E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What is the reason for slow cold start, 3 to 5 second.

10-15-2016, 02:58 AM   #1
csehao
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330i

What is the reason for slow cold start, 3 to 5 second.

I have a 2006 BMW 330i on 110k miles. It can take 3 to 5 second (crank about 7 to 10 times) to start when its cold (sitting longer than 12 hours), especially in cold winter. It starts fine whenever it is hot.

Battery is new, voltage is fine, 12.3v.
Used chevron fuel system clearer, it alleviated the problem before, but not this time anymore.
Tried to wait for 10 second more to build up fuel pressure before start, not working.

Anybody know what is cause of this problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 03:09 AM   #2
Phil325i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
HPFP is No.1 suspect...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 05:15 AM   #3
frenchi
First Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330xi M PACK

Starter almost sure or crankshaft sensor !! 2006 is an N52 so no HPFP
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
bmwhitman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
I had a similar issue turned out to be the eccentric shaft. Let me know what it turned out to be .
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Probably starter, it's a common problem. Mine would have slower starts in the winter.

My theory is that in the winter, your battery doesn't put out quite as many amps as during the summer, and the failing starter starts much slower with just a small dip in battery power. The starter needs all it can get from the battery since it's on its way out.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 05:41 AM   #6
csehao
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330i

I'm curious, if the starter is the problem, why is it like only the first cold start would be slow. Even if I run the car for 2 second, turn it off, and start right away. It will start smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patents View Post
Probably starter, it's a common problem. Mine would have slower starts in the winter.

My theory is that in the winter, your battery doesn't put out quite as many amps as during the summer, and the failing starter starts much slower with just a small dip in battery power. The starter needs all it can get from the battery since it's on its way out.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
lab_rat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i ZSP/ZPP/ZMT

Garage List
I'm not sure if we would have the same issue, but I thought maybe as a fellow 330i owner, my issue & resolution my be of some value.

My 330i seems to have the same issue as your car recently. The long cold crank issue I've experienced started happening intermittently (once or twice a week) about 3-4 weeks ago, but no codes on the dash or any other obvious signs of immediate repairs needed were given. Fast forward to this past week, and the cold start issue was almost every morning - it would take almost 2-3 seconds longer than normal to crank. Otherwise throughout the day there were no issues. I checked the battery window (which was black) last night after the car had been sitting for nearly 48 hours in the garage. The car unlocks/lights come on/clock displays correct time...but car will not turn over now.

I am going to roll it out of the garage and use my wife's car to jump it off, and to to my Indy...hopefully he can diagnose whether it is (hopefully) just the battery, or if any of the alternator/voltage regulator/IBS parts have issues (hopefully not).

I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
lab_rat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i ZSP/ZPP/ZMT

Garage List
Problem solved yesterday.

It turns out the issue was not related to the alternator, voltage regulator, or IBS (thankfully)...but it was a dead cell in the battery which was causing a rapid rate of discharge once it was sitting idle for a period of time.

My Indy and I were both amazed though, because he said it was the original battery.

Sorry my issue didn't parallel yours...I know you had stated in your original post that your battery was new; keep us in the loop on what ultimately turns out to be the issue.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #9
balxoscar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by patents View Post

It sounds like a reasonable theory but I don't think it is valid. My reasoning is because every battery has some sort of internal resistance. Resistance is affected by temperature, so as it gets colder in winter and temperature decreases, resistance also decreases. And current(amps) is voltage/resistance. So if resistance was, for example, 20 ohms in the fall and decreased to 15 ohms in winter, voltage remains the same(12V):

In fall 12V/20 ohms= 0.6amps

In winter 12V/15 ohms= 0.8amps

So current(amps) would actually increase in the winter. In summer it would be the opposite, amps would decrease with increased temperature.
Appreciate 0