E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > car feels slightly "loose"

10-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
abhishriv
Major

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

car feels slightly "loose"

driving on the highway last week and I hit a raise in the road at quite a bit of speed and felt a hard jolt throughout the car. The bump probably wouldnt have been much in a normal car but im lowered quite a bit on KW v2 and have it set to medium stiffness.

I noticed in the last few days that the car doesnt have that tight steering feeling it used to. I booked an appointment for an alignment for this weekend as a start, but was wondering if it might be something else.

Heres what i find wrong with the feel of the car.
- steering a tad bit sluggish, need to turn the wheel more to get desired response

- rear of car feels like it "slides" the slightest bit on rough roads (no its not losing traction)

could this have something to do with the subframe bushings? I'm not too educated on that topic so any help would be appreciated.

Edit: attached alignment specs

Last edited by abhishriv; 10-29-2012 at 02:56 PM.
      10-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
abhishriv
Major

any feedback?
      10-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Eric335
Colonel

Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
i have stock suspension and get the same feeling after i nailed a pothole i didnt see. i was doing 40 mph and the pothole was probably 3 to 4 inches deep. dealership didnt help much. im interested in the answers you receieve as well.
      10-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Check the tires for pressure and bubbles. The alignment will be revealing whether there's damage to the suspension or not.

No offense intended but what you're noticing could all be in your head; you hit something with enough force , your brain decides that you couldn't have escaped unharmed and starts looking for indications something broke; you're rethinking something already present and forming a different conclusion. Ask yourself, if your memory of that incident was wiped, would you still notice something different?
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is offline   United_States
      10-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
abhishriv
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Check the tires for pressure and bubbles. The alignment will be revealing whether there's damage to the suspension or not.

No offense intended but what you're noticing could all be in your head; you hit something with enough force , your brain decides that you couldn't have escaped unharmed and starts looking for indications something broke; you're rethinking something already present and forming a different conclusion. Ask yourself, if your memory of that incident was wiped, would you still notice something different?
no i agree with you i keep thinking maybe its just in my head. but the steering def doesnt feel as tight as before. booked an alignment on sat so we'll see what they say. hopefully its just an alignment issue and is solved. Ive read a number of other people on here with similar complaints and then having it fixed with alignment. .
      10-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
CRG3
Private

Drives: 2011 E92 M-Sport

I had a similar problem, and here was the solution for me:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ecure+subframe
      10-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
leungsta
Captain

Drives: 335i

I kinda feel the same way. I doubt it's "all in my head" cause I've driven my brothers E92 and it feels a lot "tighter" then mine. Mine use to be the same but after driving on Montreal roads all spring/summer...my steering definitely feels "loose".

So I'm looking for answers as well!
Volk Racing CE28n Candy Red | JB4 | AMS FMIC | AR DPs | Injen DCI | BMS OCC | KWV1 | M3 Control Arms | OEM Aero Lip | BMW Performance Spoiler | LUX H8 V3 | Matte Black Grills | Cyba Tips | M-Tech Rear | Custom Alcantara + C/F M3 Steering Wheel | M3 Side Skirts | Vinyl C/F Roof | Fabric C/F Interior Trim | LCI Tail Lights | DD Fins Diffuser
leungsta is offline   Canada
      10-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
abhishriv
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by leungsta View Post
I kinda feel the same way. I doubt it's "all in my head" cause I've driven my brothers E92 and it feels a lot "tighter" then mine. Mine use to be the same but after driving on Montreal roads all spring/summer...my steering definitely feels "loose".

So I'm looking for answers as well!
did you get an alignment, if so did it fix anything? im going to try that first. im also thinking about upgrading the rear subframe bushings to the m3 ones when i have my lsd installed
      10-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast

Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

+1 on the tire pressure, if it's off, you'll definitely feel a difference in steering response and handling tightness.

Either way please let us know what it turns out to be.
BlueBimmer is offline   United_States
      10-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
abhishriv
Major

so i got the alignment done and it wasnt off by much, just needed to decrease the camber in the back in the toe was out a little bit on both wheels in the front, so they brought it back into spec.. but i still feel like the handling is not what it used to be a couple weeks ago. i double checked my tire pressure and even my stiffness setting on my coils.

to clarify what im feeling again. its as if the steering wheel is not as connected to the car anymore. before i could feel what the front tires were doing through the wheel. i could feel the steering twitch going over a bump in the road but now i feel nothing, and now i have to turn the wheel 2inches either way to get the same response as i used to get if i turned the wheel an inch. could this have something to do with the steering column itself?
      10-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
CALWATERBOY
Captain

Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
driving on the highway last week and I hit a raise in the road at quite a bit of speed and felt a hard jolt throughout the car.

I noticed in the last few days that the car doesnt have that tight steering feeling it used to. I booked an appointment for an alignment for this weekend as a start, but was wondering if it might be something else.

Alignment most likely, assuming your rims & tires are OK. Are they? Have a look for dent, crack; rubber bubble.

OTOH, if aligning this weekend w/BMW experienced shop, they'll inspect for that and align correctly; this post too late for prelims.

Please, post an image of their alignment spec sheet! Should show angles before & after alignment, as well as targets. If you don't get that w/o asking, you may have picked the wrong shop. If dealer doing alignment you'll have the excellent BMW Kinematics printout.

It's Sunday - how's she drive?

Who did the work?

If reading you right, but o'numbness up front, otherwise OK. Did they inspect your suspension? Stock arms/rubber bushings etc?

Mileage?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-21-2012 at 11:18 AM.
      10-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
abhishriv
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Alignment most likely, assuming your rims & tires are OK. Are they? Have a look for dent, crack; rubber bubble.

OTOH, if aligning this weekend w/BMW experienced shop, they'll inspect for that and align correctly; this post too late for prelims.

Please, post an image of their alignment spec sheet! Should show angles before & after alignment, as well as targets. If you don't get that w/o asking, you may have picked the wrong shop. If dealer doing alignment you'll have the excellent BMW Kinematics printout.

Who did the work?

If reading you right, but o'numbness up front, otherwise OK. Did they inspect your suspension? Stock arms/rubber bushings etc?

Mileage?

the alignment was done by a shop in toronto which is very reputed on this forum. I've been to the same place after having my coils put on and a year ago when i hit another pot hole. ive just hit about 109000km on the car. so just about 67,000 miles.

- alignment checked
- tire pressures checked
- coilover stiffness setting checked

.... what would be the next thing for me to check out in regards to this? im guessing the control arms?
      10-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
CALWATERBOY
Captain

Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
.... what would be the next thing for me to check out in regards to this? im guessing the control arms?

I'd be looking there....maybe early re: mileage but a hard hit might have caused a problem.
      10-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
abhishriv
Major

Quote:
I'd be looking there....maybe early re: mileage but a hard hit might have caused a problem.
probably a stupid question but any way i can tell myself if they are damaged? i dont want to take it to dealer and have them charge me hundreds of dollars just to have a glance.
      10-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
abhishriv
Major

was on the highway today and the rear sliding feeling is getting worse.. on slight bumps the rear of the car is sliding a bit side to side. WHAT COULD THIS BE?! starting to feel unsafe at those speeds. tire pressures are at 36psi front 38psi rear

Last edited by abhishriv; 10-28-2012 at 02:25 PM.
      10-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
abhishriv
Major

here are the spes from the alignment i got
Attached Images

10-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #17
abhishriv
Major

bump! can anyone help me figure this out?
      11-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
abhishriv
Major

Quote:

Who did the work?

Mileage?

ive attached the spec sheet above.. what do you think? last night i even took off all my wheels and checked my struts. they all look fine no visual damage and no leaking fluids from them. all i noticed is that my rear tires are gone and need to switch to winters this weekend. yesterday i noticed another sound too. when coming to a stop after braking hard (weight of the car shifts back), something in the back of the car makes a low squeak sound, thats why i thought it was the shocks and checked them when i got home.
      11-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #19
CJ421
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Alignment looks fine.

See what happens when you switch to winter tires.
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is offline   United_States
      11-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #20
abhishriv
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Alignment looks fine.

See what happens when you switch to winter tires.
yup going to do that over the weekend. also booked myself in for a full suspension check. gonna have them look at all my bushings, ball joints, control arms. but somethign tells me they will say they cant find anything.
      11-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
TC Kline Racing
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's

What you are describing sounds like you have some bushings that are getting worn. Did you put in new rear shock mounts when you installed your suspension? How many miles are on your car? Are you getting some bump steer too? The vagueness is usually contributed to worn out bushings......Do you have a reputable independent BMW shop you can take it to, or a shop that set's up race cars? They will probably know better than a stealership (better price too)

Check your sway bar and sway bar endlinks(front and rear). If you can get the car up in the air, get a pry bar out and start pushing and pulling on your bushings (there are alot back there) and see if you can pinpoint the problem.

Hope that helps.

TC Kline Racing is offline   United_States
      11-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
abhishriv
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Kline Racing View Post
What you are describing sounds like you have some bushings that are getting worn. Did you put in new rear shock mounts when you installed your suspension? How many miles are on your car? Are you getting some bump steer too? The vagueness is usually contributed to worn out bushings......Do you have a reputable independent BMW shop you can take it to, or a shop that set's up race cars? They will probably know better than a stealership (better price too)

Check your sway bar and sway bar endlinks(front and rear). If you can get the car up in the air, get a pry bar out and start pushing and pulling on your bushings (there are alot back there) and see if you can pinpoint the problem.

Hope that helps.

i dont think they replaced the shock mounts. but i do have a shop which specializes in bmws and they have some of their own e9x track cars as well. im getting an LSD put on within the next month so i really want to get this resolved. thinking of just replacing any worn parts with the m3 bits. about 67,000 miles on the car.