E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Speeding Ticket in Michigan...

10-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
shaginwagon13
Charted Accountant

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Speeding Ticket in Michigan...

Hey guys,

I was in Michigan today heading back up to Toronto. I heard rumors snow might be a possibility in the London area so I was going a little faster than normal because I still have summer tires on. My summers are terreble in the rain, pretty much undrivable in the snow and got pulled over going 93 in a 70.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to possibly get the ticket thrown out or reduced, I don't wanna loose points.

Thanks guys
shaginwagon13 is offline   Canada
      10-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Havok_2011

Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

93 in a 70 is not bad. If you take it to court and speak to the person that is taking attendance of who is present before the court session begins(representative of the crown), she/he will reduce it to a minor payment and zero points.

Don't stress. Go get it processed for a court date, and arrive a little early to speak to them about accepting a reduced fee. When the time comes explain it was the freak weather due to the hurricane and you were worried, so you went a little faster than usual.

Don't hire anyone or do anything crazy like that, this is easy to manage on your own, and you wont lose points.
Havok_2011 is offline   Canada
      10-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant

Drives: sideways always

Was this ticket issued outside of Canada?

Not sure if the court where OP has to go to file a court date is easily accessible.

For local tickets, I used to agree with Havok, and did what he said. However, I've realized and now personally prefer just paying a reputable paralegal to take care of it all. They charge from $150~$250, but you save two trips to court (a trip to file a court date and a trip on the court date), you save parking fees and time looking for a spot, time, energy, and best of all, you don't have to miss work (make back the paralegal fees). Plus, if they are reputable and have been in their field of work for some time, chances of them having more leverage in landing you a better outcome is higher than what you can do yourself.

$0.02

PM me if you want a recommendation for a paralegal. I have been referred to this one by three different officers and have been sending my friends to him with great successes.
      10-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
shaginwagon13
Charted Accountant

Havok - ASPEC

Thank you both the the reply.

I agree, if the ticket was local, I would just make a court date and go to court. Unfortunately, the ticket was issued in Michigan and I really don't want to have to drive over 4 hours one way to make a court appearance which is why I was inquiring about a paralegal that can deal with it.

ASPEC - you have a pm
      10-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
jacewong
Private First Class

Drives: e92 328i

I got a ticket speeding from LA to Vegas. Probably going 95 or 100 over 75.
1. If you want to risk the ramifications of not paying the ticket due to the lack of reciprocal state/toronto/canada traffic act, you can go that route
2. personally, i just called and wrote a letter directly to the judge of the court pleading my case. From a 700 bill, he immediately knocked it down to 200 and no points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Havok - ASPEC

Thank you both the the reply.

I agree, if the ticket was local, I would just make a court date and go to court. Unfortunately, the ticket was issued in Michigan and I really don't want to have to drive over 4 hours one way to make a court appearance which is why I was inquiring about a paralegal that can deal with it.

ASPEC - you have a pm
jacewong is offline   Canada
      10-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
shaginwagon13
Charted Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacewong View Post
personally, i just called and wrote a letter directly to the judge of the court pleading my case. From a 700 bill, he immediately knocked it down to 200 and no points.
What did you write in for your explanation for the reasoning behind why you were speeding?
      11-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
jacewong
Private First Class

Drives: e92 328i

you don't need to explain why you were speeding. I just referred to the ticket and asked for forgiveness and if the fine can be reduced.

easy.
jacewong is offline   Canada