E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The annoying interior rattle thread

Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #1
Ao1
Private

Drives: E92 MSport Coupe

The annoying interior rattle thread

I know there are a few threads on annoying rattles, but I thought it might be handy to have a thread dealing with all types of rattles and more specifically fixes.

Iíve noticed that rattles can occur under different driving conditions and/ or temperatures making it really hard to track them down.

I drove to Wales this weekend and as the roads got less smooth a rattle from the front trim became evident. As soon as I got back to smother roads it stopped. The rattle stopped when I placed my finger hard on the trim just to left hand side of the centre vent.

Having taken the trim off I noticed that when the centre vent is in an open position the mechanism that opens and closes it is loose and it was open when I was driving. Regretfully I did not think to close the vent, so if this was the problem or not I do not know, but just in case I thought I would prevent any chance of it rattling by using a rubber band so that when the vent is open there is no play.

The other thing I noticed is the clip to retain the trim does not fully engage, so again I used some rubber bands to provide a buffer just in case this was the problem. Have I fixed it? Iím not going back to Wales for a while, but it seems to have done the job, although I want to drive the car on some rough roads before confirming.
Attached Images

Yesterday, 11:53 AM   #2
Ao1
Private

Drives: E92 MSport Coupe

The other annoying rattle I have been able to fix sounded like it came from inside the dash. It was a constant rattle at high speed on smooth motorways. Spanning across the engine there is a tray. It is difficult to remove without braking the clips and somewhere along the line that is exactly what happened. One clip had snapped off allowing the tray to become lose on one side. It is hard to fix as the clip is part of the shroud so I had to glue the clip back in place. Worked so far, although I suspect the clip will break again if the tray is removed. Itís not a good design. Easy to break, near impossible to fix.
Attached Images

+1
      Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #3
DerekGates
AW E92

Drives: 335is

I am thankful that you not only posted the symptoms of rattles but also the fixes you have applied.

I have a rattle above the 3rd brake light in the rear of my E92. I will apply some vacuum hose cut in half to prevent the plastic rattling against the rear glass.
DerekGates is offline   United_States
      Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #4
Digitalize
Photographer

Drives: E91 320D M Sport TiAg

I have a rattle top left corner of my radio.
      Yesterday, 03:24 PM   #5
makkan00
Major General

Drives: E91 330D

Thanks for sharing.
If most of us can share these things, it would be brilliant
      Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #6
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

I have a very annoying rattle from the plastic surround of the rear view mirror.

When it comes slightly loose it rattles annoyingly. If i push it back in place, it is fine for the moment...
I can just wedge something between the window and the plastic, but it aint pretty.

Ill sort in due course.

Josh1a1h is offline   United Kingdom
      Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #7
kev335i
Private First Class

Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Lol rip it off fixed nice
      Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #8
jan31
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 328i Coupe Space Gray

Garage List
I have a rattle noise coming from the cup holders. Any idea how to fix that one?
jan31 is offline   United_States
      Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #9
dest
Captain

Drives: 330d Msport Touring

You lot need to get some anti rattle tape!
Its basically sticky tape with felt on, put it between any surfaces that rub together and the problem is solved
dest is offline   United Kingdom
      Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #10
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan31 View Post
I have a rattle noise coming from the cup holders. Any idea how to fix that one?
I have this as well!.. On occasion. It is usually when im on motorways
It is from the closest one to the drivers side.

If i open it, the rattle goes away.
Josh1a1h is offline   United Kingdom