E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein HD's installed--->clunking in rear. Diagnosis please.

09-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

Bilstein HD's installed--->clunking in rear. Diagnosis please.

I have a 328i e90 and installed the bilstein HDs with my original sport springs. The car handles GREAT now and rides well....big improvement from my worn out dampers.

The problem is there is a significant clunking noise in the rear. The car handles bumps well at speed, but when going slow, it sounds like something is loose "clunk noise" in the trunk. My BIL did the install for me, and we did not load the suspension before tightening the rears. Any ideas on what to check?

Should I loosen the bolts, load the suspension and retighten, or is it something else. We used new Monroe too mounts.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
W37V
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

For rear shocks, there are only 2 bolts you need to remove for each side. So, it's kind of hard to mess up, but it's possible.

Inspect upper mounts. It's possible that they may have slipped through. Just lift up the boot and see what's up. Also it's possible that the bolts were not tightened properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #3
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
For rear shocks, there are only 2 bolts you need to remove for each side. So, it's kind of hard to mess up, but it's possible.

Inspect upper mounts. It's possible that they may have slipped through. Just lift up the boot and see what's up. Also it's possible that the bolts were not tightened properly.
Thanks. Do you think we need to load the suspension before tightening, because we didn't do that.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
W37V
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

No. You don't need to load the rear suspension since you didn't loosen up anything - at least you shouldn't had.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

is there any possibility that you either assembled the rear shock mount items incorrectly or didn't tighten down the monro mounts all the way??
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
is there any possibility that you either assembled the rear shock mount items incorrectly or didn't tighten down the monro mounts all the way??
Possible. I was thinking maybe that "washer" looking piece may have been installed upside down.

I might have time tomorrow to take off the wheel and have a look. The clunking sounds like its coming from the trunk to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 10:23 PM   #7
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

yes if the monroe mounts are not tightened all the way down, the clunking sound like it is coming from the trunk. I know this first hand because I when i put mine on, my shock stripped and I couldn't run the monroe nut all the way down and drove it to a garage this way, clunking in the trunk the whole way. The shop put a vice grip on the shock shaft and used a pneumatic wrench to run the nut down on the stripped shock.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0