
__________________
To procede or not to procede......
e90fanatic is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant
 
DetectiveLoki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County - SOCAL

Posts: 287
iTrader: (4)

At least your squeaks 0 - 20. Mine squeaks up to 40 mph.
DetectiveLoki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
 
fun2drive's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335 Vert E36 M3/4
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida Panhandle

Posts: 578
iTrader: (1)

Standard practice:
Use brake anti squeal material (usually red) and coat the back side of the pads
Campher the edges of the pads at an angle to eliminate any 90 degree angles

You already have new rotors and pads bedded in so for the moment we should discount those.

If the first two have not been done I would suggest pulling the pads and doing them...
fun2drive is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Fortyb
WHO DAT!
 
Fortyb's Avatar
 
Drives: "07 328I Coupe,"12 Acura Mdx
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Huntsville,AL/WHO DAT

Posts: 913
iTrader: (3)

Hawk street pads in the yellow box.. EBC green pads i had those before and they squeal every time they started to warm up....Sounded terrible..
__________________
2007 328CI l 19" AG M359 | 235/35/19f | 275/30/19r | VRS Spoiler | 8500 Gp | Aero lip | Front reflectors delete | Cyba Intake scoops | BMS PBX | LTBMW M3sides | CF roof spoiler |Split Leather Armrest | Mod4cars remote | LCI Tail lights | M-tech Rear | Valentine V1 Hardwired.
Fortyb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
dwall
Private
 
dwall's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ, USA

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveLoki View Post
At least your squeaks 0 - 20. Mine squeaks up to 40 mph.
That squeak went away after i changed pads, rotors and sensors. Now it squeaks whenever I brake.
dwall is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
dwall
Private
 
dwall's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ, USA

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Standard practice:
Use brake anti squeal material (usually red) and coat the back side of the pads
Campher the edges of the pads at an angle to eliminate any 90 degree angles

You already have new rotors and pads bedded in so for the moment we should discount those.

If the first two have not been done I would suggest pulling the pads and doing them...
Done the anti squeal part. Now it doesn't squeak on very light braking but still squeaks on medium/hard braking.
dwall is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
dwall
Private
 
dwall's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ, USA

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

So, I am guessing I will have to change the pads.

Between OEM, Akebono Euro and Carbon cool pads - Which is the best combination? Priority being no noise!!

Last edited by dwall; 10-28-2012 at 12:50 PM.
dwall is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
N0OS3
Colonel
 
N0OS3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oak Harbor, WA

Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (5)

O_o i used callahan brakes and ceramic pads (came in a complete kit) [ebay]... i used the red/orange anti-squeal on the back of the pads and the only time i get any kind of a chirp or squeal is in the morning after they have been exposed to weather (when i don't keep it in the garage) for a while... other than that, mine work fine... ^__^
__________________
WTB: 3 Stage Intake Manifold and components - PM me your asking price.
N0OS3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
 
fun2drive's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335 Vert E36 M3/4
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida Panhandle

Posts: 578
iTrader: (1)

I have installed all 3 on various BMWs and have never had any of these squeal. If I was to prioritize I would pick OEM first, Akebonos and Cool Carbons both come in 2nd.
I would strongly advise scuffing the rotors up now since you are changing pads. Bed your brakes in according to the manufacturer. If they are OEMs BMW suggests light braking for the first 300 miles or so and if you need to stomp on them by all means do so. This is contrary to what Cool Carbons state which is a series of brake applications from XX miles an hour to XX mile an hour so many times.
Unless you really use very light braking action you should be fine. Too light will cause the rotor to glaze over and I would guess that is contributing to some of your squeal...
fun2drive is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
AndyR83
Major
 
AndyR83's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i FBO
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 1,006
iTrader: (5)

I was about to buy the Hawk ceramics mentioned above. Will be interested in keeping an eye on this thread.
AndyR83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
JBE90335
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 647
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveLoki View Post
At least your squeaks 0 - 20. Mine squeaks up to 40 mph.
+1 so embarassing
JBE90335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim

Posts: 2,890
iTrader: (6)

When you change from one pad compound to another it is important to remove the previous material from the rotor surface as different formulations are not always compatible.

All 3 choices have the possibility of noise.

The OE formula is somewhat grabby and not very linear and is intended to minimize warranty issues.
The Akebono is a low dust formula but with a lower level of friction and performance but has OK performance on a daily driver and also low dust.
The Cool Carbon pads offer a very linear feel and with greater performance than the other alternatives and also with low noise and dust after proper break in has been accomplished. Additionally the friction level increases with heat when additional performance is required.

Cool Carbon recommends 2 different bedding procedures dependent as to whether the application will be mostly street performance or in the alternative if it is intended to track the car immediately in which case the more aggressive bedding procedure may be used to accelerate the material transfer process onto the rotor surface.

Hope this helps
__________________
Kevin S. | european auto source (eas)
email: kevin@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x31

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
kevin @ eas is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant
 
DetectiveLoki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County - SOCAL

Posts: 287
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine390 View Post
+1 so embarassing
tell me about it... people look at me weird so i blast my music to cancel out the squeak.
DetectiveLoki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
dwall
Private
 
dwall's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ, USA

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
I have installed all 3 on various BMWs and have never had any of these squeal. If I was to prioritize I would pick OEM first, Akebonos and Cool Carbons both come in 2nd.
I would strongly advise scuffing the rotors up now since you are changing pads. Bed your brakes in according to the manufacturer. If they are OEMs BMW suggests light braking for the first 300 miles or so and if you need to stomp on them by all means do so. This is contrary to what Cool Carbons state which is a series of brake applications from XX miles an hour to XX mile an hour so many times.
Unless you really use very light braking action you should be fine. Too light will cause the rotor to glaze over and I would guess that is contributing to some of your squeal...
I have to do a lot of very light braking when driving in the city. So far OEM seems to be the best choice.
dwall is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
dwall
Private
 
dwall's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ, USA

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
When you change from one pad compound to another it is important to remove the previous material from the rotor surface as different formulations are not always compatible.

All 3 choices have the possibility of noise.

The OE formula is somewhat grabby and not very linear and is intended to minimize warranty issues.
The Akebono is a low dust formula but with a lower level of friction and performance but has OK performance on a daily driver and also low dust.
The Cool Carbon pads offer a very linear feel and with greater performance than the other alternatives and also with low noise and dust after proper break in has been accomplished. Additionally the friction level increases with heat when additional performance is required.

Cool Carbon recommends 2 different bedding procedures dependent as to whether the application will be mostly street performance or in the alternative if it is intended to track the car immediately in which case the more aggressive bedding procedure may be used to accelerate the material transfer process onto the rotor surface.

Hope this helps
Thanks Kevin. I dont track the car so I guess OEM should be the best option. I have to change my tires so would get the brakes done the same time.
dwall is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
 
fun2drive's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335 Vert E36 M3/4
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida Panhandle

Posts: 578
iTrader: (1)

Bear in mind BMW brake pad replacement and for that matter rotor changes too are some of the easiest out there. Any good indy BMW shop or DIYer can do this with no special tools except a 6 to 8 mm Allen wrench and set of metric wrenches and sockets.

The lower dust OEMs are excellent pads...
fun2drive is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
Three_thirty_I
Captain
 
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Posts: 796
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Had very noisy brakes a few days ago and decided to pull my brake pads out to see if any anti-squeal paste was used when the agents replaced the pads at the beginning of the year, nothing, bone dry!! So I cleaned any dust and grit off the backs of the pads and callipers/pistons, then applied a thin layer of copper grease. Put everything back together and while the brakes are noticeably quieter overall (doesn't squeal at low speeds - pulling off etc), but still does seem to begin to squeal if you allow the brakes to get warmer than normal, as in lots of normal to slightly harder braking.

I don't mind the occasional brake squeal, but the way it was the other day is just down right embarrassing and annoying!

Oh BTW, disks and pads are OEM...
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Three_thirty_I is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
Ezrollerr
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stouffville

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

I had the same issue. I got them cleaned and its fine. I have oem everything.
Ezrollerr is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
CALWATERBOY
Captain
 
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E93 N54
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 818
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
oem pads
+1

You know they're quiet.
CALWATERBOY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #22
dwall
Private
 
dwall's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ, USA

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Bear in mind BMW brake pad replacement and for that matter rotor changes too are some of the easiest out there. Any good indy BMW shop or DIYer can do this with no special tools except a 6 to 8 mm Allen wrench and set of metric wrenches and sockets.

The lower dust OEMs are excellent pads...
I don't have a garage. Live in a condo so will take it to a shop.
dwall is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST