E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stock Brakes (Upgrade For Track)?

11-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
shaginwagon13
Captain

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Stock Brakes (Upgrade For Track)?

Hey guys,

The car has now officially been put inside storage for the winter months, so now I wanted to start on upgrading.

Next season I wanted to take the car to the track. Right now, spending $5,000+ for a BBK isn't something I want to do so what are the best options I have for beefing up my stock brake system?

This is what I was thinking:

1) Aftermarket OEM Replacement Rotors (Any suggestions?)
2) Brake Fluid (Leaning towards ATE Blue Race Brake fluid)
3) Brake Lines (Any suggestions?)
4) High Friction Pads (Leaning towards Cool Carbons)
5) Are there any good OEM replacement Calipers out there to buy?
shaginwagon13 is offline   Canada
      11-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Wrong section
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
      11-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
shaginwagon13
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Wrong section
Sorry.... Can a MOD please move me into the proper section.
      11-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
CHECKERED
Racing is Life, everything else is just waiting.

Drives: 335i E92, 05 Audi S4

Garage List
2005 Audi S4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Hey guys,

The car has now officially been put inside storage for the winter months, so now I wanted to start on upgrading.

Next season I wanted to take the car to the track. Right now, spending $5,000+ for a BBK isn't something I want to do so what are the best options I have for beefing up my stock brake system?

A BBK is less than you think:
K-sport staring at $1,600
http://ksportusa.com/b2c/products.php?cat=1179
Stoptech Starting at 3K
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-14...-e9x-335i.aspx

1) Go with blanks, you can spend more money on brand rotors but that’s not really necessary
2) Motul RBF 600
3) Stoptech makes good lines so does techna-fit, I used both without any issues.
4) Hawk HPS for performance or Hawk ceramic for street use
5) nope

what are you trying to accomplish with your setup?
Daily Driver: E92 335i N54: JB4 G5 ISO27.13 w/BMS Flash, quaife LSD, BMS Meth, AA sport IC, BMS Charge Pipe, BMS OCC, Euro Light Switch, M-Sport Kit; 12.1@117mph (100 octane, stock intake stock exhaust, 225ís RFT)
CHECKERED is offline   United_States
      11-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
1) Rotors not necessary.
2) Motul RBF or ATE Super Blue
3) Stoptech or Evolution Racewerks
4) Pads will depend on what you want out of them. There is always a trade off.
5) No

What flaws do you currently find in your OEM brake setup?
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      11-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
benzy89
Banned

Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Upgrade your pads, fluid & stainless steel lines.

No point in BBK unless you're legit, tracking the shit out of the car
benzy89 is offline   United_States
      11-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Transport3r
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Drives: N54 E92 & N52 Z4

I went with a Turner Motorsport Upgrade kit, I am very pleased.
Got the Slotted TMS rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TMS Stainless braided lines, and ATE Type 200 fluid.
Brake feel is very linear and maximum brake force was noticeably improved.

11-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
shaginwagon13
Captain

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
what are you trying to accomplish with your setup?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
What flaws do you currently find in your OEM brake setup?
I have never tracked my car before and I really want to start next season. I am currently happy with my stock performance for everyday driving, but I heard the stock set-up fades fast under high heat conditions when you track the car. I don't mind spending the money for a big brake kit, but since I have never done it before, I wanted to give it a try to see if its really something I will enjoy doing before I invest the money. I figure upgrading my current OEM stuff is a good way to improve the brakes for a few track days until I can see if it is something I will be doing often.
      11-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
n54gte
First Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate the help.

I have never tracked my car before and I really want to start next season. I am currently happy with my stock performance for everyday driving, but I heard the stock set-up fades fast under high heat conditions when you track the car. I don't mind spending the money for a big brake kit, but since I have never done it before, I wanted to give it a try to see if its really something I will enjoy doing before I invest the money. I figure upgrading my current OEM stuff is a good way to improve the brakes for a few track days until I can see if it is something I will be doing often.
I'm planning on going to the track for the 1st time with a friend of mine. The stock pads do suck and it doesn't break well once it heats up. I was thinking of just upgrading brake lines, fluid and changing to some aftermarket pads. That should be good.
      11-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

I run hawk ceramic
With Zimmerman cross drilled rotors
And motul, was good enough for me this year
COBB Powered, Spec2+, Wavetrac, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, Zimmerman cross drilled rotors, hawk carbon pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
      11-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
N54_Fan
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hey guys,

I track my car and have started with just upgrading the pads to Hawk HPS. They did ok initially but as I got faster I noted that they seem to fade a bit. I also had upgraded to SS brake lines and Motul RBF 600. I think NO MATTER WHAT you need SS brake lines and Motul RBF 600 or equivalent fluid. Whatever fluid you choose make sure it has a high dry and as high as posible WET boilng point. This helps determine how much water the fluid can have in it before it begins to boil. The fluid builds up water with use and therefore this is an important determinant of adequate fluid. Most (>80%) of the people I have spoken to that track their cars frequently use Motul RBF 600. (This is including Corvette and Porsche guys). Also I have read some sacry stories of Hawk HPS pads fading REAL BAD when someone pushes the car. In fact there are some Porsche Club guys and Instructors actively trying to BAN these particular pads for the HPDE days. I heard and read about this on multiple sites!! So I chose to switch pads given that I was getting faster.

I chose Racing Brake's 2 piece slotted racing front and rear rotors. These are stock size which is plenty big for the track. I have come to the conclusion that a BBK is a waste of $$. These rotors are less and the replacement rings are less than the BBK ones and just as good if not beter quality. The quality of the rotor largely depends on the way the metal is used to create the rotor and the quality of the metal. The various patterns of slots and vents are mostly marketing as all quality rotors will suffice (ie Stoptech, Brembo, DBA, Racing Brake, AP Racing/Stillen, etc). We are not racing LeMans here... therefore I chose the cheapest replacement costs rotors. RB's are reportedly longer lasting rotors as well. RB recommends Hawk DTC pads to mate with their rotors but I have heard they are loud, dusty, and wear out relatively quickly (think higher consumable costs). Again I went with the least expensive replacement choice. For me this was Performance Friction. I chose PFC 08 pads. These are race pads that are made for 24hr endurance races...like Lemans. So again they should last longer than other pads. They have nothing but stellar reviews and cost is comparable to Hawks. They also do not dust as much. They do squeal but not at high speeds.

So how do they perform?...AMAZING!!! I do feel some shuddering as they took some time to bed but these brakes stop so fast that your head will hit the windshield when you stomp on the brakes. This is NO exaggeration!!!Absolutely ZERO FADE from first stop to last in a 30 min session. This is on stock calipers too. I am convinced that with this setup there is very little to gain by getting dedicated race quality calipers unless you are looking for slightly less weight.

That should answer all 5 questions. I was in the same boat as you and this was my conclusion after weeks of research.

Good Luck.
Drive Safe,

N54_Fan

Last edited by N54_Fan; 11-08-2012 at 09:54 PM.
      11-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
shaginwagon13
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
I track my car and have started with just upgrading the pads to Hawk HPS. They did ok initially but as I got faster I noted that they seem to fade a bit. I also had upgraded to SS brake lines and Motul RBF 600. I think NO MATTER WHAT you need SS brake lines and Motul RBF 600 or equivalent fluid. Whatever fluid you choose make sure it has a high dry and as high as posible WET boilng point. This helps determine how much water the fluid can have in it before it begins to boil. The fluid builds up water with use and therefore this is an important determinant of adequate fluid. Most (>80%) of the people I have spoken to that track their cars frequently use Motul RBF 600. (This is including Corvette and Porsche guys). Also I have read some sacry stories of Hawk HPS pads fading REAL BAD when someone pushes the car. In fact there are some Porsche Club guys and Instructors actively trying to BAN these particular pads for the HPDE days. I heard and read about this on multiple sites!! So I chose to switch pads given that I was getting faster.

I chose Racing Brake's 2 piece slotted racing front and rear rotors. These are stock size which is plenty big for the track. I have come to the conclusion that a BBK is a waste of $$. These rotors are less and the replacement rings are less than the BBK ones and just as good if not beter quality. The quality of the rotor largely depends on the way the metal is used to create the rotor and the quality of the metal. The various patterns of slots and vents are mostly marketing as all quality rotors will suffice (ie Stoptech, Brembo, DBA, Racing Brake, AP Racing/Stillen, etc). We are not racing LeMans here... therefore I chose the cheapest replacement costs rotors. RB's are reportedly longer lasting rotors as well. RB recommends Hawk DTC pads to mate with their rotors but I have heard they are loud, dusty, and wear out relatively quickly (think higher consumable costs). Again I went with the least expensive replacement choice. For me this was Performance Friction. I chose PFC 08 pads. These are race pads that are made for 24hr endurance races...like Lemans. So again they should last longer than other pads. They have nothing but stellar reviews and cost is comparable to Hawks. They also do not dust as much. They do squeal but not at high speeds.

So how do they perform?...AMAZING!!! I do feel some shuddering as they took some time to bed but these brakes stop so fast that your head will hit the windshield when you stomp on the brakes. This is NO exaggeration!!!Absolutely ZERO FADE from first stop to last in a 30 min session. This is on stock calipers too. I am convinced that with this setup there is very little to gain by getting dedicated race quality calipers unless you are looking for slightly less weight.

That should answer all 5 questions. I was in the same boat as you and this was my conclusion after weeks of research.

Good Luck.
Drive Safe,

N54_Fan
Wow thank for the reply. That's exactly what I was looking for, some comparisons and recommendations for certain pads and rotors.

I'm going to look a little more into these RB rotors.
      11-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #13
335okc
Captain

Drives: e90 335

Quote:

Good Luck.
Drive Safe,

N54_Fan
why not castrol srf?
      11-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #14
markusvt

Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
5X the cost for almost the same specifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
why not castrol srf?
      11-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
N54_Fan
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
5X the cost for almost the same specifications.
Exactly,...Motul RBF 600 is about $17/ bottle. The RBF 660 has slightly better numbers but nearly 2x the cost.
      11-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
335okc
Captain

Drives: e90 335

have you guys seen the wet boiling point of srf? nothing comes close to it.
I'm not trying to argue, just having a discussion.
      11-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
N54_Fan
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
have you guys seen the wet boiling point of srf? nothing comes close to it.
I'm not trying to argue, just having a discussion.
At >$60 per bottle I would rather have the Motul (~$17/bottle) and change it more frequently.
      11-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

Drives: SB Pre-LCI 335i

Quote:
Wow thank for the reply. That's exactly what I was looking for, some comparisons and recommendations for certain pads and rotors.

I'm going to look a little more into these RB rotors.
WOW Thank you N54Fan!

That was a perfect write up.

Just out of curiousity. How is this setup from cold and for daily driving? Does it behave like stock? I do not want to lose my breaking when the discs and pads are cold.

Cheers
      11-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
Rotorocious
Major

Drives: 335i

Whatever lines you get, be sure they include the 2 rubber lines that go to the rear subframe. Most kits skip those 2.
      11-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #20
SilverII
Colonel

Drives: '11 335IS

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [4.83]
335is ducts (fog light delete - more airflow to brakes)
SilverII is offline   United_States
      11-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
JamesM3M5
Some dude

Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i

Castrol SRF is the racing brake fluid choice of just about any pro team, and you do not have to flush it as often as others due to its high wet boiling point. For people who run RBF600 on the street, I recommend changing fluid at least twice a year, more often as you do track events (usually a quick caliper bleed every event).
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is offline   United_States
      11-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #22
CHECKERED
Racing is Life, everything else is just waiting.

Drives: 335i E92, 05 Audi S4

Garage List
2005 Audi S4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I chose Racing Brake's 2 piece slotted racing front and rear rotors. These are stock size which is plenty big for the track. I have come to the conclusion that a BBK is a waste of $$.
have you tried a BBK on your car to draw such a conclusion?
Daily Driver: E92 335i N54: JB4 G5 ISO27.13 w/BMS Flash, quaife LSD, BMS Meth, AA sport IC, BMS Charge Pipe, BMS OCC, Euro Light Switch, M-Sport Kit; 12.1@117mph (100 octane, stock intake stock exhaust, 225ís RFT)
CHECKERED is offline   United_States