E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > M Sport Suspension on XI doesnt fit

02-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
bruning6
Private First Class

Drives: 08 135i, 09 335i LCI

M Sport Suspension on XI doesnt fit

So I bought 335i RWD M Sport Suspension - Front Struts and Rear Shocks from a Member on here with his stock M sport Springs and his aftermarket Eibach Springs with the idea that I am putting my style 95s on it in the spring and the Eibachs might be too low so then I would have the already lower M sport springs and shorter struts and shocks.
But the front M Sport Struts are a <1/8th inch larger diameter at the base and do not fit into the XI front spindles where the pinch bolt holds them. I can post a photo if anyone would like to see what I am saying.
My options are three ways as I see it
Either grind out the spindle the C hair that is needed (which is easiest, most cost effective and my likely path)
Or put the Eibach springs on the stock XI struts (but then I fear that is too much of a drop for those struts and the XI Rake everyone mentions)
Or worst case buy some Front Bilstein sports if they exist for the XIs as they should be shorter.
Either way it should look BA when I am done
      02-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
jeguth1s
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruning6 View Post
So I bought 335i RWD M Sport Suspension - Front Struts and Rear Shocks from a Member on here with his stock M sport Springs and his aftermarket Eibach Springs with the idea that I am putting my style 95s on it in the spring and the Eibachs might be too low so then I would have the already lower M sport springs and shorter struts and shocks.
But the front M Sport Struts are a <1/8th inch larger diameter at the base and do not fit into the XI front spindles where the pinch bolt holds them. I can post a photo if anyone would like to see what I am saying.
My options are three ways as I see it
Either grind out the spindle the C hair that is needed (which is easiest, most cost effective and my likely path)
Or put the Eibach springs on the stock XI struts (but then I fear that is too much of a drop for those struts and the XI Rake everyone mentions)
Or worst case buy some Front Bilstein sports if they exist for the XIs as they should be shorter.
Either way it should look BA when I am done
Correct. Non xi struts do not work on xi. You can use the springs. I'd recommend the Bilstein on all 4 corners.
      02-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
ajsalida
Major

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

DO NOT GRIND OUT THE FRONT SPINDLES! Jesus.

If you examine the front spindles on an XI without a strut installed they have a cup-lip machined in them all the way around. Lower strut profile matches this and tightly. Furthermore I think the non XI strut even if you could get it in there bottom would sit too low relative to front drive shafts when car is on the ground.

The issue with Eibachs being too low is in back. I am presently running EIbach front and OEM non XI ZSP rear springs which gives a nice drop with perfect match F/R fender tire gap, and no rear rake.
      02-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
bruning6
Private First Class

Drives: 08 135i, 09 335i LCI

No no after further inspection the lip in the spindle is way more then just a little lip - it is about 2 inches deep- I put the springs on the xi struts for now and will order at set of bilsteins -
It is back on the ground and all done - it looks flush i like it - now to see how it rides

Last edited by bruning6; 02-27-2014 at 11:01 PM.
      06-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
aadum
Private

Drives: 330 xd

any updates on your ride with bilsteins? Did you go with b8 and how much it costed?
MODS:Stage 2 300HP/710nm,Throttle response delay deactivated,K&N Air Filter,Cat/DPF Removed,Straight pipe, Dual Exhaust (335d style) ,LCI rear lights,M3 mirrors, H&R sport springs ,Ta Technix shocks, Summer M6 wheels 235/35/19 &/275/30/19 Winter M5F10 225/40/18
      06-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
aadum
Private

Drives: 330 xd

didi anyone tried to change spindle from xi to an i model? Is it possible?
Attached Images

MODS:Stage 2 300HP/710nm,Throttle response delay deactivated,K&N Air Filter,Cat/DPF Removed,Straight pipe, Dual Exhaust (335d style) ,LCI rear lights,M3 mirrors, H&R sport springs ,Ta Technix shocks, Summer M6 wheels 235/35/19 &/275/30/19 Winter M5F10 225/40/18

Last edited by aadum; 06-20-2014 at 06:22 PM.
      07-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco

Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [2.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadum View Post
If its possible than all of the airbag companies would easily be able to offer and xi application..so far nobody I know of has tried or is willing to
      07-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
stashtrey
Major

Drives: 08 335xi Sedan Titanium Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadum View Post
Won't work with the half shafts and bearing setup. Totally different assembly.
      07-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
ajsalida
Major

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Won't work with the half shafts and bearing setup. Totally different assembly.
Nah, he should try it
      07-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
stashtrey
Major

Drives: 08 335xi Sedan Titanium Silver

Garage List
There is a good assortment of coilover kits specially made for the 3 series xi. You can also get modified koni yellows from TC Kline that are shortened and modified to allow longer strut travel which is the issue with any shock except a coilover, stock or TC Kline strut. Pricing isn't that bad today either.

Do it the right way and you'll be thankful when you're not crashing the front struts due to improper setup.