E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FMIC and E85 mix: would adding meth give much gains



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Juicer
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Parking lot

Posts: 310
iTrader: (1)

FMIC and E85 mix: would adding meth give much gains

If I'm running an E85 mix and upgraded intercooler, how much gains would I get from running meth at low concentration. I would be doing 40% or less meth concentration in the WW setup. Not looking to run higher meth concentration for safety reasons. Would it even be worth it to run the meth?
Juicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
Wedge1967
Banned
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (3)

For what it's worth, not much. Not enough to take the risk of running a WW Meth kit. I don't even recommend 40% meth with a WW kits. After almost burning my car up with a WW kit, I highly recommend a trunk mount tank. The only time I would run a WW meth kit is if it was for pre-turbo water injection and maybe 20% max meth for cold weather only.

I'm currently running E60 with trunk mount 100% meth and I can tell when the meth kicks in. But for a daily driver, if you have e85 I personally wouldn't mess with running meth.

So to sum it up, NO... It's not worth installing meth unless you plan on trunk mount so you can run 100%. Especially if you have an upgraded IC and e85.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer View Post
If I'm running an E85 mix and upgraded intercooler, how much gains would I get from running meth at low concentration. I would be doing 40% or less meth concentration in the WW setup. Not looking to run higher meth concentration for safety reasons. Would it even be worth it to run the meth?
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
boostaholic786
Lieutenant
 
boostaholic786's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 JB4 G5 ISO RB's FBO+40%E85
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: irving tx

Posts: 558
iTrader: (0)

It all just depends on what kind of tune you have and how much E85 your running...Methanol injection does help more with cooling
__________________
A/W E92 335i M-sport with JB4 G5 ISO/ E40 WEDGE PERFORMANCE BACKEND FLASH, Alpina TCU flash for AT/Switch-tronic +AR Downpipes, Stett gen 1 intake, Wagner-Tuning FMIC+RB Turbo setup/ RB PCV Valve+ Akro exhaust+60% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW coilovers, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@119mph on street tires) NO METH!
boostaholic786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
marv85
Colonel
 
marv85's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 2,558
iTrader: (5)

+1 it depends what tune you're running. It will always lower you IATs, but to make more power when you are already running E85 (enough to achieve stock timing cleanly on highest boost possible) then you will need to advance timing which the JB cannot do.
Either way it's not tons of power.
__________________
'10 E92 335i , COBB
marv85 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
JamesM3M5
Some dude
 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 1,747
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
For what it's worth, not much. Not enough to take the risk of running a WW Meth kit. I don't even recommend 40% meth with a WW kits. After almost burning my car up with a WW kit, I highly recommend a trunk mount tank. The only time I would run a WW meth kit is if it was for pre-turbo water injection and maybe 20% max meth for cold weather only.

I'm currently running E60 with trunk mount 100% meth and I can tell when the meth kicks in. But for a daily driver, if you have e85 I personally wouldn't mess with running meth.

So to sum it up, NO... It's not worth installing meth unless you plan on trunk mount so you can run 100%. Especially if you have an upgraded IC and e85.
Good info.

I guess the only other benefit might be some extra fueling with higher meth concentrations when used with a trunk mount tank for safety reasons. For around-town and a few drag pulls you wouldn't notice, but for road course and lots of back to back drag pulls you'll see a difference.
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Wedge1967
Banned
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (3)

Thanks... For most users it's just not worth the headaches that come along with running meth. I like it because I'm running on average 4 deg above stock timing and pull through multiple gears most of the time to include back to back pulls. But again for the daily driver, e85 will do everything they want it to do and get about the same power as they would with meth and pump gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Good info.

I guess the only other benefit might be some extra fueling with higher meth concentrations when used with a trunk mount tank for safety reasons. For around-town and a few drag pulls you wouldn't notice, but for road course and lots of back to back drag pulls you'll see a difference.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Juicer
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Parking lot

Posts: 310
iTrader: (1)

Thanks guys. Very helpful responses. I think at this point meth is not the right option for me.
Juicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST