E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > I am getting misfires on cylinder 2 (P29CE)

11-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
ge0rgieee
Private

Drives: 335i

I am getting misfires on cylinder 2 (P29CE)

hey guys, lately my car was idling rough and a few days ago a silent code appeared on my cobb AP (P29CE) which is a misfire on cylinder 2.

So I ordered new plugs and new coil packs, well on friday night after work I go start the car and it was shaking way to much, the rpms were bouncing up and down and they dipped a little to low and boom the check engine light came on.

I didn't want to drive it home so I left it there and went this morning and changed all the plugs, the plug on cylinder 2 was completely black and had oil on it and on the coil. There was oil in the hole too, so I replaced all of them. Re-set the ECU and cleared the code the the car seemed fine, I could actually drive it home.

I did a few errands and on the way home right now the rpms started dipping a little at red lights but drove fine. There was no check engine light so I plug the cobb AP back in and again code P29CE came back, seems like the same cylinder is misfiring again

Where do I go from here, injectors? I have a feeling its only a matter of time before the new plug gets fouled and the check engine light comes on again and the car becomes undriveable

I did the plugs and coils myself but I don't think I will be able to do injectors, how much do you think this will cost me at a dealer or indy shop?
      11-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Ilma
Colonel

Drives: BMW

Sounds like your valve cover is leaking oil into the spark plug hole and fouling the plug as the oil works its way down the threads.

Having oil in the plug hole is the tell tale symptom.

You probably need a new valve cover gasket. You also may have inadvertently cracked the valve cover itself if you put any body weight on it while working on the engine.
      11-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
ge0rgieee
Private

Drives: 335i

yes but it was only in cylinder 2, when I replaced everything with new ones the same exact cylinder is misfiring again.