E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Recaro Sportster CS/BMW Performance Seats



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
rbsileighty
Private
rbsileighty's Avatar
2
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Recaro Sportster CS/BMW Performance Seats

Does anyone know if Recaro CS's or BMW Performance seats would give a substantial amount of headroom over stock sport seats in an E90? I'm 6'4" and right against the headliner with the seats where I like them, so I have to recline a bit to fit... input is greatly appreciated!



I assumed after looking at the subforums avail that seats are Chassis related, feel free to move if necessary!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
J. Dub
Bob Saget
J. Dub's Avatar
United_States
178
Rep
2,115
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: AR - 501

iTrader: (13)

I am also interested at 6ft 3 I want my OEM seats lower.
__________________
I HAVE a flat bottom modified OEM steering wheel, PM ME if you want it
In memory of Robert Flynn
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
feuer
Colonel
feuer's Avatar
United_States
459
Rep
2,968
Posts

Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

I don't have them in my car but been in cars that do. Also been with cars with only the drivers seat replaced with BMW Performance seat. Although, they offer better body support I will say that they are not lower at all since my helmet was still banging onto the holly shit handle....

I'm only 5.8 compared to yours 6.3 and 6.4.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
J. Dub
Bob Saget
J. Dub's Avatar
United_States
178
Rep
2,115
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: AR - 501

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I don't have them in my car but been in cars that do. Also been with cars with only the drivers seat replaced with BMW Performance seat. Although, they offer better body support I will say that they are not lower at all since my helmet was still banging onto the holly shit handle....

I'm only 5.8 compared to yours 6.3 and 6.4.
Surely they do not raise the seat heat... right?
__________________
I HAVE a flat bottom modified OEM steering wheel, PM ME if you want it
In memory of Robert Flynn
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
feuer
Colonel
feuer's Avatar
United_States
459
Rep
2,968
Posts

Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
Surely they do not raise the seat heat... right?
I would say that they don't. However, they are very expensive. I assume one can modify the frame to make them lower. But if you are to mode the frame just mode the existing seat.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2016, 05:07 AM   #6
EJ_3
Colonel
EJ_3's Avatar
United_States
208
Rep
2,827
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [4.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
Surely they do not raise the seat heat... right?
When going with the Sportster CS (or any other aftermarket seat), the height will vary depending on the hardware used to mount them. Floor mounts, if sliders are used, and seat brackets (attaches seat to floor mount) varies in height from different manufactures. FWIW, I'm 6'4 and have enough clearance with Macht Schnell floor mounts, Recaro steel side mounts, and Recaro sliders with my helmet on with Recaro Profi XL seats. They are a lot thinner (less cushion) compared stock which helps with getting closer to the floor.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2016, 12:10 AM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Kgolf31's Avatar
214
Rep
4,463
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_3 View Post
When going with the Sportster CS (or any other aftermarket seat), the height will vary depending on the hardware used to mount them. Floor mounts, if sliders are used, and seat brackets (attaches seat to floor mount) varies in height from different manufactures. FWIW, I'm 6'4 and have enough clearance with Macht Schnell floor mounts, Recaro steel side mounts, and Recaro sliders with my helmet on with Recaro Profi XL seats. They are a lot thinner (less cushion) compared stock which helps with getting closer to the floor.
+1. You still have a ton of material on that bottom cushion so it's difficult to see if you can really mount them lower. IIRC someone did a test and didn't find anything substantial

I run Recaro SPGs. 6'1". I run my seats as low as possible on VAC Mounts + Sliders, and here is where I sit.



Hard to see, but I have a ton of headroom (probably close to a foot)
__________________

Appreciate 2
      01-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
feuer
Colonel
feuer's Avatar
United_States
459
Rep
2,968
Posts

Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

Also depends from the persons body. For example both me and my brother are 5.10 but he has longer legs vs me who has longer torso. So I have to sit little bit closer to the steering wheel. He doesn't.

However, I still think that custom brackets will solve any issues as pointed above by Ej-3 and Kgolf31
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST