E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Foglight Question

11-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
DiscoMike
BIMMER-1

Drives: 335i-X Drive - M-Sport PP CWP

Foglight Question

OK, here is another lighting question I have.

Based on everyones input, I purchased High Performance Bulbs interior kit and have been quite satisified with the results.

I am replacing my side markers and turn signals with HPB LEDs this weekend - it has to be Amber (although I really want White) because of NY State Law.

My question moves on to the foglights. Does anyone have HPB High Performance Xenon H8 Plug and Play HID Conversion Kit with with Ultra Canbus Ballasts‏? If so, what are your thoughts?

I hear it is much 3 times brighter than stock. I am thinking of getting it, but I dont want to blind other drivers. Well maybe that SUV who has his high beams on.
      11-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph

Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage

Garage List
I have the HPB H8 HID conversion in my fogs @ 6000K to match my headlights - very noticeably brighter than stock bulbs, but I have never had anyone in oncoming traffic flash my their highs because they are annoyed...

HPB claims these to be Error Free since they use the Canbus ballasts. On my 09' E92 that was NOT the case. I had errors come up constantly after install. Fred @ HPB sent out new ballasts-didn't fix the problem, I had them double-grounded so it wasn't that. In the end, we never did figure out why. Most cars will not see this problem, I must just have a finnicky car.

I could have returned them for credit, but I liked them, so I just coded out the fogs and all has been fine for 2 yrs now
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States
      11-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
DiscoMike
BIMMER-1

Thanks much for the info!!!

I too have been in contact with Fred who has supplied me the information about their Foglight solution. Your input about brightness without having to blind other drivers installs confidence in purchasing this item, yet I have a 2009 E92 X-Drive, so I may encounter the error codes that you also describe.

Decissions decissions.
      11-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph

Garage List
I really wouldn't worry, I've seen most on here that had no problems, and Fred stated that he couldn't understand it either - had (2) different sets of new ballasts and still no go. It could be that my car is a bit more sensative for some reason.

Everything else about the kit is great & they have been working fine with no radio interference. They really do illuminate the road much better than the stock halogens.

If for some odd reason you would need to code them out also - it would be a good opportunity to have all the other little nice coding options done
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
      11-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
DiscoMike
BIMMER-1

I do want coding redone to my car, so you have a point there. I notice it comes with a pair of enclosures (ballasts?) that need to be secured.

Did you have to secure the enclosures and if so, where?

How easy is it to access the area where the enclosures that need to be secured?

How long did it take to complete the installation of those fogs?

Thanks much for helpings noob Bimmer owner.
      11-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
skeetx3

Drives: e92 328i

Im looking to upgrade my foglights too with HPB but was wondering if they still turn on when in auto mode when making turns. 1quikws6 do urs still come on?
skeetx3 is offline   Philippines
      11-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
UndergroundEuros
Banned

Drives: 335I Alphina White

We sell a great fog kit as well.
If you don't like it, I will take it back.
      11-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
1QuikWS6
No 55mph

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoMike View Post
I do want coding redone to my car, so you have a point there. I notice it comes with a pair of enclosures (ballasts?) that need to be secured.

Did you have to secure the enclosures and if so, where?

How easy is it to access the area where the enclosures that need to be secured?

How long did it take to complete the installation of those fogs?

Thanks much for helpings noob Bimmer owner.
To gain access to the fogs and mount the ballasts I removed the front wheels & the front inner fender panels (EZ - just a couple screws). I then mounted the ballasts on both sides directly to the front frame rails of the car within distance of reach of cabling from ballasts to fogs. Once you replace the inner wheel liners the ballasts are then hidden and protected from road debris/dirt & winter crap.

I made sure to remove paint from underneath both ballast mounting screws for good Ground + I also used the included Ground Lead under top mounting screw & then to yet another different point on the frame rail - for double good Ground. Grounding is VERY important for proper/reliable HID performance.

1st side took about 1 hr from jacking up car/removing wheel/wheel liner to final completion. 2nd side took about 20min as I already had the process down and knew good mounting location for ballast.

Quote:
Im looking to upgrade my foglights too with HPB but was wondering if they still turn on when in auto mode when making turns. 1quikws6 do urs still come on?
My fogs (lights @ each corner in line with lower grill, never came ON when cornering whether in Auto or not AFAIK

My inner headlights auto illuminate @ respective side when using turn signal and turning...
      11-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
Spydeputy
Brigadier General

Drives: 2012,E92,335is/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2012 335is  [1.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Spydeputy
If you want fog lights go with 2500K, if you want driving lights go with 6000K.
2012, E92, 335is, Space Metal Gray, DINAN Stage 2, Helix FMIC, M Sport Pkg, Dbl Spoke 313 Wheels, Gray & Blk Leather, Conv. Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Prem Pkg, 7 Sp DCT, Navigation, Satellite / Harman Kardon Radio.
BMW CCA Member
Spydeputy is offline   Germany
      11-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Otruba_843
Major

Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbv328i View Post
Pretty sure this only happens on the X5/X6 and on the f30's. LCI's have the cornering light closest to the grill.
      11-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
milesthng

Drives: 320i black

I want to change my foglights too. I changed the bulbs to a blue/white one that matches my blue/white halogen bulbs (i know... i want xenon's too)

However, my foglights seem to be a little on the purple side (dont really match with the headlights) and im starting to get a little annoyed. I want nice WHITE hid fogs.
BUT i dont want it to be TOO bright such that it blinds others. and I also rather not have any error codes. how do i go about doing this?

If i get an error i guess its ok I think my workshop can code away the error (they did it for me before)