E90Post

Evolve Automotive

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni Yellow & H&R springs. ISSUES! Front Arch's rubbing!

11-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Koni Yellow & H&R springs. ISSUES! Front Arch's rubbing!

Hi Guys,

I am having my shop professionally install my Koni Yellows and H&R Springs on my e92 335i

They have road tested, and they say the car is completely decked, and it is rubbing all the time.

They have even had to install 5mm spacers so the wheel does not hit the shock!?

I have stock 18" MV3s on there for now until my 19s arrive.

Should this be happening?

What could be wrong?

Can the springs be faulty?
The Koni dampers would not lower the car more than stock dampers would they?

Has anyone else had these really bad rubbing issues? and what possible ways are there of solving this?

PLEASE HELP... The car is in the shop, and they cannot stop scratching their heads.
Josh1a1h is offline   United Kingdom
      11-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
longliven54
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

hmmmm. i dont see that happening unless you have super high rubber on your wheels or you got h&r race springs for max drop.
my friend has h&r with koni on his 135 with 19" without any rubbing or spacers req.
can you tell a bit morr about your wheel n tire sizes? or if you have h&r sport or race springs
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
longliven54 is offline   Canada
      11-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

They are definitely H&R Sport Springs.y head. They are Michlen SS tyres.

I was shocked to hear that a 5mm spacer was needed just to stop the wheels hitting the damper!

EDIT
Here is how the car is sitting...It looks as if it is on race springs. BUT it isn't.
Anytime you turn the wheel it is rubbing the fender horribly.

As you can see... The front wheel is almost tucked, which shouldnt be the case on Sport springs.

Last edited by Josh1a1h; 11-07-2012 at 11:56 AM.
      11-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
longliven54
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

contact whoever sold you those springs,and confirm if they are race or sports???

i have never heard of h&r sagging over time, maybe check your shocks/struts to see if they are leaking..

i am currently trying to pair my konis with some springs as well(i have 19" wheels). eibach offers the least drop but its still 1.4in in front(thats too much for me).
rubbed over bumps. i may just have to pair sport springs for that lil bit of a drop + less body roll and be happy with it
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
longliven54 is offline   Canada
      11-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
jpirelli
Power is nothing without control

Drives: E90 + E92

Installation error
      11-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

It's a professional shop.
Al parts are brand new
They have fitted these springs thousands of times
They have already reinstalled these a number of times. First time to remove the sp lowering perchers.
They double checked part numbers on the box as well as the actual springs.mthey are correct.
The shocks are brand new and they would have noticed if they were leaking?

Maybe faulty springs? Defects? They can't be installed upside down can they?
      11-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

They worked out the problem.

No one has mentored this as of yet.

the reason it was dropped so far was because they had bought m sport springs to go on the Koni Yellow shocks. but the Koni shocks accept SE H&R Springs.

So right now they have put the springs on my stock dampers, and I should have everything fitted next week...

Along with. My BBS LM-Rs
      11-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
TC Kline Racing
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's

Yeah, this doesn't sound right. You can't install them upside down, so that wouldn't be the problem. Something else is going on here. Dampers would have nothing to do with it as springs dictate ride height, not dampers.

Was the car aligned after it was installed? Not sure why they are rubbing, but it does not sound normal.

Sorry I can't be more help.
TC Kline Racing is offline   United_States
      11-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

They called Koni and asked what was up.

Supposedly the Koni Yellows are completely different to the Mtech suspension.
Koni Yellows accept SE Springs not Mtech Springs.

If you install H&R springs meant for Mtech dampers, or Koni Yellow dampers, then the ride sits 15mm lower that they should.

Yes i had full laser alignment.