E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlight HID ballast. Noob question



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
getby25
Private
 
Drives: 06 325xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: RI USA

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Headlight HID ballast. Noob question

I'm using now HID 35watt ballast for my low beam and thinking to change fog light to HID as well. So here is question, those ballast are using for my low beam now, wonder if i can use those for my fog light. Because i will get new 50watt for low beam.

Additional question, are those 50 watt low beams really brighter than 35watt? Also can you guys recommend light bulbs for low beams? I am looking for some bulbs that can make my night sight brighter with 6000k or 4500k.

Thanks.
getby25 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
BRGmatthew
Bausman
 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650

Posts: 1,704
iTrader: (18)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by getby25 View Post
I'm using now HID 35watt ballast for my low beam and thinking to change fog light to HID as well. So here is question, those ballast are using for my low beam now, wonder if i can use those for my fog light. Because i will get new 50watt for low beam.

Additional question, are those 50 watt low beams really brighter than 35watt? Also can you guys recommend light bulbs for low beams? I am looking for some bulbs that can make my night sight brighter with 6000k or 4500k.

Thanks.
I dont remember that well but I remember that one year for bmw doine HID fogs was near impossible. I remember that error cancelers wont work for fogs and you have to cut the wires and solder some capacitors in it for the fogs to work properly. So to answer your question, yes you can use the ballast, but do a search to find out if you can use the capacitors. I remember I tried the cancelers on mine and they like blew up.

50 watt HID bulbs are a lot brighter and the output color is different than the 35watt. Do a search on that too, there are a lot of threads that talk about it. If i remember correctly from a thread, the 50watt is a lot hotter than the 35watt too so it may burn through your housing. And for the best night output, i would go with 6000k. The higher the temp, the more color but less light output.
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
UndergroundEuros
Banned
 
Drives: 335I Alphina White
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 1,222
iTrader: (9)

2006 was the year people have issues with, but our kits have no issues.
Those ballast you are using now should work.
But be careful 55w can get to hot and melt your housing then you will be spending 2K on a new head light. Stay with 35W
UndergroundEuros is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
getby25
Private
 
Drives: 06 325xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: RI USA

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by **************** View Post
2006 was the year people have issues with, but our kits have no issues.
Those ballast you are using now should work.
But be careful 55w can get to hot and melt your housing then you will be spending 2K on a new head light. Stay with 35W

how about 55watt for fog light? any error or other issues on 06 e90 325xi pre LCI?
getby25 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 16,423
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
I would not go with 55 Watt, you could damage your wiring, harness, relay, or even melt the housing.

Stay with the 35Watt. 2006-2007 are notorious for being picky. We've tried over a dozen high quality canbus ballast in conjunction with HPB to find a solution for 2006-2007 3 series cars.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
getby25
Private
 
Drives: 06 325xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: RI USA

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions
I would not go with 55 Watt, you could damage your wiring, harness, relay, or even melt the housing.

Stay with the 35Watt. 2006-2007 are notorious for being picky. We've tried over a dozen high quality canbus ballast in conjunction with HPB to find a solution for 2006-2007 3 series cars.
If i am not satisfied with the brightness of lowbeams, what should i do? Changing light bulb of low beams? Or changing fog light to HID? I am using DEPO after market stuff now.
getby25 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
UndergroundEuros
Banned
 
Drives: 335I Alphina White
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 1,222
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by getby25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions
I would not go with 55 Watt, you could damage your wiring, harness, relay, or even melt the housing.

Stay with the 35Watt. 2006-2007 are notorious for being picky. We've tried over a dozen high quality canbus ballast in conjunction with HPB to find a solution for 2006-2007 3 series cars.
If i am not satisfied with the brightness of lowbeams, what should i do? Changing light bulb of low beams? Or changing fog light to HID? I am using DEPO after market stuff now.
Put a hid low beam kit, if you can. D1s bulb or hid low beam kit.
We sell both.
UndergroundEuros is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
getby25
Private
 
Drives: 06 325xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: RI USA

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by **************** View Post
Put a hid low beam kit, if you can. D1s bulb or hid low beam kit.
We sell both.
i am using HID low beams now, which it is 35watt 6000k.

those you recommend me D1s bulb or HID low beam kit, what is specialized? because i am only looking for something brighter than what i have now.
getby25 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
BOBKUR
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E 90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA

Posts: 1,340
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by getby25 View Post
i am using HID low beams now, which it is 35watt 6000k.

those you recommend me D1s bulb or HID low beam kit, what is specialized? because i am only looking for something brighter than what i have now.
You can change the bulbs all day long and not change anything. You bought DEPO headlights that are junk, the problem is the projectors that are used in DEPO are garbage. Save your money and buy OEM headlights and throw away the DEPO.
BOBKUR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
getby25
Private
 
Drives: 06 325xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: RI USA

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
You can change the bulbs all day long and not change anything. You bought DEPO headlights that are junk, the problem is the projectors that are used in DEPO are garbage. Save your money and buy OEM headlights and throw away the DEPO.
well, as i am a college student now, i could not spend 2K for changing headlight, i def knew DEPO is not good as much as OEM but price was 1/4 cheaper. i am very satisfied having the angel eyes and HID by how much i paid. so now i am just trying to make it better at my situation. once i graduate, one year left, thinking about getting M3

have you ever used DEPO?? but still i believe if i change low beam light bulbs from 6000k to 4300 or 5000 it will make brighter, also i am thinking changing fog to HID as well.
getby25 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
BMWWW
Private First Class
 
BMWWW's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 173
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by getby25 View Post
well, as i am a college student now, i could not spend 2K for changing headlight, i def knew DEPO is not good as much as OEM but price was 1/4 cheaper. i am very satisfied having the angel eyes and HID by how much i paid. so now i am just trying to make it better at my situation. once i graduate, one year left, thinking about getting M3

have you ever used DEPO?? but still i believe if i change low beam light bulbs from 6000k to 4300 or 5000 it will make brighter, also i am thinking changing fog to HID as well.
The closer to 4300k bulb-wise, the better you will be optimized for a 35w setup.

Not condoning one way or another, but if you DO go the path of 55w lowbeams, it would be HIGHLY recommended you go with either OEM bulbs (Philips/Osrams) or at the minimum, a high-quality aftermarket bulb that theretrofitsource sells. Cheapo bulbs that come with most aftermarket kits run significantly hotter Fahrenheit-wise.
__________________

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

BMWWW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST