E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 stand-alone downpipe fix



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Slops
Major General
South Africa
59

 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford


Posts: 5,361
iTrader: (2)

N55 stand-alone downpipe fix

So wouldn't it be nice to have a downpipe fix for the N55 separate from the piggies auto deleting it? I mean, I'd feel a hell of a lot better taking my car in for regular service by just having a downpipe fix intercepting the two 02 and simulate that shit while i took my whole tune out.

Most guys would hate to take their DP out every time they hit the service up right? Why doesn't BMS support N55 like they do the N54 in terms of a DP fix?

I mean its cool that the Piggies can clear the code when its thrown, but why not stop that shit before it happens? I dunno, just a thought cuz when i come up for my regular service, i'm gonna be hard pressed to take my dp out and i know there's going to be a "SES" light staring the SA in the face.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
462


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth


Posts: 14,904
iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
So wouldn't it be nice to have a downpipe fix for the N55 separate from the piggies auto deleting it? I mean, I'd feel a hell of a lot better taking my car in for regular service by just having a downpipe fix intercepting the two 02 and simulate that shit while i took my whole tune out.

Most guys would hate to take their DP out every time they hit the service up right? Why doesn't BMS support N55 like they do the N54 in terms of a DP fix?

I mean its cool that the Piggies can clear the code when its thrown, but why not stop that shit before it happens? I dunno, just a thought cuz when i come up for my regular service, i'm gonna be hard pressed to take my dp out and i know there's going to be a "SES" light staring the SA in the face.
It's the same reason the piggybacks all run stock air/fuel ratios with the N55. There is no easy way to intercept the oxygen sensors.

The CAN Tool works great as a DPFIX though. Just remove it when you drop the car off. It's not likely they will drive long enough on a highway to trigger the light when its in the service bay. You also get the in dash gauges, shift light, etc, with the CAN Tool. With the JB+ Quick Install tune the boost gauge is pretty accurate too.

Mike
Attached Images
 
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Slops
Major General
South Africa
59

 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford


Posts: 5,361
iTrader: (2)

Thanks Mike, I would have to drive to my nearest dealership which is 45 min away though. When i put my dp on it did take about that long for the light to come on and only showed up after i started the car after the trip. I guess i'll have to find a place to stop close to the dealership and take my tune out and hoping the SES light will stay off while there.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Slops
Major General
South Africa
59

 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford


Posts: 5,361
iTrader: (2)

I had the CAN tool but sold it without thinking about this as a DP fix... maybe i'll have to pick one up again just for dealer visits.... ugh
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
24

 
madmanhiker's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Fl


Posts: 1,565
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
It's the same reason the piggybacks all run stock air/fuel ratios with the N55. There is no easy way to intercept the oxygen sensors.

The CAN Tool works great as a DPFIX though. Just remove it when you drop the car off. It's not likely they will drive long enough on a highway to trigger the light when its in the service bay. You also get the in dash gauges, shift light, etc, with the CAN Tool. With the JB+ Quick Install tune the boost gauge is pretty accurate too.

Mike
I am using the CAN tool just like this as well. I does work... no error lights, and the shift lights with the fuel gauge hijack for boost is nice... i just wish I knew exactly what psi is am at during WOT. I am contemplating the air-vent ECS Tuning gauge... but it looks like its only for n54
__________________
-madmanhiker jax,fl
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Jesse@MBRP
DERP
United_States
9

 
Jesse@MBRP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X5
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lexington


Posts: 313
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
It's the same reason the piggybacks all run stock air/fuel ratios with the N55. There is no easy way to intercept the oxygen sensors.

The CAN Tool works great as a DPFIX though. Just remove it when you drop the car off. It's not likely they will drive long enough on a highway to trigger the light when its in the service bay. You also get the in dash gauges, shift light, etc, with the CAN Tool. With the JB+ Quick Install tune the boost gauge is pretty accurate too.

Mike
How exactly does this work? I see the tool plugged into the OBDII port and the cable ran.
__________________
2013 X5 50i
2009 Porsche 911 C2S
2014 335i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Kalud
Lieutenant
10

 
Kalud's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada


Posts: 582
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
I am using the CAN tool just like this as well. I does work... no error lights, and the shift lights with the fuel gauge hijack for boost is nice... i just wish I knew exactly what psi is am at during WOT. I am contemplating the air-vent ECS Tuning gauge... but it looks like its only for n54
There is always the P3 Vent Gauge also, works with the n55: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466515

Interesting feature is the real boost readout for n55:

Quote:
How does it read boost/vacuum?
We don't like to give you "sorta boost" or "pre-boost" ... we like to show actual real manifold boost. Boost data can be read directly from the manifold by tapping at the DV's with the included plug and play sensor for N54's... For N55's we will offer reading boost/vac directly off canbus, as the n55 has a sensor on the manifold!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
462


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth


Posts: 14,904
iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
I am using the CAN tool just like this as well. I does work... no error lights, and the shift lights with the fuel gauge hijack for boost is nice... i just wish I knew exactly what psi is am at during WOT. I am contemplating the air-vent ECS Tuning gauge... but it looks like its only for n54
The boost gauge calibration is listed in the guide. 1/2 tank = 10psi, 3/4 tank = 15psi, etc.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
24

 
madmanhiker's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Fl


Posts: 1,565
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The boost gauge calibration is listed in the guide. 1/2 tank = 10psi, 3/4 tank = 15psi, etc.

Mike
right... so (for me) WOT the needle shoots to just over 1/2 tank. I believe it maxes out just under 3/4... so... that would appear to be 12/13 psi.

I just want to know specifically the psi. I'm thinking the P3 vent gauge is what I need. It appears to be an easier installation than the ECS Tuning pod as well.
__________________
-madmanhiker jax,fl
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
vwrefugee
Private First Class
4

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada


Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
It's the same reason the piggybacks all run stock air/fuel ratios with the N55. There is no easy way to intercept the oxygen sensors.
Could you expand on this Mike? Does this mean that none of the piggies have control over fueling? Is this inability to intercept the oxygen sensors part of the reason JB4 for the N55 doesn't seem to be forthcoming anytime soon?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
462


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth


Posts: 14,904
iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwrefugee View Post
Could you expand on this Mike? Does this mean that none of the piggies have control over fueling? Is this inability to intercept the oxygen sensors part of the reason JB4 for the N55 doesn't seem to be forthcoming anytime soon?
Yep. Until BMS can get richer than stock air/fuel ratios they don't feel comfortable going over Stage1 boost levels. Make perfect sense to me.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
ciomas
Captain
Poland
11

 
ciomas's Avatar
 
Drives: M4
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 3city PL


Posts: 670
iTrader: (0)

I got the engine light and o2 sensor error after doing ca 4k km, which I thought wa quite unusual. then I plugged the CAN tool only once to clear the code and been driving without errors and codes ever since (almost two months)
__________________
335 - Íhlins//Swift//M3 front suspension//M3 subframe bushes//Quaife LSD//AR Design Catless//Forge Intercooler//Alcon BBK//Goodridge//AFE//RPI//Fenders - SOLD
M4-Mineral Gray/Full Shakir Orange/DCT/M Ceramic/M Adaptive Susp.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Slops
Major General
South Africa
59

 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford


Posts: 5,361
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciomas View Post
I got the engine light and o2 sensor error after doing ca 4k km, which I thought wa quite unusual. then I plugged the CAN tool only once to clear the code and been driving without errors and codes ever since (almost two months)
Awesome, so did you leave it plugged in or did u take it out after deleting?

I just bought my second can tool from BMS so I'm really interested in this. I'm going to do my own test runs as well to see how long it takes for the light to come on again.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
Slops
Major General
South Africa
59

 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford


Posts: 5,361
iTrader: (2)

so turns out I created this thread a while ago ... lol. Still I dont think there is anything out there that works the same way as the dp fix for the n54?

I have to do state emissions every year, and i dont want to keep taking my dp off just for that. Iis BMS just not going to try and make a dp fix for us?

I mean, i have a piggy and i can delete the cell no problem... but we all know you have to let the system become ready again before you do the emission test. Without the tune and a fix for the light, there's no way in hell i can get passed.

Please make one somebody!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
ronny214
New BMW Owner
United_States
9

 
ronny214's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i (e90) Black/Tan
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Correct. At this time for N55 we can delete codes, but that puts them in Not Ready. Texas, for example, considers Not Ready the same as Failed. The only thing you could do is clear codes, drive around till they change from Not Ready to Ready, and then get your car to the inspection location before the sensors have time to detect something is wrong and fail over to Failed.

At least that is my understand of how things stand for the N55 till we get a DP Fix.
__________________
2011 E90 335i LCI // Jet Black / Beige Dakota Leather / Double-VANOS/ Premium / Sport
Mods // Cobb Stage 2+ Aggressive / ER Charge Pipe / AR 4" Down Pipe / AA FMIC / LUX H8 v3 Angel Eyes / HPB Interior LEDs / Wavetrac LSD
Other // Shell Rotella T6 5w40 / 18" APEX EC-7 Wheels (9" Front|9.5" Rear)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Slops
Major General
South Africa
59

 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford


Posts: 5,361
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny214 View Post
Correct. At this time for N55 we can delete codes, but that puts them in Not Ready. Texas, for example, considers Not Ready the same as Failed. The only thing you could do is clear codes, drive around till they change from Not Ready to Ready, and then get your car to the inspection location before the sensors have time to detect something is wrong and fail over to Failed.

At least that is my understand of how things stand for the N55 till we get a DP Fix.
yeah same in PA. I understand it though that as the system gets ready, there are a few thing things your car checks before it gets there. So it wont be ready if it passes all those checks and will essentially keep failing unless we do something else to the 02 signals like they do in the N54...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
ronny214
New BMW Owner
United_States
9

 
ronny214's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i (e90) Black/Tan
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If i understand it correctly once you drive the car around for a little bit it moves from Not Ready to Ready. Then you have to drive the car a bit more for it to detect something isn't right and move to Failed. So there is that tiny window there before the sensors detect a problem.
__________________
2011 E90 335i LCI // Jet Black / Beige Dakota Leather / Double-VANOS/ Premium / Sport
Mods // Cobb Stage 2+ Aggressive / ER Charge Pipe / AR 4" Down Pipe / AA FMIC / LUX H8 v3 Angel Eyes / HPB Interior LEDs / Wavetrac LSD
Other // Shell Rotella T6 5w40 / 18" APEX EC-7 Wheels (9" Front|9.5" Rear)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
Slops
Major General
South Africa
59

 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford


Posts: 5,361
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny214
If i understand it correctly once you drive the car around for a little bit it moves from Not Ready to Ready. Then you have to drive the car a bit more for it to detect something isn't right and move to Failed. So there is that tiny window there before the sensors detect a problem.
Hmmm... I hope so cuz then I can make it work
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
SpartanGA
First Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA


Posts: 388
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
Hmmm... I hope so cuz then I can make it work
what I dont understand is if you get the electronics to play nice and time it right, what allows the exhaust itself to pass emissions when you have removed the cats?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
Slops
Major General
South Africa
59

 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford


Posts: 5,361
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
Hmmm... I hope so cuz then I can make it work
what I dont understand is if you get the electronics to play nice and time it right, what allows the exhaust itself to pass emissions when you have removed the cats?
Because my state only checks for codes and not the air quality out the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
SRT14PimPin07
Captain
Armenia
25

 
SRT14PimPin07's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 935
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Yep. Until BMS can get richer than stock air/fuel ratios they don't feel comfortable going over Stage1 boost levels. Make perfect sense to me.

Mike
So this means were running higher boost and taking in more air. "Thus making your air/fuel ratio leaner". Were not getting more fuel into the engine to help balance this out?

Isn't that bad. Your engine will get hotter faster, cuz there won't be enough fuel to fully lubricate the pistons.

Correct me if im wrong....
__________________
2011 Alpine White E92 335i M-Sport N55 Engine
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #22
adrock
Major
United_States
23

 
adrock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SLC


Posts: 1,219
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [4.79]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I'm in the same boat, had to remove my DP because of a "not ready" code that the emissions guy wouldn't pass.

What CAN tools are available for the n55? Does the BAV Tech tool work?
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST